Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 11th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

The snow continues to fall. One of the best snow events in my living memory. Just concerned for the venerable and the emergency services as many communities are cut off and without power. Even the towns like Mold, Buckley and Wrexham are struggling

Edited by Hywel

Posted

Fantastic for our Welsh cousins - Enjoy! In Scotland below 200m there is generally nothing to speak off away from Dumfries and Galloway.

I'm looking outside my window to an inch of snow in central Glasgow, of all places, right now?

Obviously far more impressive in North Wales and the Midlands though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Just across the border in Heswall (Wirral), looks like we were under the same stuff as those in Mold and Buckley and the general Flintshire area... none by the coast though really.

post-3-0-05578800-1364036708_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Heavy rain constant until about 9oclock last night,then it started sleeting,woke up this morning with snow on roofs cars and grass!! Must of had some decent snow through the night but I missed it! Is there any forecast for us today?

It came down for our area heavily between 2am and 3:30 - in bucket loads - it accumulated to about 3 inches by 3:30 - I was up watching it due to a problematic young neighbour, police turning up with dogs - couldn't sleep - woken up at 2am to an amazing sight!

Was a great watch with one policeman being dragged on his back by one of the dogs because he slipped in the snow - funny as hell!

JK

Posted

Fizzling out now - guess that's it for this time. It's been real!

Goodness knows how I'm going to get my car out on Monday morning.

Edited by A_T

Posted

Lost power last night, a tree right outside the house came down. Just had our power restored so here's an update. Snow depth an amazing 22 inches and this is causing some major problems. We have umpteen trees down including 2 that came down overnight and are resting on the roof. Several more huge branches have come down and more look likely to. I had a really lucky escape when I went out at 8 this morning to listen to the news on the car radio. As the drive is very sheltered it only had a small amount of snow so I decided to reverse a few feet, within 5 minutes a huge branch fell exactly where my car had been sitting.

Enough is enough now, looking forward to a thaw so I can get out and do some shopping.

Pete

Posted

In Corwen to the west of you we have about 12-14inches.... we are more in the "rain shadow" of the Berwyn Mountains here so not as bad!

Snow depths are very uneven here though (strangely as there was little wind)....some slopes have 2 foot consistently....others only 6/7 inches??? ...got chillblanes from that excursion sad.pngbiggrin.png hehe

Seems those east of the Afon Clwyd and east of Corwen got hit worst then looking at those pictures down the ceiriog and alyn valleys

Edited by Richard Lewis

Posted

Pics, these were at 8:am this morning. Sorry if some are wrong way round, still learning. Still snowing.post-13067-0-83845500-1364031137_thumb.jpost-13067-0-19555500-1364031151_thumb.jpost-13067-0-96589100-1364031177_thumb.j

Any news from those higher up towards Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog or over towards Llangynog/Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant?

Posted

Sounds like you lot have had some amazing snow in North Wales - slightly jealous although I wouldn't want trees and power lines coming down I must admit!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

post-19721-0-31743900-1364044591_thumb.jpost-19721-0-75540000-1364044628_thumb.jpost-19721-0-17527700-1364044658_thumb.j

Spent the morning clearing the lane outside my house. A small JCB, tractor and a couple of hours later.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Llangollen webcam, deep snow even along the river Dee:

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/wales/Dee-(Wales)/Llangollen/

post-19721-0-31743900-1364044591_thumb.jpost-19721-0-75540000-1364044628_thumb.jpost-19721-0-17527700-1364044658_thumb.j

Spent the morning clearing the lane outside my house. A small JCB, tractor and a couple of hours later.

Incredible! Thanks for sharing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Getting another pasting here. JCB has just gone past and cleared road and dumped 5 foot of snow in front of our car. So even if we wanted to get out we couldnt. Thanks mate! Cat has finally woken up to the fact that there a gazillion birds outside our window waiting for supper - time to boil some more barley couscous......... run out of everything else!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Never mind, am consoling myself with the fact that I have nearly, very nearly, perfected the art of making Derbyshire Oatcakes!!! A bit of home from home.

Posted

Some pics from this morning

P3235435_zpsaf76d98c.jpg

P3235440_zps398f4f9d.jpgP3235443_zpsc174d5c0.jpgP3235444_zpsdd33a8b1.jpgP3235417_zps58f0f4ba.jpgP3235419_zps55534eb4.jpgP3235426_zps0aec78de.jpg

Pic at the top is my lane. There's a road under there somewhere.

Pete

Edited by PeteB

Posted

GFS 12z - and so the cold rolls on - and on - and on - no let up it seems - right out to the 7th April - amazing!

Posted

A cold week is no fun when it's also dry! Next weekend is looking interesting for heavy snow though. :)

fingers crossed for S Wales to be in the firing line this time..

Posted

I've not seen this much snow in one go since the early '80s. We have just got a passable route through the valley, but I know many smaller communities will be cut off. So how come it only got an amber warning and not a red one, when a couple of weeks ago there were red warnings blaring out and ....................... oh wait, we ain't major conurbations..................

Photos of our lane on Long Mountain Nr Welshpool. Around 10 to 12 inches of snow with significant drifting in places up to 6ft deep across the roads. Some of the drifts are more like cornices . Currently -2. Even the ploughed roads will be treacherous in the mornig

post-10512-0-21038600-1364069459_thumb.j

post-10512-0-81046000-1364069534_thumb.j

Edited by Dickie_D

Posted

med_gallery_781_51_188032.jpg

24 inches out on the tape!

med_gallery_781_51_156947.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Those pictures Hywel are crazy! I remember the picture with the table yesterday and the amount of accumulated snow in 24hrs is amazing for winter..let alone for March!

Edited by Panayiotis