Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/03/13 13z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

been snowing for the last 30 minutes here in Bournemouth but really very light

Posted

Anyone got any snow reports from northern France around Cherbourg, snow depths over a foot?

Here is the toll booth at Beuzeville, south of Le Harve: http://www.viewsurf.com/univers/trafic/vue/3242-france-haute-normandie-beuzeville-a13-peage-de-beuzeville-pres-de-la-bifurcation-vers-le-havre-vue-orientee-vers-le-havre

(I've seen traffic moving away from the camera on the right side)

Posted

Anyone got any snow reports from northern France around Cherbourg, snow depths over a foot?

Some info re snow depths in this article....

http://www.naturaldisastersnews.net/disaster-news/natural-disasters-events-archive-of-all-natural-disasters-news/coldwave-snowstorms/802-2013-03-11-snow-storm-hits-north-of-france#.UT5Gq1fRazY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Roads are chaotic here between Worthing and Arundel A27 closed, part of A29 closed etc, seems like no gritters have been out! Maybe they were taken in by the forecast this aftrnoon which I heard on the radio whilst driving through a snowstorm that there would be 'a few light snow showers in the south' LOL!!

Just shows how the media can cock it all up - no doubt if they wittered on about a major snow fall there would have be sweet FA, so I'm happy they called it wrong, it's been briliant down here since about lunch time - just sad that it will be so short lived. sorry.gif

BTW: Still snowing good.gif

Edited by Purga

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!

snow really starting to pick up here! unexpected!

What part of Bournemouth are you in, I'm in westbourne and it doesn't appear to be doing anything?!

Posted

the last few radar runs looks to me as if the tail end might just push my way ?? what ya rekon ?? just being hopefull lmao ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

What part of Bournemouth are you in, I'm in westbourne and it doesn't appear to be doing anything?!

boscombe seafront, seems to be more of a risk towards the east

Posted

We have bits of snow floating around in the wind. It's a start I guess. Probably 1 or 2 bits every couple of mins if you look hard enough.

Posted

Is that frontal band pushing north again on the radar?

thats what i was just looking at ! looks as though the tail end is gonna push north towards us ?

noticed a little streamer type feature just off the coast of plymouth as well ? could this link up to the streamer coming off the thames ?

Edited by coxxy22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

still chucking it down here must be on the western edge of the front

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Very optimistic radar.does look like the main band is heading north a bit.as well as the eastern movement streaming down...

Having some trouble on the road.south wight way.

Posted

this was happening at about 3 this morning before the matchsticks finally snapped and splintered my eye lids smile.png

Thanks for making me laugh.!!!

And still it snows! Slightly warmer temps though. -1.5C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

It is really good to read these posts and those having snow.. Just stay safe peeps and please don't drive if you can.. What we should also note is the temps and the wind chill or feels like. Today was raw and I haven't felt that for a while. Temps dropping past -3 already here in Newbury and a wind chill of upto -8 now with -11 on the cards. I can still hear the odd gust and I live in a very sheltered part of Newbury

That level of cold is significant in my books in terms of the coldest this winter ( although I know meteologically it is over and we are in spring). I certainly didn't expect that for march.

So the other main concern will be the ice and icy surfaces . Gritters will wait until the snow starts to ease and once they get the chance will be clearing and gritting main routes and those on hospital links like mad. You may therefore not get your avenue gritted if it isn't such a key link so be prepared for that and accept it. please rethink taking your car out tomorrow... Please... Work at home or walk if you can.. Let the emergency services get to those who didn't put themselves at risk in the first place and will need it more than you.

Posted

Roads are chaotic here between Worthing and Arundel A27 closed, part of A29 closed etc, seems like no gritters have been out! Maybe they were taken in by the forecast this aftrnoon which I heard on the radio whilst driving through a snowstorm that there would be 'a few light snow showers in the south' LOL!!

Just shows how the media can cock it all up - no doubt if they wittered on about a major snow fall there would have be sweet FA, so I'm happy they called it wrong, it's been briliant down here since about lunch time - just sad that it will be so short lived. sorry.gif

BTW: Still snowing good.gif

Don't know why they weren't gritting in your area, they were out in the town centre of Bognor at 3:00pm today. However I think the snow was maybe too much for the grit that was laid. Daughter reported seeing a car facing totally the wrong way on the dual carriageway close to Tesco in Bognor after skidding in the snow. Very icy underneath the covering of snow.

Posted

I saw gritters up and down the A259 between bognor and chichester a few times today but it was treacherous on the way home, not sure why but I wondered if the wind had blown a lot of the grit back off the road as that stretch is so exposed. Certainly the snow was blowing about a lot. Someone had crashed there and there were lots of people skidding about as it was icing up really badly.

Posted

I saw gritters up and down the A259 between bognor and chichester a few times today but it was treacherous on the way home, not sure why but I wondered if the wind had blown a lot of the grit back off the road as that stretch is so exposed. Certainly the snow was blowing about a lot. Someone had crashed there and there were lots of people skidding about as it was icing up really badly.

Hi emg, I think the main problem was that blizzard conditions prevailed for about an hour, (certainly here on the edge of Bognor and close to the sea) and I think it just overwhelmed anything that was put on the road. Scenario is grit + heavy snow = water on road, + sub-zero wind chill = ice on road + continuing heavy snow = ice covered by snow. Result = very dangerous driving conditions. Polar Bear is right, if you don't have to drive tonight or tomorrow then please be wise and stay home. It will soon start thawing late tomorrow I would have thought so consider your loved ones before you drive in the morning..

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Just seen met office have changed their forecast. Apparently the snow will stop here in couple of hours and won't extend to 3-6am tomorrow morning.