Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion: 21st May 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Summer of 95, September 4, 2013 - wrong thread
Hidden by Summer of 95, September 4, 2013 - wrong thread

Foggy as anything out there now, has been since about 0130- a bit early in the Autumn for this methinks? Yesterday again turned out fine with the grey muck moving away, Monday was sunnier than any day in August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Another (!) lovely day with temperatures reaching 23c again, hot sunshine, a touch more cloud, but again, a mostly clear and very pleasant evening. Temperature fell 3c in last hour at Durham- currently 16c, most likely that today was the last of the warm sunshine, before heavy rain and cooler conditions this weekend. Next week looks like being very mixed, but chances for sunshine with W/SW winds likely to dominate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Issued at:

1102 on Wed 4 Sep 2013

Valid from:
0005 on Fri 6 Sep 2013

Valid to:
2359 on Sat 7 Sep 2013

Periods of heavy and persistent rain are likely to affect parts of England and Wales during Friday and Saturday. The public should be aware that there is a risk of localised disruption due to flooding.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Bands of rain will become slow-moving across parts of the UK on Friday and Saturday. Some locally heavy and persistent rainfall is expected, particularly across Wales and parts of England. This may cause some flooding from rivers or surface water. There is still significant uncertainty as to where and when the heaviest rainfall and greatest impacts will occur, so this Alert will be updated on Thursday.

Warning covers

Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1378422000

With the strong wind tomorrow from the NE the feels like temperatures are down to 9c from the afternoon at least things start to improve from Sunday with warmer west to south westerly winds taking over

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Issued at:

1102 on Wed 4 Sep 2013

Valid from:

0005 on Fri 6 Sep 2013

Valid to:

2359 on Sat 7 Sep 2013

Periods of heavy and persistent rain are likely to affect parts of England and Wales during Friday and Saturday. The public should be aware that there is a risk of localised disruption due to flooding.

Bands of rain will become slow-moving across parts of the UK on Friday and Saturday. Some locally heavy and persistent rainfall is expected, particularly across Wales and parts of England. This may cause some flooding from rivers or surface water. There is still significant uncertainty as to where and when the heaviest rainfall and greatest impacts will occur, so this Alert will be updated on Thursday.

Warning covers

Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1378422000

With the strong wind tomorrow from the NE the feels like temperatures are down to 9c from the afternoon at least things start to improve from Sunday with warmer west to south westerly winds taking over

yep the calm before the storm, a cool northernly on sat brrrrrrrrrrrr Posted Image

Posted

The warning has been updated as they said it would

Issued at:
1240 on Thu 5 Sep 2013

Valid from:
0600 on Fri 6 Sep 2013

Valid to:
2359 on Fri 6 Sep 2013

Heavy rain, persistent in places, will affect many areas during Friday. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption due to localised flooding.

Areas of heavy rain will spread northwards across England and Wales during Friday morning. These areas will become slow-moving, bringing prolonged and occasionally intense rain to parts of northern England, the north Midlands and north Wales later. This may cause some flooding from surface water or rivers, though there is still uncertainty as to areas most at risk. Elsewhere, heavy showers will affect the rest of England and Wales, perhaps causing some localised flooding in other parts of Wales and south west England. Friday's wet weather will continue into Saturday.

Warning covers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Total wash out today mindue much needed rain for the garden, tomorrow doesn't look as bad as it did a few days ago more sun than rain

Posted

Yep a wash out today what a difference 24 hrs makes summer yesterday autumn today!

Like lee said the weekend its self is an improving one

Saturday sunshine and showers of which some may be heavy highs of around 17c

Sunday a sunny day with variable cloud and light winds highs again of around 17c

Monday a slightly cooler day with light north westerly winds sunshine and a few light showers highs around 15c

Posted

New update to the warning

Issued at:
1122 on Fri 6 Sep 2013

Valid from:
1140 on Fri 6 Sep 2013

Valid to:
2359 on Fri 6 Sep 2013

Heavy rain, persistent in places, will affect many areas during Friday. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption due to localised flooding.

Areas of heavy rain will continue to spread northwards across parts of England, Wales and southern Scotland during Friday. The rain will become slow-moving, bringing prolonged and occasionally intense rain to parts of northern England, southern Scotland and North Wales. 20-40mm is likely to fall, locally over 60mm, which may cause some flooding from surface water or rivers, though some locations within the yellow area will miss the largest rainfall totals. Elsewhere, heavy, thundery showers will affect parts of Wales and southwest England, with the potential for over 50mm to fall in a few hours very locally. This could lead to localised flooding, whilst nearby locations could remain dry. This is an update to the warning issued on Thursday to include parts of southwest Scotland, whilst also to remove parts of central England and east Wales. The tick in the risk matrix applies to the large area as a whole, but for some regions within the yellow area, there is also a moderate risk of minor disruption.

Issued at:
1137 on Fri 6 Sep 2013

Valid from:
0005 on Sat 7 Sep 2013

Valid to:
2359 on Sat 7 Sep 2013

Periods of heavy and persistent rain, as well as some heavy showers, will continue to affect parts of the United Kingdom on Saturday. The public should be aware that there is a risk of localised disruption due to flooding.

Slow-moving bands of rain will affect parts of the UK on Saturday. Some locally heavy and persistent rainfall is expected, with the main risk transferring towards Northern Ireland, southwest Scotland and North Wales, whilst the rain should turn more showery across northern England. Elsewhere there will be further heavy showers. 20-40mm is likely to fall, locally in excess of 60mm, leading to some flooding from rivers or surface water. There is still some uncertainty as to where and when the heaviest rainfall and greatest impacts will occur, and this warning may be updated on Saturday. This is an update to the warning issued on Thursday to include more of southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland, and also to remove parts of England and Wales.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1378422000&regionName=ne

Posted

Getting close to 40mm here already, funny thing is towards the Yorks coast has had far less which is kind of unusual.Looking at radar the rain appears to be pumping north yet wind is in the north and the main area of precipitation is hardly moving.Looks like cool air undercutting the wet area.

Posted

25.4mm so far for Darlo its eased off again here also strong to gale winds were forecast for the region anyone got these yet we haven't so far

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Passed 50mm but does seem to be brightening up.There are torrents of water pouring off the moors which are going to catch people out with deep water and debris on the roads.

Posted

Passed 50mm but does seem to be brightening up.

There are torrents of water pouring off the moors which are going to catch people out with deep water and debris on the roads.

Yeah the cloud is getting a bit thinner on the satellite now http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Posted

I've no idea what sort of totals we have here, but it ranks highly on the 'a lot' scale.

What I do know is that I ventured out earlier, it was steadily raining pretty much how it had been all day. The heavens then opened and I have seen nothing like it, waterfalls cascading from shop roofs and the build up was that much that it brought down around 40ft of heavy duty guttering at the local Asda shortly after I had gone inside. It was up when I went in and down when I came out!

Posted

The wettest day I've recorded here sine 2007 was 52.9mm in July 2009, today has been about 0.5mm short of beating that - however the current Davis VP2 under-records if anything and the Vue I had in 2009 would have counted a higher figure for sure.Furthermore todays rain mostly fell between 11am and 4pm so it has been very intense.

Posted

I've no idea what sort of totals we have here, but it ranks highly on the 'a lot' scale.

What I do know is that I ventured out earlier, it was steadily raining pretty much how it had been all day. The heavens then opened and I have seen nothing like it, waterfalls cascading from shop roofs and the build up was that much that it brought down around 40ft of heavy duty guttering at the local Asda shortly after I had gone inside. It was up when I went in and down when I came out!

I see a private station in Guisborough recorded 120mm - that does seem a bit OTT but it certainly has been the wettest day for a year or two.

http://classic.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=INORTHYO51

Posted

A very autumnal day - chilly gusty wind, leaden grey skies and outbreaks of rain.

However, the rain has been very sporadic with light bursts interspersed with more moderate bursts but nothing heavy inter mixed with dry spells and even patches of blue sky - all quite odd...

Posted

Posted Image

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its gunna be cold tonightPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted

You'll notice the clouds have more fibrous edges today. This is because autumnal air is colder thus more ice crystals present lower down. i love this season, right off to go and plant some bulbs for next year

Posted

The forecast heavy showers today have not arrived yet much better out there today now that rain has gone and the sun is back making appearances every so often

I have the same task to do as well Lee got the spring bulbs just need to get them in got the hanging baskets done for Autumn

Spring bulbs are next

The rhododendron is forming its buds nicely now for its 3 week show in spring

Posted

The forecast heavy showers today have not arrived yet much better out there today now that rain has gone and the sun is back making appearances every so often

I have the same task to do as well Lee got the spring bulbs just need to get them in got the hanging baskets done for Autumn

Spring bulbs are next

The rhododendron is forming its buds nicely now for its 3 week show in spring

looking at the radar im sure the centre of the low is currently travelling north east in the irish sea so we may see some shows later,

i hate these international weekends i never know what to do with my self

Posted

looking at the radar im sure the centre of the low is currently travelling north east in the irish sea so we may see some shows later,

i hate these international weekends i never know what to do with my self

I know nothing to do with no footy on just filling my time in by getting some gardening done whilst the weather is fine