Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 23rd March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Typical just decided to hit the sack and now its snowing!

Going to have to check lamp post every 5 mins, and wake Mrs up.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Other day i said i won't be doing snow maps! had to go back on that(for now) as i find it easier to draw and show an image, but will also later if i have time say the areas to be affected, just seeing how things go and then later il let you know if i can!

Some good precip coming up from the south now on radar.

Edited by 80sWeather

Posted

Everyone gave up & went to bed, even I got miffed and turned the radar off, xbox on...45 mins later I glanced outside to see it pelting down with snow!rofl.gif

Settling fast on grass and sticking nicely to East facing surfaces, lamp post included.Peeked at radar again & it's whooshing up from the Channel,there may be some surprised but happy campers in the morning :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Got ice pellit sleet now, hoping for transition soon. But got to get some sleep.

Posted

Soaking wet. But is snowing now and laying on cars. Would not expect laying elsewhere at moment. More worried about flooding

Posted

Well I've just woken up with pretty severe heartburn, so it's a good job there's some lovely cold snow outside to help ease it

Currently a covering on cars, roofs etc. Looking at some of the echoes on the radar to the south, I'm hoping we can get some snow cover down on concrete before dawn, though its all still a bit wet on there just at the moment.

Looking at some of the early data it looks as though things will indeed make it south of the river as we move through the day and into this evening, so we could see a good covering down towards London and Kent as the day goes on.

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Hello all!! Currently sat at Thailand airport trying to find out how bad weather is around Heathrow!!

What's the weather there? i'm just on the south side of Heathrow airport, lamppost watching on/off, snow flakes have been spotted! snow is likely at Heathrow through today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Well I've just woken up with pretty severe heartburn, so it's a good job there's some lovely cold snow outside to help ease it

Currently a covering on cars, roofs etc. Looking at some of the echoes on the radar to the south, I'm hoping we can get some snow cover down on concrete before dawn, though its all still a bit wet on there just at the moment.

Looking at some of the early data it looks as though things will indeed make it south of the river as we move through the day and into this evening, so we could see a good covering down towards London and Kent as the day goes on.

SK

I suffer with that frequently, can't lay down it burns so much have to take tablets for it, if you can drink milk have a little bit it might help, sit up in bed until it goes. Anyone that has rain i am expecting the rain to turn to snow through this morning and afternoon unless your near the south coast or southwest Hampshire, as not quite cold enough until later today. Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

420GMT radar snap..

0420.gif

--

radarkey_legend_uk.png

1mm=1cm snow ,approx

Posted

Cheers ES. Yep sat up in bed at present milk in hand and gaviscon will be sought after very shortly :)

Some very impressive radar echo's to both the east and west of the region at the moment, with the flow beginning to align more E to W through the morning and into the afternoon (at present it's curved SE-NW to S-N)

SK

Posted

Up for work, and not at all surprised. Still wet outside on roads and pavements, thin cover of snow on grass and cars. It looks like very fine snow falling at the min, but there is also splashes in the puddles, so must be sleety. I never believe the hype anyway,because I know my area !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Is that precip just into Berks. Looks heavy is that expecting to move North-Westwards?

Posted

Temperature has dropped 0.5 degrees in past hour, now 1.3 and dew point 0.0.

Snow beginning to settle on car windscreens. If the temperature drops another half degree, it could be an interesting day.

Posted

A look ahead at Sunday's snow risk and is it going to snow on the south coast..

Here is upper temps 850s

Image 1 -

13032312_2_2300.gif

1200hrs

This shows the upper temps not quite cold enough for snow along the South coast and SW Hampshire.

But take a look at image 2

13032400_2_2300.gif

0000hrs(midnight tonight)The colder temps get to the South coast, but it depends on what precipitation there is around when the cold enough temperatures arrive on near and on the SCoast.

--

Next is the dew points for 0600hrs Sunday

13032406_2_2300.gif

Just radar watching for snow by this time across all areas.

but will there be any around? taking alook at the ppn charts for Sunday

This is an easterly flow very cold and severe wind chill,

13032406_2_2300.gif

0600hrs Sunday - indications are light snow across the SE/EA.

next is NAE ppn snow/rain chart for 0000-0600hrs Sunday

13032406_2_2300.gif

This shows snow across most of EA/SE.

13032412_2_2300.gif

0600-1200hrs Sunday(above)snow spreads across most areas of SE/EA heaviest to the north of London.

13032418_2_2300.gif

1200hrs-1800hrs-snow spreading across through Sunday into Central South, this chart indicates mostly light snow.

For the South coast the very cold air/upper temps get there this weekend but it's the amounts of ppn that is what to watch for there by time it can snow. some say"it can pour down with rain but it hardly snows" "by time it turns to snow it fizzles out" this is because drier more stable air from higher pressure moves in, through next week high pressure would stop most snow from developing and become dry for a while but snow risk increases again later, we could find another battle from the Atlantic taking hold, the block in the north of the UK not shifting just yet.

Data - GFS/NAE 00Z

ESS

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Moderate steady snow now. At last its just starting to settle on the roads and pavements slowly turning them white...