Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Manmade Climate Change Discussion

Paul

Posted

It's been confirmed, satire is definitely not dead.

Last year, WUWT did pretty well, including getting the Best Science and Technology Blog for the third straight year: Weblog awards – WUWT wins for the third time

Dear Mr Bloggie...

Fourteen years ago someone thought up a bright idea of giving publicity to blogs through a popularity contest.  The contest had a catchy title, the Bloggies.  It worked for a while.  However over the years, the contest has been hijacked by right-wingers and science deniers.  Last year was the final year of a science/technical blog category because the only finalists were climate-science denying blogs.  The Bloggies became a laughing stock at best and have now sunk to irrelevance.

http://blog.hotwhopper.com/2014/03/dear-mr-bloggie.html

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76448-scepticism-of-man-made-climate-change/page-58#entry2942268

Global alarmists reality check from green peace co founder Patrick Moore

From the sceptic thread the term 'reality check' is reduced to an oxymoron.

"What do you think is driving this agenda?"

"A powerful convergence of interests, among a large number of elites"

Never a truer word spoken.

"A nasty combination of extreme political ideology, and a religious cult rolled into one"

Incoherent ramblings.

....................................................................................................................................................................................................

Anyway

WUWT Sticky: Patrick Moore yearns for the "good old days" 500 million years ago

Affirmation from a born again denier
"When modern life evolved over 500 million years ago..." So a bloke by the name of Patrick Moore said to his patron, Senator James Inhofe.  Anthony Watts thinks so highly of Patrick Moore's dumb, boring, tired repetition of out-dated denier talking points that he made it a sticky (archived here).  (Patrick Moore for those who've never heard of him, is apparently a "born-again denier" who says he was associated with Greenpeace in its early days, back when he was a hot-headed youth.  He left Greenpeace a couple of years later when he decided to become ideologically conservative and forsake environmental activism for the scientific illiterati.  Since then he's been trading on his "born again denier" status.  Update: I've put some related links in a comment below.)

http://blog.hotwhopper.com/2014/02/wuwt-sticky-patrick-moore-yearns-for.html

CO2 was higher in the late Ordovician

http://www.skepticalscience.com/CO2-was-higher-in-late-Ordovician.htm

Patrick Moore: Credentials

http://www.desmogblog.com/patrick-moore

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Those claims - real or fictional doesn't matter - always make me ask: So what? So what, if CO2 was more abundant during the Ordovician? We are not living in the Ordovician...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I suppose if you're a 'cherry Picker' then you find it hard to do anything but take a single item out of context and then run with it Pete? Do they know the other atmospheric concentrations at that time as well? Do they even care to look at what type of vegetation had evolved at that time and just how that impacted the carbon cycle compared to today? As far as I know we Humans would have a pretty hard time trying to survive in the Ordovician world but hey! what do I know ( only went as far as Degree level Geology)?

• Like 2

Posted
Clarifying the Discussion about California Drought and Climate Change

n the last few months, as the severe California drought has garnered attention among scientists, policymakers, and media, there has been a growing debate about the links between the drought and climate change. The debate has been marked by considerable controversy, confusion, and opaqueness.

Posted

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140306191524.htm

Never any good news! we can't even look forward to the elevated temps Europe appears destined for!!!

Posted

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140306191524.htm

Never any good news! we can't even look forward to the elevated temps Europe appears destined for!!!

Oh dearie me - IMBY - a robust increase in precipitation for winter and summer; I just hope the winter stuff is in the frozen format. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Some bad language in this video, but amusing and sadly accurate at the same time

• Like 3

Posted

Further to that.

Report from Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority warned against waste dumping plan

Posted
The Nenana Ice Classic and climate

I am always interested in non-traditional data sets that can shed some light on climate changes. Ones that I’ve discussed previously are the frequency of closing of the Thames Barrier and the number of vineyards in England. With the exceptional warmth in Alaska last month (which of course was coupled with colder temperatures elsewhere), I was reminded of another one, the Nenana Ice Classic. - See more at: http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2014/03/the-nenana-ice-classic-and-climate/#sthash.WXjMJZec.dpuf

Edited by knocker

Posted

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76448-scepticism-of-man-made-climate-change/page-58#entry2943027

The miracle that is CO2 only 4 parts in 10.000 Posted Image

Indeed a miracle

Something so small has such a vital effect. Still I'm told it's not the size that matters................................................

A computer model has demonstrated that without carbon dioxide the Earth's temperature would fall by 35C in 50 years.

http://www.reportingclimatescience.com/news-stories/article/carbon-dioxide-prevents-earth-from-becoming-an-ice-world.html

• Like 1

Posted

New Berkley Earth temperature dataset vs existing datasets

The Berkley Earth team released a new temperature analysis that includes both land and ocean surface temperatures.  They used their existing land data and merged it with HadSST3, using kriging to interpolate temperatures where data did not directly exist.  In this, their methodology is similar to the recent Cowtan and Way (2013) paper.  I've compared their new results over the past 30 years (Jan 1984-Dec 2013) to GISS, HadCRUT4, NCDC, UAH, and Cowtan and Way's results, first standardizing all temperature anomalies to the 1981-2010 baseline.  Why the past 30 years?  Thirty years is generally considered the standard time period for measuring climate.

Edited by knocker

Posted

Only just watched BFTV's offering............ major LOL but just about on the money! It has to be the mindset of all the Major CO2 liberators across the planet? As I have said in the past the major players will have access to the cutting edge science and , just like the Tobacco comps before them, in full knowledge of the damage chose to continue B.A.U. whilst Govt.s ( via the voting public) do nothing to arrest that way of operation.

Posted

Published on Mar 8, 2014

Dr. Jason Box, Chief Scientist of the Dark Snow Project, and a researcher formerly of the Byrd Polar Center at Ohio State, now with the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland - has spent the last week in Svalbard, a group of Islands high in the arctic, controlled by Norway.I asked him to chat by skype and update us on the intense winter of 2013 and 14, the "cold continents warm arctic" paradox, and the 'ridiculously resilient ridge" that continues to deliver punishment on both sides of the atlantic.

http://climatecrocks.com/2014/03/08/notes-from-the-arctic-dr-jason-box-on-winter-2014/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Posted

I was just browsing tonight and came across this post by Eli on his blog from exactly hour years ago. IMO a good blog written in his own inimitable style.

I think it well worth a reread and I'm pondering if the situation is actually getting worse.

http://rabett.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/over-reach.html

Posted

Our Father, Who Art..................................

When religion and ecology meet…

On the other hand, there are some religious types who use bible passages to promote environmentalism. The philosophy goes, that God created life, and the duty of humans is to care and nurture other life forms of which we supposedly have dominion. These two divergent steams of religious thought just highlights the ridiculousness of having any sort of religious influences leeching into the political domain! Perhaps, however and there is always a however, having a battle between religious viewpoints may be the only way to counter the thoughts expressed in the above blog most successfully...I really don't know it is all so silly.

If I may just make a divergence into another area for a moment? The Tasmania election is on Saturday. The last 3 opinion polls show the ecologist Green party is a strong chance of becoming the second biggest party in parliament here,  thus becoming the official Opposition. While it looks like a conservative government is on the horizon that is hell bent on being environmentally reckless, I believe it may be a world first for Greens to occupy such a position. Exciting times ahead, amongst all the silly politics surrounding us down here at the moment.   

Posted

Some bad language in this video, but amusing and sadly accurate at the same time

I think this is slightly unfair and the sentiments are off target. You can't expect a business of whatever size to deliberately fold in on itself. The truth of the matter is, the profit motive is a legal requirement for any stock market listed company. You would expect under these conditions that the language of science manipulation and double speak would be par of the course to maintain market dominance. Working in the corporate world is usually one of dodgy dealings with dodgy rationale and no framework for holistic approaches. Working for the coal industry in a managerial or promotional role though would certainly be a dirty and morally cumbersome occupation to hold. I would not and could not do it no matter how much I was offered.

The primary target should be the Australian and state governments, they are the only ones who have the power to curtail coal minings business activities through legislation. Previous Labor administrations truly made an effort to clip this beasts wings. It is also a situation where public boycotts won't work because the vast bulk of the coal goes to overseas buyers.

Posted

Sometimes it's timely to remind oneself that one lives in a semi sane world by checking on Watts and Delingpole. Don't watch the latter's video before the cornflakes,

I thought this might pop up on the other side of the Styx so retaliation in first.

NASA has-beens seek "an orderly market-driven transition from fossil fuels to alternatives"

http://blog.hotwhopper.com/2014/03/nasa-has-beens-seek-orderly-market.html

Edited by knocker

Posted

Renewables aren't cost effective. Tell that to the Germans.

The Other Death Spiral: Centralized Utilities Now Germany’s Walking Dead

German energy giant RWE has taken a massive loss of €2.8 billion – it’s first loss in 60 years – after admitting it got its strategy wrong, and should have focused more on renewable and distributed energy rather than conventional fossil fuels.

Posted Image

http://climatecrocks.com/2014/03/08/the-other-death-spiral-centralized-utilities-now-germanys-walking-dead/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by knocker

Posted

Went online to see if I could find a copy not paywalled........ nope and the only hits were from Ice age now and Survivalist....... I wonder what KL does for fun????

• Like 1

Posted
Climatologist Who Predicted California Drought 10 Years Ago Says It May Soon Be ‘Even More Dire’

Back in 2004, Sloan, professor of Earth sciences at UC Santa Cruz, and her graduate student Jacob Sewall published, “Disappearing Arctic sea ice reduces available water in the American west†(subs. req’d). They used powerful computers “to simulate the effects of reduced Arctic sea ice,†and “their most striking finding was a significant reduction in rain and snowfall in the American West.â€