Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/03/13 13z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunder

Had an hour this morning with a few snow grains blowing in the wind, not much at all and quite disappointing as I've only seen a patchy dusting this winter last month. Been very cold though.

Edited by George

Posted

Snow lighter now but still falling. Just been in the back garden to measure the depth, 2 inches/5cm. didn't expect it to be that much! Front garden, (far more exposed) is 1 inch/2.5cm. So unsure how much precipitation we have actually had today, especially as so much melted before 4.00pm when temps dropped below zero. Currently still -1.7C

Hmmmm.... just checked radar. Snow looks like stopping soon I reckon as the band is steadily edging it's way eastwards.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

-0.8c and started snowing lightly again here in bournemouth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Disappointing here tbh. No Sun, only some light flurries managed to cross the London area and reach here, despite all the showers further north crossing right over the Welsh mountains and into the Irish sea without loosing any strength! constant snow to my south and the showers coming my way just constantly died.

The strong wind has been interesting though I guess.

Didn't you get dumped on by one in February 2009? Though I guess that wasn't as windy as this event is.

I remember what I think is still just about the most snow I've seen in Devon and the UK with that in Mid Devon and Dartmoor, although with that some low elevations like my house had sleet then wet snow and it struggled to settle, which is different to what this event could have been as it would have been below 0C right on the coast, and maybe even at sea.

I confess I have seen heavy snow in past years living on mendips but never a windy event Ie a true blizzard and last 2 years have been terrible now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

-0.8c and started snowing lightly again here in bournemouth

Looking at the meteogroup app it seems to be intensifying on the northern edge sort of in line with where the streamer would extend down to and coming back into hamsphire, 4/10 and very windy at the moment currently -2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in Winter, sunny in Summer :-)

Got a covering here now and when I last checked 5 minutes ago it was still snowing steadily. Wasn't expecting this but not complaining. Will see what the morning brings. Hope it's enough for a snowball fight at least with my 3 and 4 year old sons!

Posted

Not much of an event in Southampton. Really odd, cause I thought we were in prime position for it.

With Havant and the IOW doing well out of this, I'm kind of confused why Southampton has nothing if I'm honest. We can't be too far inland, surely ? As with alot of events usually we're always too near the coast to see real snow....so how irritating is it that when the South does get real snow, we're not close enough to the coast to get it. Looks like we're just stuck in the middle of a weather wilderness! The only weather we get here on a consistent basis is light drizzle.

Woke up with the smallest of dustings, but a bit boring if I'm honest!

Someone raise my spirits..please!

Posted

Snow is back! And this time the roads are gratefully accepting their gift!

SSC - I moved from Southsea last year, just 5 miles away, and the difference in snow events is quite big. Still have over an inch in my backyard from today. In January, the snow stuck around for 4 days. Still, you get the coast in walking distance for those lovely summer days so it's a fair swap!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Not much of an event in Southampton. Really odd, cause I thought we were in prime position for it.

With Havant and the IOW doing well out of this, I'm kind of confused why Southampton has nothing if I'm honest. We can't be too far inland, surely ? As with alot of events usually we're always too near the coast to see real snow....so how irritating is it that when the South does get real snow, we're not close enough to the coast to get it. Looks like we're just stuck in the middle of a weather wilderness! The only weather we get here on a consistent basis is light drizzle.

Havant didn't do well. Has not laid on roads or pavements.

Edited by liam300

Posted

I confess I have seen heavy snow in past years living on mendips but never a windy event Ie a true blizzard and last 2 years have been terrible now.

That's true, I agree even though I've seen heavy snow in the area from channel lows never seen a true blizzard and have been waiting for one, like this would have given if it was 100 miles north! though I guess you could say that for many weather events, if it was positioned differently it would have been better for us etc. A bit frustrating though.

Still I guess this has shown me what is possible, even in March. the few GFS runs that had heavier precip over us showed some of it with widespread -3/-4C temps, and this event has even given snow and freezing temps in the middle of the channel! and of course the Channel Islands.

Posted

Havant disn't do well. Has not laid on roads or pavements.

Weird, spoke to someone who lives in Havant today who said it was a white out. I guess it depends what your definition of a white out is!

Posted

Havant disn't do well. Has not laid on roads or pavements.

This is local extremes!

I'm on the East side of Havant, nearer to Emsworth really, but still classed as Havant...

Got a good covering on all the road and pavements now, probably around 2cm.

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

This is local extremes!

I'm on the East side of Havant, nearer to Emsworth really, but still classed as Havant...

SM

Im in Rowlands Castle and its not laid on the roads to any significant depth either but we have 7cm lying snow.

Posted

Im in Rowlands Castle and its not laid on the roads to any significant depth either but we have 7cm lying snow.

I like the way I said 2cm was a 'good covering'. Just goes to show how much snow we get on the South coast! But yes, we have a 2cm layer of snow on the road and pavement

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Weird, spoke to someone who lives in Havant today who said it was a white out. I guess it depends what your definition of a white out is!

Haha, is certainly not a white out.

Edited by liam300

Posted

This is local extremes!

SM

This is local extremes!

SM

Indeed, just a dusting on the roads here. Hope your snow is coming this way!

Wouldn't call it a whiteout in Portsmouth today, but wouldn't say it was just 'light' either - I think we got a bit lucky today to be exactly where those Thames streamers hit the Channel front.

Latest BBC suggests showers will blow over us from the east all night - maybe its not all over just yet

Posted

Keeping an eye on those showers moving along the Northern front. This happened earlier and delievered some Snow to the IOW and Southern Hampshire

post-9530-0-84399000-1363034716_thumb.pn

SM

Posted

It looks as whilst the front moves east that showers are now moving south west across the top of it. Keep the faith (and your fingers crossed!)

I think Snowmania and I were typing at the same time!

Edited by Crockel

Posted

It looks as whilst the front moves east that showers are now moving south west across the top of it. Keep the faith (and your fingers crossed!)

Just started to notice that myself, could be very interesting. Looks some very heavy pulses in there which could bring some very quick accumulations.

Posted

Keeping an eye on those showers moving along the Northern front. This happened earlier and delievered some Snow to the IOW and Southern Hampshire

SM

this was happening at about 3 this morning before the matchsticks finally snapped and splintered my eye lids :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

any chance of

SM

any chance of those showers just reaching the far east of dorset?

Posted

Just started to notice that myself, could be very interesting. Looks some very heavy pulses in there which could bring some very quick accumulations.

Light snow has just started falling again in Fareham (first time since mid afternoon). L

Posted

I think Snowmania and I were typing at the same time!

Great minds think alike!

any chance of any chance of those showers just reaching the far east of dorset?

I'd just wait and see if I'm honest. An hour ago, they were dying out across E London. So could be anyones guess!

SM

Posted

Light snow has just started falling again in Fareham (first time since mid afternoon). L

Not too far from the Southampton area now by the looks of it. Got a feeling some of these showers may also clip east Dorset.

We may be seeing a constant stream of these showers being blown across all night.