Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

I'm nearly 50, maybe that's got something to do with it! But almost everyone I meet now, is complaining that it's all gotten too much - predictably. 'Be careful what you wish for' springs to mind. In an ideal world I'd have all the UK sun-lovers clear off to Southern Europe or Death Valley to get their fill, and leave all us normal folk alone back in Blighty to live a comfortable life with sensible temperatures. If only....

I think you'll find that you are the abnormal ones, the small minority.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Well the breakdown looks likely next Thursday, that's when most forecasts and people on here are saying the temps and stability will take a huge dip. 

Please,please,please don't be so. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Well the breakdown looks likely next Thursday, that's when most forecasts and people on here are saying the temps and stability will take a huge dip. 

Please,please,please don't be so. 

It shouldn't be too cold though thankfully, not 2007-2012 cold anyway, although I'm gonna miss this lovely heat.Posted Image early next week looks good though.

Edited by 95 Degrees

Posted

Fair enough. 

matty007. With all due respect you are new to this website so welcome. We all had to start somewhere but can you please just take a step back, a deep breath, get a general feel of how the forums work and perhaps just wind your neck in a bit ?

BB54 Posted Image

Posted

It shouldn't be too cold though thankfully, not 2007-2012 cold anyway, although I'm gonna miss this lovely heat.Posted Image early next week looks good though.

Oh you and me both. Really thought this might be the year when we get three months of warm settled weather. 

It's looking like Tuesday will be the hottest day, a south easterly wind. Showing a lot of cloud cover and some rain with it though, and of course humidity and likely thunderstorms. 

Then even more rain on Wednesday, with much lower temps. Somewhere around 23-24c. 

Then it's looking like it will really break down on Thursday with temps down to 20-22c and thunder. 

That's obviously a long way off in weather terms so it could change, the forecasts and models are all over the place. It's pretty much inevitable there's going to be a breakdown towards the end of next week though. 

Sunday is actually looking like the last reasonable settled day with warm temps, around 26-27 and not too much cloud in the afternoon.

We can only hope the plume and high pressure returns. 

matty007. With all due respect you are new to this website so welcome. We all had to start somewhere but can you please just take a step back, a deep breath, get a general feel of how the forums work and perhaps just wind your neck in a bit ?

BB54 Posted Image

You're right, probably getting a little wound up. Had a stressful day. I apologize. 

Posted

Oh you and me both. Really thought this might be the year when we get three months of warm settled weather. 

It's looking like Tuesday will be the hottest day, a south easterly wind. Showing a lot of cloud cover and some rain with it though, and of course humidity and likely thunderstorms. 

Then even more rain on Wednesday, with much lower temps. Somewhere around 23-24c. 

Then it's looking like it will really break down on Thursday with temps down to 20-22c and thunder. 

That's obviously a long way off in weather terms so it could change, the forecasts and models are all over the place. It's pretty much inevitable there's going to be a breakdown towards the end of next week though. 

Sunday is actually looking like the last reasonable settled day with warm temps, around 26-27 and not too much cloud in the afternoon.

We can only hope the plume and high pressure returns. 

You're right, probably getting a little wound up. Had a stressful day. I apologize. 

No need to apologize mate.....just enjoy the forums Posted Image

Edited by Bluebreezer54

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely do that before I go to bed. Posted Image

As for what to do if it gets hotter into early next week, I couldn't agree more. It doesn't even have to be much hotter than it has been to feel substantially hotter with the added humidity. It's quite shocking to go outside at 3PM when it is 30C outside and see that everyone down the street has their windows wide open! I've been trying to make a habbit of keeping all windows and curtains closed in the afternoon, and then opening the windows at night when it cools down. The only problem with that is the crane flies that decide to invade the house. I hate the damn things...

I am keeping curtains closed during the day window open as I do work at home(I like to close them when out),  thin enough curtains to be bright in the flat though, then at night window open from half to wide with gap in curtains until late which let's cooler air flow in it's still hot in here but would be far more if I didn't do what I am I'd expect, lap tops kick out some heat so that's not helping!! the flannel round neck only thing really helps me cope with inside temps up to 32C day and around 30C at night as it is now, also lots of water too, and other drinks like tea/coffee hot drinks makes me hotter yes I know but I let them cool a bit! I should not but need them caffeinated drinks only having a couple a day though(I'm not a fan of cold caffeine type drinks), I have lucozade this is good to have, they advise not to have to much caffeine or hot drinks I am having far less then in winter. obviously they say cold drinks is the best option because it lowers our inner temperatures which stops higher risk of over heating. I can say I've not drunk so much water for years!! I have had minor heat stroke many years a go up at Silverstone race course an event was on and it was a heatwave clear blue intense it was I did not do what I was advised and paid for it, it was sunburn on my head(mainly front)and neck mostly at back and maybe lack of fluids although I do remember having lots of water/fruit drinks that day so being in hot sunshine for many hours without a hat added to it I think. That was only minor heat stroke and I still felt so terrible so dizzy and weak with it. 

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Really thought this might be the year when we get three months of warm settled weather. 

If that's what you're waiting for, then you're bound to be constantly disappointed. That just doesn't happen in this country, not even in summers like 1976.

I'm not too disheartened that it's going to turn cooler and more unsettled. That was always going to happen at some point, and the fact is we've gone an unusually long time without a break in the warm, dry and sunny weather (well most of us anyway). I'm more concerned about what might happen after next week: it would be Sod's Law if we ended up with a rubbish August to cancel out the excellent July, but as it stands there's nothing to suggest that this will be the case.

For now, just enjoy the next few days and see what happens afterwards.

Posted

No need to apologize mate.....just enjoy the forums Posted Image

Na, I needed to apologize. Been getting a little heated with people. Don't mean any offense, just probably get a little too serious. 

I have next to nil experience with the weather compared to many on here but it is something that interests me, admittedly much more so in Summer than Winter. This heatwave fascinates me. I'm just eager to see how long it lasts. 

I'll just make sure to discuss the weather rather than getting in petty arguments with people. Just a passionate person is all. 

Posted

If that's what you're waiting for, then you're bound to be constantly disappointed. That just doesn't happen in this country, not even in summers like 1976.

I'm not too disheartened that it's going to turn cooler and more unsettled. That was always going to happen at some point, and the fact is we've gone an unusually long time without a break in the warm, dry and sunny weather (well most of us anyway). I'm more concerned about what might happen after next week: it would be Sod's Law if we ended up with a rubbish August to cancel out the excellent July, but as it stands there's nothing to suggest that this will be the case.

For now, just enjoy the next few days and see what happens afterwards.

Oh don't get me wrong mate, didn't expect it to be constantly wall to wall sun and very warm. That's almost impossible in even the most settled climates. Especially on an island. 

Just thought it might be one of those Summers where we have a spell like we have had then a few days of higher cloud cover, lower temps and a little rain. Then back to a settled week. and repeat etc. 

Just worries me looking at the forecasts and models for the end of next week and seeing how sharply it drops off. 

The thing we have in our favour is the continent, there's a lot of warm air down south and even to the east. So there's a good chance that it could come over again after the dip. 

It's just our past load of August's that worries me, terrible lately. 

Still the best chance we've had of getting a great summer in a long time though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Oh come on now, I'm not angry at all. Just making a point. 

Literally I've only heard two people moaning about this weather, both of which were my Grandparents who are both over 85. All the rest of my family, friends, co workers, people on Facebook have unanimously been enjoying this weather and hopes it lasts. They all say - 'about time', and damn right too. 

It's only a few on here apart from my Grandparents that I've actually seen complaining about this weather. I also heard nobody, yes nobody, in 2006 complaining about it. It was warmer and muggier then as well. 

I can only take your word for it, but most people I know are complaining about this - there are a fair amount of fair-skinned people in my family who burn very easily and simply cannot handle the heat. They purposefully stay indoors between 12 and 3 to avoid the midday sun. This isn't just elderly people, as there is only one 'elderly' person in my family and that's my grandmother. My mother in particular who is in her 40s (I'm in my 20s) seems to really detest this type of weather, she's a natural redhead with freckles and pale skin.

And this is coming from a person who is sad to see the end of this warm spell. I think people have a tendency to view the world through their own view point, and only tend to pick up on things that they want to hear.

Edited by cheese

Posted

I can only take your word for it, but most people I know are complaining about this - there are a fair amount of fair-skinned people in my family who burn very easily and simply cannot handle the heat. They purposefully stay indoors between 12 and 3 to avoid the midday sun. This isn't just elderly people, as there is only one 'elderly' person in my family and that's my grandmother. My mother in particular who is in her 40s (I'm in my 20s) seems to really detest this type of weather, she's a natural redhead with freckles and pale skin.

And this is coming from a person who is sad to see the end of this warm spell. I think people have a tendency to view the world through their own view point, and tend to pick up on things that they want to hear.

Yes, you're right. I will admit that I find it very hard to see somebody else's viewpoint of the weather if it differs from mine. Especially if they don't like the prolonged heat, seems strange to me but I know people are different so I should accept it.

I know what you mean, some of my friend's burn ridiculously easily. Literally ten minutes in the sun at about 3-4PM and they've burnt to a crisp.  

I am lucky because I'm olive skinned, but I am fully British, for a long way back anyway. That means I have a lot of melanin in my skin and I find it almost impossible to burn. Never even use sunblock. That is a lot of the reason I like the Sun, because my skin looks much better with a slight tan. I've always had a high tolerance to the heat, which is why I want this to last as long as possible, and hopefully get warmer. I feel right at home in this spell.

Sorry if I came over as a bit aggressive, like I said had a bit of a bad day but shouldn't take it out on the people on here.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Summerhealth/Pages/Heatwaveredalert.aspx

(Heatwave advice)

-

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Summerhealth/Pages/Heatwave.aspx

(Heatwave advice)

-

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/

(Heatwave Level 3 Alert)

-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23371454

(BBC News - Heatwave - updated 20th July)

-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23358290

(Why we need to sweat)

-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19319499

(How to sleep in hot weather)

-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23255554

(Keeping cool)

-

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/health-wellbeing/keeping-your-body-healthy/keeping-cool-in-a-heatwave-/

(AgeUK main website - heatwave advice)

-

Below I have provided the PDF heatwave advice file from AgeUK for you - 

AgeUKIL1_staying_cool_in_a_heatwave_inf.pdf

You can also open it from the ageuk site link above on that page.

(Note-if you can't find how to enlarge the text of the pdf file it could be at the bottom right corner when hover mouse over should appear)

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

If this weather is so great and wonderful why does every forecast these days come with a 'warning' attached to it?

Nanny state.......they think we all lack common sense. If the weather moves slightly away from the British norm then we get warned

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Best skies of the week by far - so blue! 25.8c so far so same as yesterday. Ely isn't so far knocking off temperature - if we manage to equal or even beat yesterday then this could be one of the best days of this spell. Sun feels very strong without the haze around.Jealous of the 28+ temps many of you are recording already - why am I not getting the same here? Understandable in an Ely but even in an Wly we still haven't had the real heat yet! Perhaps Sly is what we need in this location.

For a second I thought you were in Ely.

Posted

NI has reached 30C, but I haven't? More salt in the wound! Next week better deliver.The Porthmadog figure is very impressive btw, considering its location. I wonder what the record is for that place?

It seems a hot spot, has featured as hottest spot in Wales quite a few times this summer, don't recall hearing of it in previous years so possibly a new station.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

If this weather is so great and wonderful why does every forecast these days come with a 'warning' attached to it?

Snow comes with warnings too? That seems pretty popular too yet very disruptive.

As expected cloudy this morning but at least I've seen some glimmers of sun rather than the standard featureless grey sheet of nothingness. Quite a keen breeze on making 20c at 0830 feel not that warm.

Depressing to hear the warm spell might well leave us - such a rare & brief spell of weather it really is!

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

31.2C max here yesterday.

The clegs were rampant.

A nice E breeze picked up during the day and kept the midges away in the evening.

Posted

There's been a lot of noise on here but how enjoyable / not enjoyable this hot weather is...

I love hot weather, provided I'm not working, by a pool or beach or not having to do anything... Sadly, with two pre-schoolers, over insulated houses and high humidity, hot spells are less fun then they used to be... By and large, I've noted on here that the younger you are - school, university age for instance, the more likely you will have enjoyed this hot spell...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

And how hot your house is too. I'm 32 and love the heat as I love being outdoors loads. Folk who want to come home & watch tv/play computer games probably find it harder than those who want to sit out in the garden or go for a evening walk.

Got some sunshine just there but cloud has thickened and seems like the gaps will close up as more filth rolls in off the sea - loads of it to come! I guess at least I can work in the greenhouse this morning - small win... I think.

21.4c max now fallen back to 20.4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
New Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales 2013 provisional maximum temperatures.

Provisional temperatures from Friday 19th July, indicate that it has been the warmest day of 2013 for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. For Scotland 29.5C was recorded at Prestwick, Northern Ireland reached 30.1C at Castlederg, and Wales had the highest temperature of the day, reaching 31.4C at Porthmadog.

The UK and England maximum for 2013 remains the 32.2C recorded at Hampton Water Works, southwest London on Wednesday 17th July.

Posted

Bottesford, absolutely... We are lucky that the sitting room and playroom are cool... The other side of the house is south facing and very warm until after the sun sets...

Of course, trying to get the kids to sleep at 7 when it's hot and sunny is hard!

Posted

Ha yeah as a kid my bedroom faced north-west with sunshine until 9:30pm in June. Try getting me to bed at 7:30pm.... :lol:

Nowadays I really miss evening sun with the supply cut off later afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Ha yeah as a kid my bedroom faced north-west with sunshine until 9:30pm in June. Try getting me to bed at 7:30pm.... Posted Image

Nowadays I really miss evening sun with the supply cut off later afternoon.

NW facing is the hottest direction, get sun from around 4pm to sunset, mine faces north so just as bad, get sun from 5.30pm, so hot evening

South facing must be cooler as sun is so high in sky it dosent really get past window sill, and after 4pm sun not in at all