Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 09/03/13 21z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Now the down side of being near the coast shows its hand. A rapid thaw,temp and dew point rising again. Looks like it will be one of those night were showers fall and settle but quickly melt as soon as the shower has passed threw.

but as the night goes on the temp will fall to below freezing

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

The wind is forecast to bend round to a more North-Easterly tomorrow,so should be some

impressive showers hopefully with thunder thrown in.

Posted

Remind me why anyone thought anywhere in our region apart from about the first 100m along the coast would get anything tonight? N'lies are awful for here. We need an E'ly element. Always do.

Thats not true, Northerlies do need to have a slight NNE'ly tilt to them and unfortunately looking at the charts, its more NNW'ly tilt so its very marginal in terms of how far showers go far inland but Northerlies can and do deliver.

The easterly on the 18Z run looks convective too me, look at how low those thicknesses and pressure are! Certainly potential there if it set ups right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

but as the night goes on the temp will fall to below freezing

For you inland it will, im to close to the sea unless it very cold upper 850s like yesterday there little chance i will get below freezing. Go a couple of miles inland and it will. I live 50 meters from the beech so i get the full effect of the modifacation from the sea.

Posted

Thats not true, Northerlies do need to have a slight NNE'ly tilt to them and unfortunately looking at the charts, its more NNW'ly tilt so its very marginal in terms of how far showers go far inland but Northerlies can and do deliver.

The easterly on the 18Z run looks convective too me, look at how low those thicknesses and pressure are! Certainly potential there if it set ups right.

THat's what I meant when I said an Ely element, GS, i.e., a slight E'ly vector rather than a straight N'ly.

Posted

Thanks to much lighter winds today felt far milder than yesterday and especially so in the Sun which is now as strong as it is in late september. However it took until early afternoon for most sheltered spots to loose snow cover. À Word on yesterday again, what à spécial treat,none biting cold it was sévère for march, indeed anytime in the winter.

Posted

Some beefy showers getting going now according to the radar wouldent be surprised to hear the odd rumble of thunder during the night

Edited by seabreeze86

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

For you inland it will, im to close to the sea unless it very cold upper 850s like yesterday there little chance i will get below freezing. Go a couple of miles inland and it will. I live 50 meters from the beech so i get the full effect of the modifacation from the sea.

my nan lives just opposite the stray cafe so i understand what ya saying Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

Some beefy showers getting going now according to the radar wouldent be surprised to hear the odd rumble of thunder during the night

Do me a favour and show them the way to Middlesbrough once you're done with them :)

Posted

THat's what I meant when I said an Ely element, GS, i.e., a slight E'ly vector rather than a straight N'ly.

Apologies Nick, I mis-read your post, but a stright Northerly can deliver, but any NNW'ly tilt then its more marginal for sure.

I think showers will develop down the eastern side but how heavy and frequent there be will be a more difficult call, it would appear tomorrow morning is our best for the heaviest showers but as per usual its radar watching.

Posted

my nan lives just opposite the stray cafe so i understand what ya saying

Put it this way if snow falls here and in boro it will melt here well before it melts in boro if the wind is off the sea. The north sea is currently 5 degrees or so therefore it modifies the temp close to the sea makes it slightly milder in the the winter, althouh it doesent feel it and colder in the summer.

I will do my best Snowmaggedon

I think places like Skelton and Guisbrough will get a good few cms by the morning.

Edited by seabreeze86

Posted

Put it this way if snow falls here and in boro it will melt here well before it melts in boro if the wind is off the sea. The north sea is currently 5 degrees or so therefore it modifies the temp close to the sea makes it slightly milder in the the winter, althouh it doesent feel it and colder in the summer.

I will do my best Snowmaggedon

I think places like Skelton and Guisbrough will get a good few cms by the morning.

isnt that also to do with the salt in the air as my nans says lol

Posted

isnt that also to do with the salt in the air as my nans says lol

Lol my nan also says that, another heavy shower here this one seemed to be a bit more sleety than the last.

Posted

Apologies Nick, I mis-read your post, but a stright Northerly can deliver, but any NNW'ly tilt then its more marginal for sure.

I think showers will develop down the eastern side but how heavy and frequent there be will be a more difficult call, it would appear tomorrow morning is our best for the heaviest showers but as per usual its radar watching.

No problem GS!

My hopes aren't high. So far this year almost every convective possibility has ended up delivering far less than it appeared to promise.

Posted

Very heavy snow here now complete whiteout, huge flakes falling a compete whiteout got to pedel to work in a hour that should be fun.

Posted

Not even a flake here in Middlesbrough, think it was dry as a bone overnight as well. It's just started snowing over the last couple of minutes, borderline moderate but it's sticking to the pavements and cars.

Edited by Snowmaggedon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Just started lightly snowing here

Posted

looks like the showers are starting to come inland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The showers are starting to move NNE->SSW now so the rest of us should be seeing snow soon.

Posted

The showers are starting to move NNE->SSW now so the rest of us should be seeing snow soon.

Can't see nearly enough movement yet. I think it'll be a while if at all that most of us see anything more than a flurry or maybe the odd, brief shower.

Posted

A fairly heavy snow shower hitting Middlesbrough now, snow is sticking quickly to everything......More or less a whiteout now......snow still falling and it's gone quite dark

Edited by Snowmaggedon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Today is panning out pretty much how I expected it to snow showers are along the coastal strip getting about 15 miles inland here in Darlo at 26 miles inland its another day of sunshine and variable cloud with the melting of snow continuing

Looking at the sky and the cloud is moving straight down from the North

Currently 2.7c

Dew Point: -5.2°C