Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

According to the Home Page, Solent is a 29.2...?

Wish I was still living in Southampton, that's 29C two days on the bounce.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Clear blue skies now which has enabled the temperature to rise to a max of 18.3c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Need to keep your heating off more often. 21C means windows wide open for me. Surprised it's cloudy for you though.

The pain of being on the east and these frequent NEly winds. It has now gone but too late to warm things - but perfect for chilling my garden tonight dammit.

21c is windows open upstairs for sure (despite the cloud I've come home to it 27c in the bedroom but skylight will sort that out fast in this breeze) but not downstairs where it will simply fall to outdoor temperature as it too falls this evening. Fine when its 20c at midnight but no good when its 20c at 6pm. 

Left the door open while writing this message - lost almost 0.5c while I wrote it! But then its still 22.5c in here for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Windows in my room stay shut if the low temperature is below 15C or it gets too chilly, the past few weeks up to now have been about 15C so i've had my small window open a bit to let some air in. 

Edited by robthefool

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

i wonder if people sometimes might be over exaggerating their local temps, i just checked the current temp for crewe and the bbc has it at 22c, it is 22c here according the the bbc, although my weather station says 25c

so for the umpteenth time the bbc and GFS have overcooked temps for my area as they said 24c or 25c,  when it is 22c with an annoying wind and people wonder why i moan, but on the bright side at least the cloud has cleared now

Not a chance it's been overestimated. The temperature was cross checked with several local amateur stations and it sits well within those values. The 28C figure was taken from a very reliable site a mile or two from here on Metoffice observations website. I know it's reliable because my sensor is always within +/- 0.1C of this site.

P.s that BBC temperature is taken from our nearest Metoffice official station- Leek Thorncliffe. That sits at about 300+m on the southern end of the Pennines.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Very very warm here today. Recorded 29.4C as a max, it's currently 27.3C and it positively toasty!

Seems some people won't believe it. Been absolutely toasty today.

Posted

every weather site i look at says something different, one says 22c another 23c and another 24c i never know which one to believe, my weather station is useless too, but as long as it feels warm enough i don;t really care what the temp is unless there is a chance of record breaking temps and even then it will probably be debatable or an unofficial temp

Edited by Tony27

Posted

every weather site i look at says something different, one says 22c another 23c and another 24c i never know which one to believe, my weather station is useless too, but as long as it feels warm enough i don;t really care what the temp is unless there is a chance of record breaking temps and even then it will probably be debatable or an unofficial temp

Yep. I'm positive that if the Metoffice had an official station around the S Cheshire/N Shrops area then the top temperature today would have been up there with some of the highest in the country. Someone from the Shrewsbury area has also reported 28C

It seems warmer here today, and quite oppressive at times. Max Temps 27.1 c Blackpill, 24.0c Mumbles, warmest day of the year so far with both. As Marcus said earlier very warm overnight at Mumbles at 21.5c at Midnight (warmer than noon today)

Sunny for the most part today, but quite hazy with a lot of high cloud around. However more real sunny conditions now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny

Lovely sunny day here today, temperature topped out at 26.7C, and is now down to 21.3C, first really warm day here in North Wales Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Anyone any insight on whether low cloud will roll in again tonight? 26c is forecast tomorrow but not sure after today. We're meant to be heading to a beer garden with work tomorrow and need to know if I'm safe with shorts as I sure wouldn't have been today.

Tonight feels cool compared to recent evenings - too chilly to sit out long anyway. A min of 12c forecast so better close up the greenhouse to keep them peppers warm.

Posted

After being overcast for most of the day it turned clear from around 4pm allowing a late recovery in the temperature to a max of 18.4C.

It feels pleasant enough but is actually a couple of degrees below average for this point in the month.

Ironically my mean temp here for the first 8 days of the month is 16.5C (+0.3C) so rather average!

Anyone any insight on whether low cloud will roll in again tonight? 26c is forecast tomorrow but not sure after today. We're meant to be heading to a beer garden with work tomorrow and need to know if I'm safe with shorts as I sure wouldn't have been today.

Tonight feels cool compared to recent evenings - too chilly to sit out long anyway. A min of 12c forecast so better close up the greenhouse to keep them peppers warm.

It'll be back tonight but not as extensively, so your area might stay clear.

Posted

The almost constant feed of NEly winds off a cold sea this spring & summer has certainly promoted some big regional variations with western parts doing very well but your area especially prone to a constant chill!

Hope you're right about the lack of cloud around here - today was odd in starting sunny then clouding up as normally its a early morning till lunchtime thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Unlucky, at the end of the day we were the ones who were basking in Mediterranean heat :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

24.1C here right now, it's so damn warm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It's understandable that people don't - especially if there are no official Met stations in the area (of similar elevation) to make accurate comparisons, and personal weather stations are notoriously overexposed, even with Stevenson Screens, so will never match the high standards of Met stations (thank goodness I am close to one!).

What about Hawarden - there's a station there, right next to Chester. Not southern Cheshire but close enough and often a hot spot.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Truely stunning day here in the Lake District, started the day off with 18c at 8am and 26-27c widely by the afternoon, even at 2000ft it felt around 21c with very little breeze, holding up at 24c well into the evening. Hopefully a similar day tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A bit of a breeze today and with patchy cloud at times the feel of the day was different to Sunday.

The maximum I recorded was 25.5c against 28c yesterday and we're already down to 18.5c so hopefully a better nights sleep is coming.

If the forecast is correct then Tuesday could be repeat of Sunday if not even a touch warmer.

Posted

It's understandable that people don't - especially if there are no official Met stations in the area (of similar elevation) to make accurate comparisons, and personal weather stations are notoriously overexposed, even with Stevenson Screens, so will never match the high standards of Met stations (thank goodness I am close to one!).

What about Hawarden - there's a station there, right next to Chester. Not southern Cheshire but close enough and often a hot spot.

Hawarden....27.4C @ 4pm

Source: Weatheronline

Posted

Reached 28.3c here today, the highest I've recorded and the highest locally since 2006! felt pretty hot although I didn't find it too bad in the shade at times. Exeter Airport also reported 28c. Cooled off a bit here now due to a slight sea breeze

the SW looks best on average this week, great weather to have with the scenery we have down here. 22c here is better than 25c in London or areas around there, or some of the east IMO. Slightly lower summer temps/heatwave spell temps on average is a small price to pay (and that didn't apply this time or in early June).

I agree that many stations on sites like Weather Underground are not so accurate, that is the case with many around my area too.

Hawarden did reach 27.4c today in one of the hourly readings though, and I did see xcweather round a reading to 28C earlier.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/#?tab=last24hours&fcTime=1373151600

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I clocked just over 27C today, much more comfortable 17.6c now with a fresh breeze.

Posted

Lovely warm sunny evening still 22.6°C, signs of a slow cool down next week, but not looking to unsettled this far south, things could still change for better or worse, but either way im enjoying this settled warm spell, while we have it.

Posted

yeah i just been down the allotment and it was very breezy, i detest wind and it felt a lot cooler compared to recent evenings, it feels nice in the sun but the evenings soon cool down in these vile easterly setups, and why is it so breezy the charts don't look like it should be that windy, this happens quite often when get easterlies synoptics, but then again the 500mb charts can be very misleading at times,

as for tomorrow it looks a better day, wind should be lighter with more sunshine and bbc says 26c for you, with it still at 23c at 9pm, but they normally always overcook temps, well they do for me, might be different for you?

its down to 16c here already, bbc thinks it should be 19c right now

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's already rolling in here, Botty...Posted Image 

Posted

yeah i just been down the allotment and it was very breezy, i detest wind and it felt a lot cooler compared to recent evenings, it feels nice in the sun but the evenings soon cool down in these vile easterly setups, and why is it so breezy the charts don't look like it should be that windy, this happens quite often when get easterlies synoptics, but then again the 500mb charts can be very misleading at times,

as for tomorrow it looks a better day, wind should be lighter with more sunshine and bbc says 26c for you, with it still at 23c at 9pm, but they normally always overcook temps, well they do for me, might be different for you?

its down to 16c here already, bbc thinks it should be 19c right now

Normally it isn't bad although today they predicted 24c but we maxed at 21.6c (22c rounded at official stations I expect). These easterly set ups do seem to catch folk out with sunshine & warmth often predicted even on the day only for it to get no where near if the cloud doesn't break.

This evening especially feels very cool compared to the last three for sure.