Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 12th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

Sorry to ask again, but Medway people are the roads drivable?

Hi, I dont know where you need to know about in Medway. Im near the big Tescos in Rainham Mark. The traffic is very slow on the main roads but the small roads are trecherous. I did get in my car to take my son to school and ended up thinking better of it. Most secondary schools are closed in Medway and half the primary.

Its also still snowing lightly and my Hubby is out in it for work and said Strood Rochester roads are bad.

Edited by Biensie

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Blue skies just to the north with not even a speck of snow on the ground in SE25, while 15-20 miles to the south it's a different world altogether!

May have to go for a drive south later so see some white stuff before it all melts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

Ok, so these are the scores so far. Please leave me a PM/POST of any revised total and I'll pick it up tonight, when I get home.

Many thanks to all those that have replied so far.

10 Leigh-on-Sea (E) (PAUL SHERMAN) v. South Ockenden (E) (CRAZY DIAMOND) 0

6 Little Wakering (E) (ESSEXGOONER) v. Rayleigh (E) (VESUVIUS) 3.5

15 Dartford (K) (CHARLTON KERRY) v. Addington (Sur) (SNOWBOB) 2.5

0 Barnet (H) (SUBURBAN STREAMER) v. Wimbledon (L) (LONDON SNOW) 0

1.3 Bromley (K) (JAN_BROMLEY) v. Uckfield (Sus) (TOM JARVIS) 6.35

0 Ongar (E) (JO S) v. Bushey (H) (SVALIJI) 0

0 Waltham Abbey (E) (JOHN MAC) v. N.W.Kent ? (KENTSPUR) 1

0 S.W.London (FLUID DYNAMIC) v. Northwood (L) (BLUEBREEZER54) 0

4 Swanley (K) (SNOWBLUES) v. Crayford (K) (MIKE STORM) 0

6.35 N.W.Kent (LAUREN) v. Welwyn (H) (PIXEL) 0

**NAF ALL Bexleyheath (K) (SNOW RAVEN) v. Chigwell (E) (ARCHIESMUMMY) 0**

FRIENDLY

3 West Ipswich (Suf) (CHRIS101) v. Rochester (K) (STEVIERAY1) SOME ?

** Titanic struggle in Bexleyheath/Chigwell, SR has her head in front due to her more descriptive version of zilch,can you respond AM?**

Just out of interest, although Nikkib74 is no longer in the Cup, her total of 23 cms (level) and 2ft+ drifts, is the most I've seen from around the region. Can anybody beat that?

Regards,

Tom.

post-13201-0-96851200-1363081478_thumb.j

Had a few more cms since, gutted I was knocked out of the last round due to zero snow!

Edited by Nikkib74

Posted

Quick snap from here in Southend. For those that are local this is the Sutton Road roundabout next to Jones Memorial football pitches. About 2-3 FEET drifts!!

Rotated it the right way now!

post-5249-0-05097800-1363081484_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Hi, I dont know where you need to know about in Medway. Im near the big Tescos in Rainham Mark. The traffic is very slow on the main roads but the small roads are trecherous. I did get in my car to take my son to school and ended up thinking better of it. Most secondary schools are closed in Medway and half the primary.

Its also still snowing lightly and my Hubby is out in it for work and said Strood Rochester roads are bad.

OK thanks for that. I need to go to a place on one of the smaller roads, maybe not.

Posted

Lovely warm sunshine blasting in through my windows here this morning... makes me wanna start planting my seeds for me new garden, which is one of the reasons i want this damn cold weather to bugger off so i can get out there!!

Posted

almost stopped here now. Steamer's fragmenting so will all be over soon. Wow!! What a morning!! :) So when is the next lot gonna hit us??? :) :)

Posted

Wow, just properly catching up with the posts over night and this morning. The pictures of the snow some of us in this region have received are brilliant!

Only got the lightest of dustings (grass, cracks of pavement etc) over night in Bexleyheath, so unfortunately I've made it into work today cray.gif

Posted

Quick snap from here in Southend. For those that are local this is the Sutton Road roundabout next to Jones Memorial football pitches. About 2-3 FEET drifts!!

Rotated it the right way now!

post-5249-0-05097800-1363081484_thumb.jp

I used to live near there in the 80s. Reminds me of winters past. Not sure about springs past

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

OK thanks for that. I need to go to a place on one of the smaller roads, maybe not.

It would probably take you ages just to get there.... My neighbour has just returned from attempting his journey to work he only got 2 miles away thought better of it, turned around and it took him twice as long to get home.

Posted

Left home at 6:45am in light snow, there was about 2-3cm level on the garden table, much less on the pavements but this was frozen hard and there was some settling even on our road which this year is on the gritting run. -2.5c according to my WS when I left.

A bit more snow than this at the top of Reigate Hill but by the time I got half way to Leatherhead the fields were green and there was not even the hint that it had snowed at all. Reigate seems to have been about 5 miles south-east of nothing and about 5 miles north-west of quite a lot!

At the office in Harefield the sun is out, it's very cold still, but clear and quite windy, though nothing like yesterday.

Hopefully the screenwash will have thawed by the time I drive home - an interesting journey this morning peering through a windscreen caked in salt that forced me to pull off the M25 to clear it!

Have fun those that get the chance to mess about today.

AS

Posted

I used to live near there in the 80s. Reminds me of winters past. Not sure about springs past

Yep. You would have to go back a long, long way to see such drifts in this area. I remember a similar level of drifting in the early 90's.

Unheard of in March though.

The actual accumulated snow on most surfaces is not that deep. Only about 8-10cm generally. But the drifts, even in the middle of town are 2 feet +

God knows what the drifts must be like out Wakering/Barling way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

post-13201-0-96851200-1363081478_thumb.jpg

Had a few more cms since, gutted I was knocked out of the last round due to zero snow!

Ah but Nikki, you're in for a special prize for this event, perhaps for the whole snow season, for the greatest depth!

How does a case of champagne sound?

Btw, horse running in the first race at Cheltenham today called, CHAMPAGNE FEVER (1.30 ), Ruby Walsh riding and must have a decent chance!

Paul Sherman will pay you out on the first five places, only 3 with me though, sorry! hi.gif

Cheers,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

well whilst you all have snow we have bright sunshine here in herne bay :/ bitter wind still tho

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well got no snow last night and showers from today onwards don't look too promising to be honest. Congrats to all who got tonnes of snow over the past 36 hours.

Also anyone just south of me tell me how much they got. Seem to be a lot of showers around last night which seem to all pass about a mile south of here, unless rain today was telling lies.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

Still a strong signal from the 4km resolution WRF ARW model for some snow showers into East Anglia tonight and right thought into Wednesday, some rather heavy too from the looks of things. Norfolk and Cambs look best places in this region, whilst East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire could take a bit of a hit to

SK

Posted

Was so cold in the wind this morning, even my dog turned round and headed back for home and warmth after just 20 minutes walk.

snow a little more than Snow Ravens area, albeit not much more.

here in Central London (St James Park) its bitter cold but dry and bright :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

A day off college I think looks likely, although it's still open the trains are showing to be only delayed but alot of them get cancelled after that, I may be able to make it in but it's the getting back which is the problem as all London Victoria trains are cancelled and Brighton trains are also. still snowing here and a frigid -1.3C still.

Posted

still sub zero here on the South Coast -1.5c in MARCH!!

yet bbc forecasters going for highs of 4c,are these the same forecasters who said their would be NO disruptive snow last week from this cold-spellrofl.gif

Posted

This has been an absolutely fantastic winter event (in spring) for cold & snow lovers in some parts of SE!

I've lived in Tonbridge for 17 years and this is only the second time I can remember getting this much powder snow with drifting and temps well below freezing (-3c) for a sustained period.

The last time was the memorable Dec 2010 cold spell.

Tonbridge lies very low and usually temps are just above freezing making most events very marginal and quite often slushy!

Looking at the radar, it looks like the current streamer is begining to lose intensity and will die-out fairly soon.

Really unbelieveable for mid-March.

Posted

Shower train about to come to a halt now and the sun is trying to peek through.

Temp up to -0.6c and Dew at -6.7c

Hoping it remains cloudy to preserve the pack!

Sorry to all those that missed out. I know exactly how you feel. Most of the winter I have felt that way, watching others get pasted. But last night, we got lucky.

Edited by Shrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Taken Hubby 2hrs so far from Colchester to rochford .Sun causing a slight melt,get off my snow sun!!

Edited by Floatylight