Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I wonder how they do it abroad in hotter countries, maybe more grit in the first place?

Roads that were designed for it in the first place. And roads that don't need to cope with many frosts... Not sure how hot summer-cold winter climates do it though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I wonder how they do it abroad in hotter countries, maybe more grit in the first place?

Blimey, is that for Cork? Just pips Exeter Airport's 23.1C range on the 13th!

Nah, it's for south Tipperary, where I'm staying for the next few days.

Cork stayed up near 14 or 15C last night, just 40km away, so quite a difference.

Posted

in this weather all i hear is this on my street

Posted Image

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Nice evening tonight, a little cloudy but a nice breeze and temperature.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

All I can say this evening is that I think some members here are down right weird. Won't mention names though. But like botty said a general feel by some that we must have that Monday feel. We can't enjoy ourselves too much can we....

Posted

Roads that were designed for it in the first place. And roads that don't need to cope with many frosts... Not sure how hot summer-cold winter climates do it though.

Yeah probably true, I was just thinking if these temps aren't (normally) that rare in summer, occurring most if not all years, they might have been prepared for it though maybe it's cheaper/easier to just spread a bit of grit on it whenever it does occur.

Nah, it's for south Tipperary, where I'm staying for the next few days.

Cork stayed up near 14 or 15C last night, just 40km away, so quite a difference.

I was thinking that sounded a rather big range for Cork! If I had thought about it further would have realised it couldn't have been unless it got a very unexpectedly low min temp.

Edited by Stormmad26

Temperatures peaked at 28.7C here today, another scorcher. The weekend looks to be a bit cooler here and then hotting up Monday and Tuesday, and then hopefully some thunderstorms! Posted Image  Can't really complain that a breakdown looks to be on the way atleast sometime in the next week, we have had around 2 weeks of this nice weather after all. Hopefully some people in the model thread can stop bickering at eachother and enjoy the rest of the hot weather while it lasts.

Edited by Sainsbo

These are rounded figures so I would view them with a slight degree of caution - highest unrounded figure I've spotted is 30.9°C for Porthmadog at 2pm.

Rhyl reached 29.3°C at 3pm before a sea breeze knocked it back to 24.8°C an hour later.

MetO provisionally confirm Porthmadog as the hotspot with a max of 31.4°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

NI has reached 30C, but I haven't? More salt in the wound! Next week better deliver.

The Porthmadog figure is very impressive btw, considering its location. I wonder what the record is for that place?

Edited by cheese

Posted

Anyone know where I can get a list of the official maximum temperatures for today? Weatheronline shows them but many of them are rounded up/down.

Posted

Anyone know where I can get a list of the official maximum temperatures for today? Weatheronline shows them but many of them are rounded up/down.

http://www.ogimet.com/indicativos.phtml.en

Enter the place name and you will see the max for today. Rosthern near Manchester reached 29.7C. Hawarden reached 30.4C. Crosby reached 29.3C. Castlederg reached 30.1C. Rhyl reached 29.5C. Prestwick Airport reached 29.5C. No figures for Liverpool as the airport station is not a Met one and does not have a WMO code.

Edited by cheese

NI has reached 30C, but I haven't? More salt in the wound! Next week better deliver.

The Porthmadog figure is very impressive btw, considering its location. I wonder what the record is for that place?

Porthmadog probably ideally located today - long track for easterly flow over warm land, strong enough in the last couple of days to counter sea breezes which kept temperatures around 23 degrees or less early in the week, and in the lee of the Snowdonian mountains which may have given some additional compressional warming. Don't know what the station record is but the town has probably been warmer given that Valley on Anglesey recorded 33° on 05/08/2003 and 33.6° on 19/07/2006 for example.

Posted

Interesting. Seems these places do quite well for extreme maximums, but less well for average maximums - the 33 degrees for Valley in 2003 was preceded by 25C and followed by 18C!

Edited by cheese

Posted

Probably because easterly and south easterly are the only directions that really favour them for the very high temperatures, especially when you take sea breezes into account. 

Posted

I know it really quite hot (OK slightly cooler in most places than is has been) here this morning it was a wee bit chilly (we are talking 5:30) chilly enough to see my own breath but turned into a dawn to dusk sunny day think the max was 27/28

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

All I can say this evening is that I think some members here are down right weird. Won't mention names though. But like botty said a general feel by some that we must have that Monday feel. We can't enjoy ourselves too much can we....

Those people will be moaning when it breaks down. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Summer's over !!!

Will we ever get a CET above 18C againPosted Image?                                   Joke...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Summer's over !!!

Just past half way actually.

Posted

Will we ever get a CET above 18C againPosted Image?                                   Joke...

Many many times. 

Edited by matty007

Very Warm/Hot day here today with temps at least in the mid 20s, virtually cloudless all day as well. Current Maxes 25-26c.

Maxes Blackpill 26.7c

Mumbles 25.6c 

Lovely summer's day

Posted

Starts going downhill right in time for the Summer holidays and two days before my birthday. What a surprise lol. 

Good chance we will get another plume though. 

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

With an average max of 26'C over the last 14 days including 29'C again today I for one am delighted with this brilliant spell of weather .This spell is most remarkable perhaps because so many of us have had so much good weather  As I type the forecast on radio 4 .." it's going to be hot and it's not going to rain " ...

Posted

With an average max of 26'C over the last 14 days including 29'C again today I for one am delighted with this brilliant spell of weather .This spell is most remarkable perhaps because so many of us have had so much good weather  As I type the forecast on radio 4 .." it's going to be hot and it's not going to rain " ...

It's been remarkably dry.