Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/03/13 13z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Do I go to work in Chichester tomorrow or be sensible? Trains haven't coped with this so I expect delays! Trains + snow = Carnage!

Posted

I'm at work... Anyone give me a quick update on any impending snow in our area? Ta muchly

Posted

Just seen met office have changed their forecast. Apparently the snow will stop here in couple of hours and won't extend to 3-6am tomorrow morning.

I wouldn't be too sure they are correct on that liam. Look at the radar.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

That band of snow in the Channel has just started to move more northward. At least it seems so to me. If that northward movement continues then I can see more areas couldl get snow again I reckon. Someone said today would be now-casting. How true that has proved to be.

Posted

Hi emg, I think the main problem was that blizzard conditions prevailed for about an hour, (certainly here on the edge of Bognor and close to the sea) and I think it just overwhelmed anything that was put on the road. Scenario is grit + heavy snow = water on road, + sub-zero wind chill = ice on road + continuing heavy snow = ice covered by snow. Result = very dangerous driving conditions. Polar Bear is right, if you don't have to drive tonight or tomorrow then please be wise and stay home. It will soon start thawing late tomorrow I would have thought so consider your loved ones before you drive in the morning..

I have no plans to go back out there until it is all gone! It was interesting though as it was far more slippy than you would have guessed by looking at it but then the temp was so low, can't remember the last time we went below zero in the day time in Bognor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

That band of snow in the Channel has just started to move more northward. At least it seems so to me. If that northward movement continues then I can see more areas couldl get snow again I reckon. Someone said today would be now-casting. How true that has proved to be.

Probably know within the next hour then.

Posted

Do I go to work in Chichester tomorrow or be sensible? Trains haven't coped with this so I expect delays! Trains + snow = Carnage!

I reckon I would sooner risk delays on the trains than the buses personally. They don't slide so far!!

Thankfully we don't have any major hills on the coastal strip. pity anyone trying to cross the South Downs tonight though! Bury Hill and Duncton Hill roads closed. Only way to London would be up from Worthing but then Findon is dodgy at the moment so perhaps would have to travel as far as Brighton to go up the motorway.

EDIT. Looking at the M23 webcam here http://www.theargus....il.6071213/ am not too sure even that would be a good way up to London.

OOPS link doesn't work. Better try the Argus websiste http://www.theargus.co.uk/ and check the traffic alert page for M23

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Agreed, the main front that has been sitting in the channel is now moving Northwards with showers moving SE along the Northern flank gaining strength all the while!

This evening could bring the unexpected. Certainly looking that way at present

SM

Posted

I have no plans to go back out there until it is all gone! It was interesting though as it was far more slippy than you would have guessed by looking at it but then the temp was so low, can't remember the last time we went below zero in the day time in Bognor.

I agree, the last time I remember was in the '70's and having to drive up to London in -6C daytime temps in an old Morris 1,000 (Jelly Mould) that had no heater!! I remember the smell of spraying de-icer inside the windscreen to this day. NOT fun.

By the way emg, what is your location? can you put it into your profile please as it makes it easier for others to see what the local weather is in your area. Thanks if you can.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter snow

Has anyone noticed the precipitation off the South coast of Devon? Where did that come from? It looks as though its moving north!

Posted

Has anyone noticed the precipitation off the South coast of Devon? Where did that come from? It looks as though its moving north!

Most likey for our region, East Hampshire/Portsmouth/IOW maybe Southampton but I think thats the very extreme...

Today has been full of surprises anyway, so could go either way

SM

Posted

watching with interest as it is right over me now.

Posted

been on buses in snow before - very scary! Trains were ok last time but were already a nightmare this afternoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

I reckon I would sooner risk delays on the trains than the buses personally. They don't slide so far!!

Thankfully we don't have any major hills on the coastal strip. pity anyone trying to cross the South Downs tonight though! Bury Hill and Duncton Hill roads closed. Only way to London would be up from Worthing but then Findon is dodgy at the moment so perhaps would have to travel as far as Brighton to go up the motorway.

EDIT. Looking at the M23 webcam here http://www.theargus....il.6071213/ am not too sure even that would be a good way up to London.

OOPS link doesn't work. Better try the Argus websiste http://www.theargus.co.uk/n,ews/ and check the traffic alert page for M23

Findon is dodgy, I turned round and went back earler when trying to go up the Long Furlong (A280) as traffic came to a standstill. I think the problem with the condition of the roads was down to the fact that they salted and gritted earler when the snow wasn't settling and it simply washed it all away. When the intensity increased and the temperaures dropped the snow stuck and that caused the problems, the traffic crawled along and the gritters couldn't make headway at all. STILL SNOWING & BLOWING like the clappers here in Angmering, piling in from the Channel according to the radar. clap.gif Edited by Purga

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

My eyes are also on that stuff south of Salcombe over the sea, not so sure that it is coming inland though. search.gif One thing is for sure, the Air Temperatures are dropping liking a stone, in spite of the strong breeze to gale force winds in places. Currently sitting at -2.5c here in Newbury with a -8.3c wind-chill. I wouldn't want to be homeless or out on the streets in this weather. cold.gif I fully expect Temperatures to drop further to -5c to -7c quite widely, more especially in places with snow cover. Of note, by morning, there will seemingly be no frost apparent on road surfaces, so expect plenty of black ice where there has been overnight precipitation which hasn't laid. The dry air and other causes will create no visible frosting of surfaces, but beware, it is there in reality. excl.png

Take care.

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

looks like its set in for most of the night - either persisent or heavy showers - not a bad choice!

Posted

I agree, the last time I remember was in the '70's and having to drive up to London in -6C daytime temps in an old Morris 1,000 (Jelly Mould) that had no heater!! I remember the smell of spraying de-icer inside the windscreen to this day. NOT fun.

By the way emg, what is your location? can you put it into your profile please as it makes it easier for others to see what the local weather is in your area. Thanks if you can.

Aah that was before I lived in Bognor, lulled by all the publicity about it being the sunniest place, within a few days of moving here (in 2000) a tornado went up my road and we had the worst storms I'd ever seen. It's definitely a good place to be a weather watcher!

(found the bit where I can add my location, thanks for the prompt!)

Posted

Very, very windy out there. Bitter...!

Wonder what will happen with that area of PPN off of Devon? Interesting, but then so were the showers that were pushing east...but fizzled out all so quickly.

Posted

Aah that was before I lived in Bognor, lulled by all the publicity about it being the sunniest place, within a few days of moving here (in 2000) a tornado went up my road and we had the worst storms I'd ever seen. It's definitely a good place to be a weather watcher!

(found the bit where I can add my location, thanks for the prompt!)

Great emg. Thanks for the update to your profile and I now can pinpoint your location even closer because of the tornado in your road. wink.png Only a relatively small area was affected badly. I had a friend in one of those roads. Every single tile was ripped off their roof and the old sash windows had to be replaced as they were almost sucked right out and as she had small children at the time it had to be done as a matter of urgency. And really I am sure last year we couldn't have had the sunshine record either as it was so poor. Not often we get this sort of weather either! I am finding it hard to believe we have had almost 17 hours non-stop snow, must be a record for Bognor.

Posted

Lol! I have moved to the other (poor!) side of town since then but I was in nyewood lane :-) It was the same one that knocked over all those caravans by tesco. I cant believe the extremes we get here, we seem to have had loads of snow over the last ten years and dont even get me started on the flooding!

Posted

Lol! I have moved to the other (poor!) side of town since then but I was in nyewood lane :-) It was the same one that knocked over all those caravans by tesco. I cant believe the extremes we get here, we seem to have had loads of snow over the last ten years and dont even get me started on the flooding!

Friends were in Marshall Ave, long since moved though. Just round the corner from where you were. That was a day for sure!!! All I heard on the other side of town was a loud thump of the front door. You did miss the Hurricane of '87 then. Now that was a night to remember down here.

Today is a day to remember too, never had a March day like this before and I have lived here for 48 years. And still it snows. WOW. Need my sleep now.

Almost forgot, now 3 inches of laying snow in my back garden.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Sky's clearing in Southampton, no more PPN falling. Can't see anything else happening now for us.

Temp is dropping like a stone though -1.5 and dropping. DP of -10 !!!!!! and a ''feels like'' reading of -8.

Crikey.