Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 23/03/13 08z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

With this wind there must surely be a chance of lake effect snow (north sea streamers) setting up?

Would have thought less likely than Nov to early Jan, seas at their coldest now, would have thought less convection, than from warm seas/cold land in Dec

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Latest GFS still has snow for the majority of the Midlands up until 0600hrs Sunday morning at least :)

Posted

will need a 4x4 if on side roads, also main road is tricky, even after snowplough and grit wind is blowing snow back in so to speak

not good then for my toyota auris. the usual problem up there is the wind blowing snow off the fields causing drifting. Do you know if the road that passes Scotland Nurseries is passable. Main road from Chesterfield to the hospital is only just driveable allowing only one car at a time down the tricky hill at Hady

The worst of the snow sems to be over in our area but 20 miles east looks a different matter looking at the radar... plenty more to come there

Edited by Derbyshire Snow

Posted

When was the last time there was 40cm in Shrewsbury I wonder? Seen some pics of town in 63, only looks like 30cm at most. I reckon it's not happened since the Little Ice Age.

well I remember walking back from meole brace school back to belle vue through drifts up to 6 feet at the back of the playing fields there so that would of of been 1982 ish ?..don't remember how deep the snow itself was just the drifting

Posted

No idea I'm only 32 so not in my lifetime. Mad dad just measured another surface he had cleared yesterday and its more like 12-13 cm mad that's five miles from town. Got a friend in Ryton 11 towns reporting 15cm. So it's been very close. Can't complain though, it will be out time in the sweetest spot one day!

Ruyton 11 houses as I call it is only 7-8 miles away max as the crow flies, it's mad that. Are you north or south of town?

Posted

Latest GFS still has snow for the majority of the Midlands up until 0600hrs Sunday morning at least :)

really cant see this happening? unless an intensification?

Im guessing 15cm+ here but havent been out properly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Its still snowing in Belper, infact the snow the last couple of hours probably heavier than anything that fell overnight here.

In the lower town centre there is around 3-5cm of snow but been walking around and as soon as you get to any height at all there is easily double that. I didn't measure but places at the top of the town centre probably got around 10cm of snow. Nowhere near the predicted 20cm, although I believe that was the estimation by the end of today so still time yet. Even so, 2-4 inches not bad at all for mid-March.

Tomorrow I am hoping to get up into the Peak District (Buxton area) to get some footage and photos of the drifting up there. I don't want to risk it today as I don't have a 4wd and think conditions will be impassible anyway. Lets hope the snow is still there tomorrow but the main routes are open so I can take a drive up the A515 for example.

Posted

not good then for my toyota auris. the usual problem up there is the wind blowing snow off the fields causing drifting. Do you know if the road that passes Scotland Nurseries is passable. Main road from Chesterfield to the hospital is only just driveable allowing only one car at a time down the tricky hill at Hady

The worst of the snow sems to be over in our area but 20 miles east looks a different matter looking at the radar... plenty more to come there

not been up there, but if Hady hill is bad then hills around Tansley will terrible, could get to bottom of the village and then walk up. ??

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Its still snowing in Belper, infact the snow the last couple of hours probably heavier than anything that fell overnight here.

In the lower town centre there is around 3-5cm of snow but been walking around and as soon as you get to any height at all there is easily double that. I didn't measure but places at the top of the town centre probably got around 10cm of snow. Nowhere near the predicted 20cm, although I believe that was the estimation by the end of today so still time yet. Even so, 2-4 inches not bad at all for mid-March.

Tomorrow I am hoping to get up into the Peak District (Buxton area) to get some footage and photos of the drifting up there. I don't want to risk it today as I don't have a 4wd and think conditions will be impassible anyway. Lets hope the snow is still there tomorrow but the main routes are open so I can take a drive up the A515 for example.

All routes are blocked and impassible up here CC, with snow for the rest of the day and with temps lowering the snow will be around for a long while yet for sure. Drift's 15-20ft high over the A515.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

really cant see this happening? unless an intensification?

Im guessing 15cm+ here but havent been out properly

I do agree mate the the snow is breaking up rapidly already. I am not complaining though. Its still snowing here even though radar is saying otherwise.

Posted

Snowing a bit harder now, but will struggle to accumulate in the daytime. This event has been like a bad 90s/00s throwback, I thought we'd banished these everywhere-but-Shrewsbury events since 2010.

Posted

What a great 36 hours guys. Truly remarkable for the end of March. Enjoy. I'm off to walk the Silkin way into town to see all the poor motorist struggling in the car parks. Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Isn't the snow supposed to back west as it fizzles out?

L

Posted

Nearly stopped here precip seems to be breaking up a fair bit aswell

Posted

Isn't the snow supposed to back west as it fizzles out?

L

Correct, and will intensify as it does so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

We had about 6 hours of sleet now continuous snow settling everywhere but roads look passible. My snowman from last sunday survived

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Correct, and will intensify as it does so.

not for low levels though, it is fragmented and very light on and off here, I am actually expecting a slight thaw soon, due to time of year not on our side

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

All routes are blocked and impassible up here CC, with snow for the rest of the day and with temps lowering the snow will be around for a long while yet for sure. Drift's 15-20ft high over the A515.

Just been out to get coal and i can hardly walk thru the snow is so deep, the wind is really strong again and the snowfall has got more intense in the last half an hour or so. i would not even think of going anywhere in a car today no way.

Edited by bigsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

As long as the road is clear I should be fine getting up there tomorrow once the snow stops falling back onto the roads and providing the wind doesn't blow the snow that is laying back over the road again in any great amounts.

15-20ft high, that is deeper than i have ever seen and may be even higher after todays snow <Rubs hands together in anticipation of some epic shots come tomorrow>

Posted

Snowing a bit harder now, but will struggle to accumulate in the daytime. This event has been like a bad 90s/00s throwback, I thought we'd banished these everywhere-but-Shrewsbury events since 2010.

It's not quite everywhere but us, we've had a bit but 40cm within 20 miles away is painful!!!

I'm north shrews and your comment yesterday was correct, South Shrews retained snow cover all day yesterday, north was wet wet wet and green!

The other month it was the other way round!!

And regards to the last 1ft snow in Shrewsbury, god knows! I'm only 19, I regard 6 inches as a rare and major event here. Double that!? Never! :D

Posted

where can i find something that shows this?

GFS kinda shows it, but still think low levels will remain as light flurries