Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK Tanning Season Begins Now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just having a browse on the Met Office site checking out the weather in Cornwall and look what I found. A moderate UV index today, enough for a slight sunburn!

post-8895-0-66089200-1363267957_thumb.pn

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Coast, March 14, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Coast, March 14, 2013 - No reason given

Back, sack and crack time it is then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

yep, time to start tanning the ole milk bottle legs.......well....it would be, apart from the fact that it's bloody freezing out there!....lol

Posted

Whoooooo I've been waiting all winter for this to happen, I remember trying to tan at the end of March when it was 11.c. Not the best idea!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Strictly speaking you could have gotten sunburn in February, a combination of snow and sun would increase your chances! Sunbathing in 10 inches, anyone?

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Noticed this yesterday I think, a UV index of 3 showing for my local forecast at home in East Devon today too.

In fact quite a lot of the SW had a UV index of 3 forecast today:

post-7593-0-02041700-1363275345_thumb.pn

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i think it will be up to 4 here in Calgary..trouble is with max predicted at -10c or lower this weekend i think the sun longer and mosquito spray is safe for another weekcool.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yep, us Kernow peeps can start tanning now. :D

Yes here in midlands it felt scorching in the sun in recent days as early as 10am in the morning completely overriding the arctic air, the less cold air over the weekend because of cloudy damp conditions will feel colder, day length is the same as late September now so its no wonder the sun is so strong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes good to see some power in the sun again. Forget the tanning though - getting sunlight onto your skin is good for you and after the long winter the influx of vitamin D really makes you feel alive again.

I've glowed a bit from walking in April although not March before but we'll see at Easter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Strictly speaking you could have gotten sunburn in February, a combination of snow and sun would increase your chances! Sunbathing in 10 inches, anyone?

im only up the road from you but you will never get sunburnt in feb .maybe the end of march if you are lucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

im only up the road from you but you will never get sunburnt in feb .maybe the end of march if you are lucky

Day light hours now are about the same as in September so given the right conditions you can get a suntan in March but April onwards is when the suntan season gets under way fully

February is near impossible to get sunburn in the UK the sun just isn't strong enough go to southern Spain and the med and it becomes a different case but not the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I said it's possible, not likely. It is entirely possible.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Day light hours now are about the same as in September so given the right conditions you can get a suntan in March but April onwards is when the suntan season gets under way fully

February is near impossible to get sunburn in the UK the sun just isn't strong enough go to southern Spain and the med and it becomes a different case but not the UK

Up in the high mountains in Scotland, I've had sunburn many a time in mid- winter.

Posted

YES! Was happy to see this! I'm White British but tan INCREDIBLY easily and last year at the end of FEBRUARY I got a tan line on both my arms but I was sitting outside from 10am-3pm talking to a friend, I have a little yellow UV monitor and it registered 3 that day but I think the Ozone level was very low that day and well.. by mid-March last year I was VERY tanned and had people coming up to me asking if I had been on holiday! No such luck this year though! :( Will try and find the pics of the tan line from last feb and post them on here :)

Posted

i guess at the very end of feb with the best feb sunny days it is possible to slightly shade white skin.maybe its me in hillier parts that never get down to t shirt until may

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Certainly wouldn't catch any sun at this time of year... it's just too weak, the sun has been warmer but I think only marginally more so than winter. That said it was clear the sun was fairly strong the other day looking at the shadows, and how sharp they were.

I think it'll be at least May before I really start to notice the sun, if it ever makes an appearance rofl.gif

But to burn, well I might need to go to the Med for that to happen! (as if it's something we want to happen?) Our sun is just too weak here in my opinion (in my experience.. although not for some with sensitive skin though)

Edited by SP1986

Posted

In March 2011 I got a suntan when there was a week of warm sunny weather. I only tanned straight after school at 3-4:30 but the sun was still strong enough.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Certainly wouldn't catch any sun at this time of year... it's just too weak, the sun has been warmer but I think only marginally more so than winter. That said it was clear the sun was fairly strong the other day looking at the shadows, and how sharp they were.

I think it'll be at least May before I really start to notice the sun, if it ever makes an appearance rofl.gif

But to burn, well I might need to go to the Med for that to happen! (as if it's something we want to happen?) Our sun is just too weak here in my opinion (in my experience.. although not for some with sensitive skin though)

I'm certainly not sensitive but walking in April 05 got me a suntan in exposed areas (back of neck, lower arms).

Posted

its at least mid to late april before the sun will burn

Posted

It all depends on how sensetive your skin is (Mine is very sensetie and CAN get a slight colour change even witha high UV2/low3), how much exposure you have to the sun(Last March it was beautiful almost all month and a lot of my friends got burnt and I was very brown), and also what surface you are on, if you was foolish enough to go lay out at the beggining of March with a few inch's of snow on the ground then the relection and the strengthening sun would give most people a tan, especially in the south!