Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/03/13 13z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

I do like the look of that mass of convective precipitation over the west midlands that is growing and heading directly towards the South-West :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Can you wait until April?

I can try but after being teased last Tuesday with a beautiful sunny day with temps about 15c it is difficult. A week ago I went out on my bike in a t shirt, today I went out with the dogs looking like Michelin man! I wouldn't mind it so much if we didn't have that biting wind, its too painful. My husband grows a beard to protect his face in preparation for cold spells for working on the farm, as much as I try I just can't get mine to grow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

My personal opinion is that next week could be our first proper "spring convective" spell of weather.

I think any further significant or indeed semi-significant snowfall will now be reserved from the Midlands northwards with perhaps the highest ground down our way getting a covering if the cold air advects perfectly.

I think a common phrase that could be heard next week is "Wintery showers". When viewing the output for next week, look at what time PPN will fall, the intensity of the PPN and the temperature differential the models show between sunny periods and cloudy periods. Whilst the upper air temps obviously need to be cold, at this time of year other factors such as nocturnal cooling, evaporative cooling and intensity driven PPN can also come into play.

I can see next week being a typical spring convective spell with a trough and associated low thickness values over the UK. Sunny spells and heavy showers could be the form horse, with temperature under the sunshine pretty pleasent and feeling warm, but when shower cells come along, these temperatures will drop sharply and we could see anything from rain, sleet, snow, hail, thunder, lightning etc.

Could be a very interesting period of weather next week for convective fans, all dependant on exactly where the trough sets up shop of course.

As for the rest of this week. We could see further showers of rain, sleet and snow tomorrow as a trough peps up PPN from the north and heads south over the region. Then turning less cold at the end of the week and into the weekend, with the return of spells of heavy rain (currently see nothing more than rain for our region on Saturday, maybe something a little wintry on Sunday but a long way off yet).

Interesting weather personally I think for the foreseeable, although the end of this week doesn't look too special with cold rain likely for our region.

Convective fans get ready, think we could have some interest next week.

Edited by AWD

Posted

I do like the look of that mass of convective precipitation over the west midlands that is growing and heading directly towards the South-West smile.png

Yes that has shown on the Models , it is not suppose to reach most of us , but will be interesting to see how far it get's ....

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Yes that has shown on the Models , it is not suppose to most of us , but will be interesting to see how far it get's ....

looks to be fizzling out abit as it gets closer but time will tell

Posted

looks to be fizzling out abit as it gets closer but time will tell

Yeah there's a masssive Snow shield just East of Birmingham .. Showers struggle to get over the Derbyshire Hills. Sun might add some intensity at this time of day though ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

From what I can gather, it is to be a week of well scattered showers and sunnier intervals with the winds eventually backing towards the North later today and for a couple of days thereafter. Most showers clinging to the immediate coastline. However, by the weekend, things are looking much wetter with heavy prolonged cold rain on Saturday, perhaps with a brief period of leading edge snowfall.

I can hardly contain my joy.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Yeah there's a masssive Snow shield just East of Birmingham .. Showers struggle to get over the Derbyshire Hills. Sun might add some intensity at this time of day though ...

It seems to be doing a pretty good job of progressing south-westward - it's already reached Worcestershire and is approaching the Severn Valley. Perhaps, as you say, the sun will be on our side this time.

Posted

The Northern Band of the Precipitation has gone into Wales , Not quite sure weather the Southern Section will hit the Bristol Channel or not , Interesting to watch ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I can try but after being teased last Tuesday with a beautiful sunny day with temps about 15c it is difficult. A week ago I went out on my bike in a t shirt, today I went out with the dogs looking like Michelin man! I wouldn't mind it so much if we didn't have that biting wind, its too painful. My husband grows a beard to protect his face in preparation for cold spells for working on the farm, as much as I try I just can't get mine to grow!

Probably best that you don't grow a beard, he will be calling you Aunt Sally or Mrs Worzel Gummidge. rofl.gif The biting Easterly will be gone soon. Most probably being replaced by a less biting Northerly or Westerly as time goes on. If you can get out of the wind, I'm sure things won't feel as bad or soon won't be as they currently are.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Had light snow still early this morning but sunshine since mid morning has melted the remains of our snow dusting we had. Temperature is 5.5C dew point still low at -4.0C after an overnight minimum of -1C

No disrespect to our central southern neighbours but south west weather can be quite different at times, next winter i'd like to see a south west regional thread back please.

And Bristol's weather can be completely different to that in Cornwall! Should it be split further into a south west & a west thread, or how about a county by county thread? This snow we have had in central southern parts is just as rare here as if it were to have happened in the far south west! And besides most of us only got a dusting, the heaviest snow has been in Sussex & the Channel Islands anyway, it's not like we always get loads of snow lol laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I can hardly contain my joy.....

Please remember I don't make the weather. When there is a glimmer of Spring warmth looking like returning, I'm sure you will get to hear about it. blum.gif Mother Nature is being a bit of a bi - itch lately but then mankind doesn't exactly help matters I guess. We are in a typically transitional period now and I quite like the variety and wish for some proper warmth as much as I do, a bit of wintry action, perfect weather for me!

Gorgeous out there today!

post-15177-0-30534300-1363098190_thumb.j

Wrapped up and out of the wind, yes. acute.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Back home after another day sledging. Went down some tight lanes and was met by a wall of snow. Turned out it was an abandoned van and was covered !! The drift reached 8ft in places !! So many tress down too. Thaw has begun but schools closed again tomorrow and my work closed before my shift began !!

Posted

Latest NAE showing a showery, wintry mix coming down from the north tomorrow;

post-12721-0-95234000-1363100455_thumb.jpost-12721-0-64783600-1363100459_thumb.j

Posted

Yep the weather on BBC South Today at lunchtime showed a 'wintry mix' tomorrow, with snow showeres reserved for higher ground.

Posted

some half decent looking showers moving into bristol area...

Posted

A few flurries on the breeze about 15 minutes ago and that now makes it three consecutive days of snowfall for Newbury so quite impressive with maybe more to come. A maximum of 4.4c today which is well below the average expected March maximum, somewhere scraping the low double-digits.

Posted

Nothing here currently aside from sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Yes we have another snow shower moving in from the north east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

We might be lucky and catch one this time.

Posted

Breaking up just before they reach me lazy.gif Thought they might pep up as they hit the mendips sorry.gif

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

Well, there are flakes falling from the sky here in Henley... very overcast now but I was wearing sun glasses earlier! dirol.gif Bitterly cold wind swirling the falkes around so they're not really settling. Temperature 2.5c. Always very excited to see the snow...clapping.gifbiggrin.png

Kinda glad it's gonna warm up a little tomorrow... out surveying trees all day again!

Edited by Iggy912