Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It's been remarkably dry. 

No rain here this July at all.

Posted

im sweating it feels really warm this evening i thought it was mean't to turn a bit cooler tonight or is that tomorrow?

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

im sweating it feels really warm this evening i thought it was mean't to turn a bit cooler tonight or is that tomorrow?

Tomorrow.

Warming up again on Sunday but with much more cloud. Then Monday on wards will be more unsettled with a high chance of thunderstroms and high humidity.

Should reach the highest temp next week though. it just won't be anywhere near as settled as the past two weeks. Much less wall to wall sunshine, if any.  

Edited by matty007

Posted

better hope for storms and rain then, as humid and cloudy is just as bad as cool and cloudy, although high humidity is good for crops i suppose

Edited by Tony27

Posted

better hope for storms and rain then, as humid and cloudy is just as bad as cool and cloudy, although high humidity is good for crops i suppose

Anything but humidity, it's the worst. It would be perfect if it stayed how it was on Wednesday,Thursday and Friday. 

I think they got the prediction right, as soon as the thunder starts rolling in and the rain, it's broken down. Unless it's a passer which I doubt. I think it'll be more unsettled next week and then tumble after Thursday/Friday

Just hope we get the plume come back, or hope it holds on.

I can feel it getting cooler already. Warm air moving over to the West. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

Fair enough I'm young so it probably doesn't take it's toll as much.

I'm nearly 50, maybe that's got something to do with it! But almost everyone I meet now, is complaining that it's all gotten too much - predictably. 'Be careful what you wish for' springs to mind. In an ideal world I'd have all the UK sun-lovers clear off to Southern Europe or Death Valley to get their fill, and leave all us normal folk alone back in Blighty to live a comfortable life with sensible temperatures. If only....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Do understand people struggling in warmth in this country as most British homes are designed to keep heat in rather than let it out. I know when I used to live in my parents place it could easily end up too hot to sleep. Again when I lived in a mid-terrace house it could end up very toasty with the living room hitting 35c+ (in 2006). Bedroom caught all the evening sun too.

So I do understand the issue although of course now it isn't an issue in my 'belongs in southern Spain' house so I'm lapping up this first chance to put it through its paces!

Gorgeous deep blue skies today without the haze or anything - perfection. 17.8c min and now 22.7c.

Think the North Sea will come to spoil the party tomorrow sadly Posted Image

I was talking to someone about family they have in Spain and that the houses over there have thick stone walls and marble floors or something and floor stays cold at night keeping heat out too because of thick walls.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Midnight and it is still 21C out. Had the fan on all day, and opened the windows now that it is cooler outside, and I still feel like I'm burning up. I guess I have no one but myself to blame for getting sunburned though..

BBC weather predicting 32C for Heathrow on Monday, and a temperature range of 20/36 for Thursday. Obviously with the way that the models are changing, nothing even more than a few days out is set in stone, but it seems that there is still a real chance of seeing a new hottest day of the year before this heatwave is up!

Posted

im only 27 and i find it harder to cope with the heat now, i coped fine in 2003 and 2006 when it was over 30c 

Posted

I'm nearly 50, maybe that's got something to do with it! But almost everyone I meet now, is complaining that it's all gotten too much - predictably. 'Be careful what you wish for' springs to mind. In an ideal world I'd have all the UK sun-lovers clear off to Southern Europe or Death Valley to get their fill, and leave all us normal folk alone back in Blighty to live a comfortable life with sensible temperatures. If only....

What's insensible about 30c?, hardly tropical. And that's the max most of the time. Most places it's 26-28c. Stop exaggerating. it's just been a good British summer. 

Fair enough you're working indoors but you can't expect 20c all the time just because you find it a little tough to work in. People actually like nice sunbathing temperatures occasionally. 

I appreciate you don't like the heat but there's no need be so rude and uptight about it. Very few people I've spoke to wish it would breakdown, only people who do are mainly the old (like +70) and the weak. Which is understandable. 

For everyobdoy else, you're not going to die in it. Just keep hydrated. Stop being such a killjoy. I'm sure you'll have something else to complain about when it breaks down. 

Posted

My Dad's 56 and digs trenches in this and puts down paving stones. Puts it in perspective a bit. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Midnight and it is still 21C out. Had the fan on all day, and opened the windows now that it is cooler outside, and I still feel like I'm burning up. I guess I have no one but myself to blame for getting sunburned though..

BBC weather predicting 32C for Heathrow on Monday, and a temperature range of 20/36 for Thursday. Obviously with the way that the models are changing, nothing even more than a few days out is set in stone, but it seems that there is still a real chance of seeing a new hottest day of the year before this heatwave is up!

One amazing event and can it really get hotter that is going to be incredible! 

If sitting/standing Use a wetish flannel/cloth/small towel or something round back of neck and over shoulders I'm doing this and it's helping a lot! nice breeze tonight still hot flat and very warm out there.

Hoping Saturday eve cools for the night we need the break and because next week is going to be high high humidity very hot again but maybe hotter, would be more difficult to cool be prepared everyone we know what to do, if not read all heatwave advice given by the NHS, news and weather sites.

Are provide links in a while.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Use a wetish flannel/cloth/small towel or something round back of neck and over shoulders I'm doing this and it's helping a lot! nice breeze tonight still hot flat and very warm out there.

Hoping Saturday eve cools for the night we need the break and because next week is going to be high high humidity very hot again but maybe hotter, would be more difficult to cool be prepared everyone we know what to do, if not read all heatwave advice given by the NHS, news and weather sites.

I've got the window open now in my room and it's certainly cooling down. You can feel it, especially as it isn't muggy. 

Tomorrow's going to feel grim compared to what we've had.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Can't everyone be allowed to have a weather preference, without being whinged at for having it? It's been hot, it's going to continue to be hot - if you like it that way, enjoy. Why does it matter if someone else doesn't like it? It's not as though wishful thinking, crossing fingers or hoping, will change the weather one iota so it really doesn't matter what anyone wants or enjoys.

Use a wetish flannel/cloth/small towel or something round back of neck and over shoulders I'm doing this and it's helping a lot! nice breeze tonight still hot flat and very warm out there.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely do that before I go to bed. :)

As for what to do if it gets hotter into early next week, I couldn't agree more. It doesn't even have to be much hotter than it has been to feel substantially hotter with the added humidity. It's quite shocking to go outside at 3PM when it is 30C outside and see that everyone down the street has their windows wide open! I've been trying to make a habbit of keeping all windows and curtains closed in the afternoon, and then opening the windows at night when it cools down. The only problem with that is the crane flies that decide to invade the house. I hate the damn things...

Posted

Can't everyone be allowed to have a weather preference, without being whinged at for having it? It's been hot, it's going to continue to be hot - if you like it that way, enjoy. Why does it matter if someone else doesn't like it? It's not as though wishful thinking, crossing fingers or hoping, will change the weather one iota so it really doesn't matter what anyone wants or enjoys.

It's not that other people don't like it, I get that. It's people compulsively bleating, saying they wish that the sun lovers would got to the continent etc. That's just ridiculous. 

I'd have more understanding if this happened every year, then you could say that the people with cooler preferences deserve a cooler Summer. However it's been seven damn years since we last had a decent Summer, all we've had is constant overcast conditions and dismal temperatures the vast majority of the time, apart from the odd two days here and there. I think this country actually deserves a decent Summer for a change. I could also understand if this had been going on for three months and we had a drought but we've had two bludy weeks, that's all. By the looks of it next week will be the last then it'll break down and it'll be peeing it down from August to October most likely. Then the same people who are bleating now will be then. 

I'm all for people having preferences, but be a little rational about it. Look at the dismal condition we've had for so long and actually think 'OK, it's hot for me but it has to be better than constant rain and overcast'. 

Some people will never be happy, they'll complain when it's too hot, when it's too cold. Lack of rain, too much rain. etc. 

If this keeps up you'll never hear me complain about the Winter, no matter how bad it is, because we actually had a decent Summer - and I detest Winter. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

It's not that other people don't like it, I get that. It's people compulsively bleating, saying they wish that the sun lovers would got to the continent etc. That's just ridiculous. 

I'd have more understanding if this happened every year, then you could say that the people with cooler preferences deserve a cooler Summer. However it's been seven damn years since we last had a decent Summer, all we've had is constant overcast conditions and dismal temperatures the vast majority of the time, apart from the odd two days here and there. I think this country actually deserves a decent Summer for a change. I could also understand if this had been going on for three months and we had a drought but we've had two bludy weeks, that's all. By the looks of it next week will be the last then it'll break down and it'll be peeing it down from August to October most likely. Then the same people who are bleating now will be then. 

I'm all for people having preferences, but be a little rational about it. Look at the dismal condition we've had for so long and actually think 'OK, it's hot for me but it has to be better than constant rain and overcast'. 

Some people will never be happy, they'll complain when it's too hot, when it's too cold. Lack of rain, too much rain. etc. 

If this keeps up you'll never hear me complain about the Winter, no matter how bad it is, because we actually had a decent Summer - and I detest Winter. 

What's ridiculous is getting wound up by what someone else wants from the weather. 

Posted

What's ridiculous is getting wound up by what someone else wants from the weather. 

I'm really not, that's my point. 

People like that don't know what they want, it's never right. Their the atypical British moaner, it's either too cold or too hot, not enough rain or too much rain. That's what frustrates me, not people's preferences.

I'll lay you my month's paycheck that these same people will be moaning when it breaks down and is peeing down for the next two months.

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

You're being very silly now - you're getting angry over something that we have no control over. People wishing for cooler weather isn't going to make it any more likely to happen - and just because they've been spoilt over the past few years with their desired weather preference, does not mean they should sit in silence and tolerate it. If you don't like people complaining about this weather, then you do not have to read it, or even acknowledge those posters exist, you can pop them on ignore.

And I can believe that people will complain about this heat and any potential breakdown to cool, wet weather - some people just prefer a middle-ground, say, sunny spells and 22C, which is very pleasant and conductive to outdoor activities, and is typical of the UK in summer.

Edited by cheese

Posted

I'm really not, that's my point. 

People like that don't know what they want, it's never right. Their the atypical British moaner, it's either too cold or too hot, not enough rain or too much rain. That's what frustrates me, not people's preferences.

I'll lay you my month's paycheck that these same people will be moaning when it breaks down and is peeing down for the next two months.

And none of it matters.

As you enjoy the current weather and it's looking increasingly likely a change is on the way, I'd say the sensible thing is to get on with enjoying it while you can, and ignore folk who are not so happy about the heat. 

Posted

that's easy to say now, but let's see if you won't be moaning come January when hopefully we are in the middle of a long cold snowy spell which will test your tolerance of the cold

Edited by Tony27

Posted

You're getting angry over something that we have no control over. 

And I can believe that people will complain about this heat and any potential breakdown to cool, wet weather - some people just prefer a middle-ground, say, sunny spells and 22C, which is very pleasant and conductive to outdoor activities, and is typical of the UK in summer.

Oh come on now, I'm not angry at all. Just making a point. 

Literally I've only heard two people moaning about this weather, both of which were my Grandparents who are both over 85. All the rest of my family, friends, co workers, people on Facebook have unanimously been enjoying this weather and hopes it lasts. They all say - 'about time', and damn right too. 

It's only a few on here apart from my Grandparents that I've actually seen complaining about this weather. I also heard nobody, yes nobody, in 2006 complaining about it. It was warmer and muggier then as well. 

Posted

that's easy to say now, but let's see if you won't be moaning come January when hopefully we are in the middle of a long cold snowy spell which will test your tolerance of the cold

Trust me, I guarantee you I won't. 

I only complain about the Winter when we've had a dismal Summer, because there's no end to it. It's dismal all year round, that's what gets tedious. 

I never complained in 2003, which was quite a poor winter nor did I in 2006.

That's my point, disliking the cold as much as I do, and I really do, if I don't complain in -5/10c temperatures how can these people complain when the temperatures only about 8 degrees above average.  

Posted

Oh come on now, I'm not angry at all. Just making a point. 

Literally I've only heard two people moaning about this weather, both of which were my Grandparents who are both over 85. All the rest of my family, friends, co workers, people on Facebook have unanimously been enjoying this weather and hopes it lasts. They all say - 'about time', and damn right too. 

It's only a few on here apart from my Grandparents that I've actually seen complaining about this weather. I also heard nobody, yes nobody, in 2006 complaining about it. It was warmer and muggier then as well. 

Well you've made your point and that's enough now. Please get back to discussing the topic in hand.

Edited by jethro

Posted

Well you've made your point and that's enough now. Please get back to discussing the topic in hand.

Fair enough.