South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/03/13 13z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow/thunderstorms

Looking very very dark towards IOW, must be coming down hard

yep, has been for an hour or so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Ironic that about a couple of days ago i saw posts saying,"cornwall's well placed" and "you should do well"

when in fact, i dont think anywhere in the county has seen,at most,more than a dusting.

Just so dammed frustrating. This was a great chance for us down here.It's fair to say that we might go years now before we see snow again and many years until the next channel low in winter comes along.

It's all very well to say "oh well,there's always next year" but generally that's not the case here.

Anyway,it's only the weather and hey there's always next yeardrinks.gif .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well we have no snow but I can tell you now the ground is easily cold enough for anything to settle! -3c outside with a near gale force wind at times! all ground is frozen with ice all over the lanes from water that was coming off the fields.

Pants event but one of the few ice days you see in march! -1c was our max.

The funny thing about it is I remember the wales regional and all were despondent about no showers and no channel low but just look at ppn totals for today....

post-8911-0-41044800-1363026031_thumb.pn

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear Skies

I'm not a snow lover and happy to have missed the main dumping, but watching the animation on the radar is a work of nature's art at its finest. Half the weather briskly flowing south west cross most of the country bashing into that great hunk of red sitting in the channel which tries to rise and rotate but never quite manages it. Simply beautiful to watch :)

If the sky clears at any point in the next couple of days (As us astronomer types wish) then the temps are going to plummet!! Anything is better than the anti-cyclonic gloom we've had the last few weeks.

Posted

And next winter we will all be drawn into the chase again,lol

Yeah youre quite right. Noticed on the MOD channel they are still chasing the next storm deep into spring. Well this gargantuan near miss has made me grumpy lol. I feel like gatecrashing the thread and screaming no! I dont want more false promises. I dont want cold rain and heating bills I can ill afford. I want spring. Winter has let me down again and it can just do one!! This time next year we!II all be snow millionaires lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Looks like he precipitation is veering off right....looking very sparse over Poole/Bournemouth way.... :-/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Not sure when this was issued but I see the south coast east of Chichester is now under an orange warning .. Stay safe peeps. Keep those phones charged and get the torches ready I wouldn't be surprised if there will power cuts tonight ...

Posted

Does anywhere still have hope tonight for more snow? I hope so :-)

Sadly I think it's going to just miss us to the east - some forecasts had it pushing back in later but that would need quite a turn around now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Amber warnings issued for parts of the south east.

All this started off as a south west/south coast event .. that soon ended. LOL tease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Not bothering watching points west tonight, got bbc channel Islands news on instead to get my snow fix lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Extreme conditions remain here in Jersey. Lots of trees down, power lines down (approximately 200 homes without power), roads are now virtually impassable and the snow is relentless. At least 3 inches of fresh snow has fallen since 4pm on top of the 2 to 4 inches we had this morning, but with much deeper drifting occurring. I've a feeling it's going to be a long night.

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Amber warnings issued for parts of the south east.

All this started off as a south west/south coast event .. that soon ended. LOL tease.gif

To be fair though Mapantz, there was always a risk of SNOW affecting the SE overnight into Tuesday. In fact, the powers that be have been talking about it for a couple of days now via the media forecasts.

A real shame for Cornwall and Devon and parts of Dorset and their lack of SNOW but many of us at least got to see some snowflakes.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Yeah, fairly happy with the day's events here, nearly got to 2 inches at one point, ironically the light snow is now settling on all surfaces but I can't see there being enough snowfall to make the most of it tonight.

All models were wrong about the snowfall this evening, even at T6; most had the band correct north/south but 50-100 miles too far west, the NAE had it correct east/west but 30 miles too far south as Sussex are now finding out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

What a forecast that was on bbc channel Islands, blizzard conditions all night tonight , I can't remember the last time I ever seen a forecast like that for the West Country! To say I'm jealous would be an understatement lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

What a forecast that was on bbc channel Islands, blizzard conditions all night tonight , I can't remember the last time I ever seen a forecast like that for the West Country! To say I'm jealous would be an understatement lol

Ive been waiting 20 years for a channel low cray.gifcray.gif I think I might actualy rage quit the snow watch for a day or so then have a little look for any last hopes towards end of week. cray.gif

Posted

Not sure when this was issued but I see the south coast east of Chichester is now under an orange warning .. Stay safe peeps. Keep those phones charged and get the torches ready I wouldn't be surprised if there will power cuts tonight ...

Hi Polar Bear., not surprised about the orange warning. Further East I have heard of two roads blocked by fallen trees and one road blocked by snow. That particular road though is almost right on the coast and judging by the blizzard we had in Bognor for around an hour I am not sure I would want to be out in it further East of here as it is supposed to be worse there..

Just North of Chichester.

A285 Duncton

A285 Live travel

A285 both ways closed, hazardous driving conditions due to snow and ice at Beechwood Lane. Callers report the road is impassable.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Hi Polar Bear., not surprised about the orange warning. Further East I have heard of two roads blocked by fallen trees and one road blocked by snow. That particular road though is almost right on the coast and judging by the blizzard we had in Bognor for around an hour I am not sure I would want to be out in it further East of here as it is supposed to be worse there..

You stay safe cf.. As I said I wouldn't he surprised if you start getting power cuts only in that it doesn't take much down there for them to happen! Told my parents to stay inside.. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Well what a day. Stupid amount of snow, great sledging, put the car into a wall and 2 hedges, mother crashed the sledge in a tree and still up a&e getting stitches in her face and the find out via text that my fence has blown down !!!

Trees down everywhere, car crash city and still snowing. Back out in it @ 7am !!

Posted

BBC South Today weather has just said heaviest snow for West Sussex overnight, but Hampshire, IOW & Dorset could all see another 2-5cm overnight drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Extreme conditions remain here in Jersey. Lots of trees down, power lines down (approximately 200 homes without power), roads are now virtually impassable and the snow is relentless. At least 3 inches of fresh snow has fallen since 4pm on top of the 2 to 4 inches we had this morning, but with much deeper drifting occurring. I've a feeling it's going to be a long night.

Have you got pictures?

Posted

You stay safe cf.. As I said I wouldn't he surprised if you start getting power cuts only in that it doesn't take much down there for them to happen! Told my parents to stay inside.. smile.png

Dog been walked so his only chance of a pee is the garden now. smile.png Plenty of candles at home and lots of blankets ready for the bed if leccy does go off. Glad you warned your parents. i went to Chi this afternoon and got soaked and perishing cold waiting for a bus home.

Posted

bbc solent today forecast just stated 2-5cm snow overnight for iow, hampshire, east dorset

was some west sussex reports too, but thats out of our region really.

Was not expecting much more for us overnight.

Posted

Ive been waiting 20 years for a channel low cray.gifcray.gif I think I might actualy rage quit the snow watch for a day or so then have a little look for any last hopes towards end of week. cray.gif

I think the last one to hit the whole of our region was mid Jan 87.

Looks like the Channel islands are in for a long night - must be a near 24hour blizzard there!

Posted

Well what a day. Stupid amount of snow, great sledging, put the car into a wall and 2 hedges, mother crashed the sledge in a tree and still up a&e getting stitches in her face and the find out via text that my fence has blown down !!!

Trees down everywhere, car crash city and still snowing. Back out in it @ 7am !!

Take care Dave! Hope mother recovers well!