Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 11th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

It all depends on the approach from the South West, a bit of luck and we could be in the firing line, history suggests that the sweet spot can be rather small, however given the snow events this March, nothing can be ruled out.

The latest Weather for week ahead forecast also went for snow for southern areas, UKMO/ECM is going for a slow progression with decent chance of snow in southern areas, at least to start the weekend, but not that heavy precipitation at this stage. The GFS is more progressive and would give less snow.

Given the changes in the past 24 hours, further changes will happen, anything from a complete rain event with South Westerlies to Cold staying in situ with no breakdown is still possible.

Met Office Latest Look ahead

UK Outlook for Friday 29 Mar 2013 to Sunday 7 Apr 2013:

Many areas starting dry and cold with some sunny spells, though a few snow showers possible, mainly in the north. Cloudier, windier and more unsettled conditions are then likely to spread across southern areas, slowly heading northeastwards during the Easter Weekend into some more central parts of the UK. This rain may be preceded by snow, heavy at times. Meanwhile, northern and northeastern areas may well escape this wet weather, and instead remain drier and brighter over Easter, but still very cold with scattered snow showers. Into the start of April, cloud and rain or snow in the south will tend to ease, with some sunny spells developing for many, though further snow showers in the east. Temperatures still below average, but perhaps a little less cold than at present.

Edited by Jackone

Posted

It certainly is - getting quite heavy now. No let up!

Thanks .perhaps a slight easing of cold towards easter but still cold according to met latest update .

UK Outlook for Friday 29 Mar 2013 to Sunday 7 Apr 2013:

Many areas starting dry and cold with some sunny spells, though a few snow showers possible, mainly in the north. Cloudier, windier and more unsettled conditions are then likely to spread across southern areas, slowly heading northeastwards during the Easter Weekend into some more central parts of the UK. This rain may be preceded by snow, heavy at times. Meanwhile, northern and northeastern areas may well escape this wet weather, and instead remain drier and brighter over Easter, but still very cold with scattered snow showers. Into the start of April, cloud and rain or snow in the south will tend to ease, with some sunny spells developing for many, though further snow showers in the east. Temperatures still below average, but perhaps a little less cold than at present.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Well that's a very interesting outlook to say the least! Need some warmth though !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Snowing again now, with strong winds blowing lying snow. Having spent last hour digging a 1ft wide path to the log store, while husband did the same to the gate, out of undrifted snow depth of 2 foot, to see our car pretty much snow bricked in, I have never seen so much snow, and I would like it to stop now please. Thank you.

Posted

Who'd have thought we'd have an ice day this time of year but the temp hasn't got past -1 all day and the wind makes it feel absolutely bitter.

Posted

A pretty quiet day today. We've seen some fresh snow but not enough to stick. Wind has picked up a little bit and is gradually removing some of the large clumps of snow from the conifers that were threatening to come down. Temperature is just above freezing so there's a bit of a thaw but hardly anything really. I'm still trapped in the house with the highways authority unable (or unwilling) to give me any details on when my lane, some 200 metres long, will be cleared. Ironic really as believe it or not I am just half a mile away from the main depot and the 3rd or 4th house closest to it.

Oh my, the sun has just come out!!

Pete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

My neighbour (70 years old) has just finished completely clearing his 40ft by 40ft drive! I, to my astonishment, have found that I am married to Marlon Brando, as man who has hacking cough and flu wanders in, gets coffee and mumbles about someone called Sebastien..... grand prix....... mumble mumble, cough....................... exit room.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Oh its a cold one out there today! 1c and a biting blustery wind! Surprised to see some cars in the Cardiff central to have snow on them, probably snow covered from the valleys. Looking foward to this week and hopefully the weekend delivers!

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Nefoedd wen! Dan ni'n cael ein caethiwo gan yr eira trwm eto!

Good heavens! We are being snowed in again!

Thanks wind!

The lane leading out is quite a deep sunken lane here and yet its filled upto the tops of the hedges.

Had to cross along the hedges to reach the village shop for supplies!

post-19937-0-35695300-1364139157_thumb.j

post-19937-0-33307100-1364139197_thumb.j

post-19937-0-69417800-1364139306_thumb.j

post-19937-0-18775700-1364139333_thumb.j

I was walking over the hedges here. (above and bottom)

Took this picture at waist height ... as glare was causing problems

post-19937-0-81143900-1364139356_thumb.j

post-19937-0-58303700-1364139254_thumb.j

^^^ Further down the lane

Edited by Richard Lewis

Posted

How do u upload photos any1? Thanks

So click edit on your post, on the bottom click "Use Full Editor", when that webpage appears, click "Choose files". Locate your image, and click open on it. The file should upload and make sure you attach it.

post-17320-0-83659400-1364140521_thumb.p

post-17320-0-32703300-1364140528_thumb.p

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

I knew deep snow wasn't far away, drove up to Radnor Forest, about 20 miles north of here, and the A44 east of Crossgates is lethal with drifting snow taking it down to a single carriageway in several places, lots of bits and pieces of cars left lying around as well. Then went for a walk up the top and the snow depth was incredible, 50cm lying and drifts of 1m+. Will post photos tomorrow because I can't find my camera cable at the moment and I'm too exhausted to look for it. Walking in that snow depth more or less impossible I resorted to crawling across the top.

Still snow cover here but down to about 3-4cm. Max today on -0.4c, incredibly low for 24th March. Was18c on 24 March 2012.

Posted

I knew deep snow wasn't far away, drove up to Radnor Forest, about 20 miles north of here, and the A44 east of Crossgates is lethal with drifting snow taking it down to a single carriageway in several places, lots of bits and pieces of cars left lying around as well. Then went for a walk up the top and the snow depth was incredible, 50cm lying and drifts of 1m+. Will post photos tomorrow because I can't find my camera cable at the moment and I'm too exhausted to look for it. Walking in that snow depth more or less impossible I resorted to crawling across the top.

Still snow cover here but down to about 3-4cm. Max today on -0.4c, incredibly low for 24th March. Was18c on 24 March 2012.

I can sympatheise.....I was trying to walk on a hedge without impaling myself coming back from the store...but slipped into the 6ft deep buried road....the snow drift was upto my mouth and was going down my coat.....I had to keep calm and dig my way up then crawl upto the hedge!....so tiring...no wonder people have heart attacks in the snow!

Foolish I was I know sad.png haha

Edited by Richard Lewis

Posted

Really quite surprised that a red warning wasnt issued by the met because looking at the pictures and reports in the last couple of days parts of the UK had much more snow than the valleys did back in January when they received the red warning wacko.png

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Well, the snow finally stopped at last in Mold. The main roads in and around town are clear but only one lane where the plough has cleared it, the snow piled high everywhere. No-one can walk on the pavements, everyone's walking on the road.I dug our road out yesterday as you can see in the attached pic. My sister wanted to come up from Birkenhead, but I told her she;d have to park in McDonalds, 3/4 mile away so she didn't bother.

post-12837-0-33689700-1364147132_thumb.j

Llongyfarchiadau i tim pel droed Wrescam i ennill i Cwpan FA Trophy 2013.

Really quite surprised that a red warning wasnt issued by the met because looking at the pictures and reports in the last couple of days parts of the UK had much more snow than the valleys did back in January when they received the red warning wacko.png

Without wishing to turn this into a Mt Office bashing exercise, I agree with this.

Edited by Jackone

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Bash away we usually do. Something to do with population affected being small cf the valleys and dare I say the se?

Posted

Efallai dylwn ni fod yn cwyno'n fwy am y diffyg sydd wedi bod mewn adrodd am hanes y Gogledd Ddwyrain yn enwedig! Newyddion y BBC yn anwybyddu'r ardal bron iawn hynny'n fwy o broblem na'r diffyg rhybuddion, i fod yn deg mi oedd yn sefyllfa anodd iawn ei broffwydo ond mi oedd rhybuddion yno - beth yw'r gwahaniaeth rhwng coch ac amber yn y bôn? Fawr o ddim i'r sawl nad ydynt yn dilyn hynt a helynt y tywydd fel ninnau - rhybudd = rhybudd iddynt hwy.

Maybe we should be complaining more about the lack of attention payed to North East Wales especially! The BBC news have nearly ignored this area in comparison with other areas, that is more of a problem than lack of red warning IMO. To be fair the situation was a tricky one to predict but there were warnings there - I mean what is the difference between a red or an amber warning in reality? Little to those that do not follow the weather like we do - a warning = a warning to them.

Llongyfarchiadau WRECSAM - Congratulations

Posted
I mean what is the difference between a red or an amber warning in reality? Little to those that do not follow the weather like we do - a warning = a warning to them.

In the past that might have been true, but I think the Met Office's colour-coded warning system has planted itself into the public consciousness. That red warning sent people into overdrive in this area, and in the event it was just a fairly average moderate snowfall. I'm usually quick to defend the Met Office from attack, but I don't see the logic in not issuing red warnings covering the affected areas, since high winds and 25-40 cm of snow was widely predicted. It may be the case that red warnings are only issued in areas with high population density, but that's (very) cold comfort to those who are still digging themselves out and without power.

That said, I'm green with envy.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

GFS 12z & Countryfile now going for a significant snowy end to this week - thursday night/friday morning - especially for Wales

Posted

In the past that might have been true, but I think the Met Office's colour-coded warning system has planted itself into the public consciousness. That red warning sent people into overdrive in this area, and in the event it was just a fairly average moderate snowfall. I'm usually quick to defend the Met Office from attack, but I don't see the logic in not issuing red warnings covering the affected areas, since high winds and 25-40 cm of snow was widely predicted. It may be the case that red warnings are only issued in areas with high population density, but that's (very) cold comfort to those who are still digging themselves out and without power.

That said, I'm green with envy.

Na i fod yn deg ti'n iawn, a hefyd wrth ystyried mae ardal Yr Wyddgrug, Fflint a Wrecsam yn ardaloedd poblog iawn wedyn mae'r ddadl ar ran poblogaeth yn ddibwys bron iawn, er imi geisio ffeindio rhesymau pam, mae'n amlwg mae cawl potsh yw'r sefyllfa ar ochr y Swyddfa Dywydd - hynny yn ategu at y galwadau'n fwy am swyddfa dywydd i Gymru!

No to be fair your correct, and whilst thinking about Mold, Flint and Wrexham they are actually very very populated areas of Wales, then the population reason is a bit void really isnt it, even though I tried to find reasoning for the obvious failure of the Metoffice, it's evident that there is a lot of blame on them - this just enhances the need for a Welsh Met office, with Cyfoeth Naturiol Cymru the new body for the forestry comission/enviroment agency etc - perhaps we should seriously look at this.

Posted

Yes, it also occurred to me that North East Wales is fairly heavily populated. West Yorkshire has also been badly hit, and that's one of the most populated parts of the UK, and makes the lack of a red warning even more puzzling.

I'm not sure the financial cost or the size of Wales would justify a Welsh Met Office. The Met Office is respected around the world, and generally the forecasts they provide are extremely accurate and serve all of the UK well. They do occasionally slip up of course - nothing can be guaranteed when it's the weather you're talking about - but I don't find they have too much of a regional bias, unlike certain areas of the media.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

Regarding the post about only us looking at the weather warnings,but sorry that is false. When ever there is snow forecast for S.Wales especially capital radio station states the warnings out in place.My parents knew about the warnings issued as it was said on the radio. Teachers in my school were talking about the red warning which was shown back in Jan. Also many watch the news and you dont even need to be listening to see where snow is going to fall and cause disruption.

So in that said the Metoffice do their best to try and send out their signals to the public.

BTW models looking good for some snow this weekend! Possibly some light flurries before though...

13032500_2418.gif13032518_2418.gif13032506_2418.gif

Edited by Panayiotis