Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 11th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Heavy sleet here at the moment after cold, icy rain all morning. Those pics from further north are unbelievable, with much more to come as well. I expect the southern extent of snow to move south through the afternoon, may see a few centimetres here I hope. I'm hoping to head up some of the high ground near here over the weekend, Radnor Forest must have some decent snow depth right now I would think. Current temp 2.0c, max today may well turn out to be the 2.1c that we reached half an hour ago.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

definately over the wellie top in lying snow. Snowploughs have been through and cleared a narrow corridor along the main road of the valley - which is good - but resulting in 2 ft or more of packed snow up against the cars. Essential supplies in - lemsip, soothers and tissues for husband, bottle of wine for tonight. Husband laughs at me when I pack the baskets in the lean to with logs - enough for 3 - 4 days - laziness on my part - don't fancy trogging down to the logshed in this much snow. Where snow whoomped off the roof overnight, is a ridge of packed snow a foot up - not seen it like this since I used to live in Hognaston in the early '80s and used to walk into Wirksworth or Ashbourne for supplies! I remember then that an early Shrovetide used to followed, sometimes, by blazing hot sunshine for Easter and then snow for Flash point to point (or poss other way round).

Edited by snefnug

Posted

Snow is just getting heavier and heavier, really intense at the moment. Going to be over 12 inches very soon

Posted

Hmm in comparison to other nearby areas, Im wondering if I was a bit more sheltered than others (I was on the leeward side of the Berwyn Mountains)

Corwen to Rhuthun area, snow turned to that horrible frozen pellety stuff (11am onwards) that seems to aid melting!

Snow Conditions at 700ft/210m asl: Compacted a fair bit since this morning and becoming wetter, slight melting on roofs

Snow depth down to 7-8 inches

305m/1000 ft asl: Snow depth around 8.5 - 9 inches.

350masl quarry to my south was about 10 inches......

Wonder how deep tops of Berwyn are?......Cant see them or the Bryniau Clwyd....must be snowing heavily to the east hey Hywel?

P.S. Took a fully charged camera on a 2mile walk to picture the landscape .....as soon as I went to take a photo...it said "battery exhausted" grrr....wont try until tomorrow...

too knackiering.....dwi wedi blino'n lan! sad.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by Richard Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Turning to sleet here even though its 5 degrees

Posted

So this Winter the west of us has been pasted with snow and now the east of us. It started off well last night but then it quickly changed to rain leaving a messy slush that knowone wants. Has to be one of the worst places in Wales to live if your looking for any type of winter weather. For us here in the Colwyn Bay area 2010 is miles ahead of any other winter as we actually had a decent snow fall, damn they are rare :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

So this Winter the west of us has been pasted with snow and now the east of us. It started off well last night but then it quickly changed to rain leaving a messy slush that knowone wants. Has to be one of the worst places in Wales to live if your looking for any type of winter weather. For us here in the Colwyn Bay area 2010 is miles ahead of any other winter as we actually had a decent snow fall, damn they are rare sad.png

To be fair, that is always going to be the case on the North Wales Coast.

Posted

starting to snow quite heavily here again

Same here, footprints starting to fill in. Pretty well cut off now.

Pete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Im dumbstruck as i can see the concrete here.. and just over the river, people are cut off.. rofl.gif

Posted

Wonder how deep tops of Berwyn are?......Cant see them or the Bryniau Clwyd....must be snowing heavily to the east hey Hywel?

Im right in the Bryniau Clywd, local hill is just over 400m, going for a walk up there soon. Been down to Mold in the Defender, a good 8 inches down there even. It is snowing very heavily here. I am expecting power cuts again soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Im right in the Bryniau Clywd, local hill is just over 400m, going for a walk up there soon. Been down to Mold in the Defender, a good 8 inches down there even. It is snowing very heavily here. I am expecting power cuts again soon.

You must promise to post pics!!!!!

Posted

To be fair, that is always going to be the case on the North Wales Coast.

My point was other places to the East and West on the coast have been plastered this winter and we have had zip in comparison

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

You must promise to post pics!!!!!

I am a couple of miles away and I want to see pics too!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

My point was other places to the East and West on the coast have been plastered this winter and we have had zip in comparison

The area between Colwyn Bay and Llandudno (including Conwy) is as mild as the SW tip of Cornwall, so it's not surprising at all to me!

Posted

I am a couple of miles away and I want to see pics too!!

have a look on the news it shows lots of pics and video of the snow on there, probs get it on bbc I player

Posted

Im dumbstruck as i can see the concrete here.. and just over the river, people are cut off.. rofl.gif

It's amazing what a difference being just a few miles inland with a bit of altitude can make. I sit on the 350 foot contour line and as the crow flies just 4 miles to the England/Wales border at Shotwick . Deeside at sea level has about 2 inches up to now apparently.

Pete

Posted

Absolutely amazed at some of the reports and pictures from North Wales. If only it had been two degrees colder here, etc. Encountered a blizzard at Dowlais Top and along the mountain road at around 10 last night, absolutely terrible conditions.

Sleet in Merthyr and here in Nelson at the moment, feeling bitterly cold and very raw.

There's a possibility of some snow in east and inland southeast Wales overnight and into tomorrow.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

Still sleet and hail here. Slightly frustrating to be so close to epic snowfall and yet so far away, but then again we generally do quite well for snow here and you can't always be in the sweet spot. Still expecting a few centimetres later this evening and into tomorrow, and will go snow hunting on the hills at the weekend.

Posted

here were getting the N wales snow now, almost whiteout proportions.... Pete I'm over 300 feet myself!