Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Really was cool today, almost felt cold to be honest after what we've had. Largely due to the high cloud cover and higher winds. 

Peaked at about 23c I think. Would feel sort of warm if the cloud wasn't so vast and the winds weren't higher than they've been. 

Tomorrow looks much warmer and less cloud cover so should be closer to what we've been getting, should be quite a bit better than today at least.  

Looking at the forecasts just now and it seems to be a big improvement on when I looked yesterday, will still be more unsettled next week than last week but doesn't look nearly as bad with temps staying half decent and not so much rain as was on the forecasts for next week yesterday. 

I take it you like the heat! As I said I better with it outside than indoors it's been to much heat indoors. I love sunny high pressures but a moderate temperature of 25C would be great with a breeze in day light winds in eve and cool breeze at night....0: not much variation to ask for then!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
Posted · Hidden by matty007, July 21, 2013 - Didn't quote
Hidden by matty007, July 21, 2013 - Didn't quote

Haha my bad, today. Thank you. 

Yes, it's certainly going to be more unsettled next week. Not as much as we originally thought I don't think though. That's happened quite a few times now, they've forecast storms etc. and then later it's cleared. 

Will be more unsettled than last week though without doubt. 

Just hoping when it does inevitably break down that we get the plume come back over, they have hot air all over the continent so it should. Just dependent on the jet stream really. 

Posted

Sunday (today) or Monday (tomorrow)? Posted Image whatever, Happy Birthday.Posted Image

I can feel a stormy week a brewing. Mind you, I did say that over a week ago and seemingly I could be on the ball.

Haha my bad, today. Thank you. 

Yes, it's certainly going to be more unsettled next week. Not as much as we originally thought I don't think though. That's happened quite a few times now, they've forecast storms etc. and then later it's cleared. 

Will be more unsettled than last week though without doubt. 

Just hoping when it does inevitably break down that we get the plume come back over, they have hot air all over the continent so it should. Just dependent on the jet stream really. 

Tuesday could be hotter, but by then, I think some of the hotter uppers have drifted back away from the UK, and the BBC forecast is showing Tuesday quite a bit cooler than it did earlier.

The models haven't been able to get much of a grip so far, so I think it could happen on either day, I just personally see Monday having more ingredients to see those mid thirties temperatures than Tuesday.

Edit: Happy Birthday!

Yes you might be right. Monday does look nice and hot. Just dependent on whether the hot air stays over us. Wouldn't be surprised if it continues into Tuesday and it turns out hotter, we'll see, fingers crossed. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

Not sure about it having cooled down much - I woke about 30 mins ago, soaked in sweat! Just this ol' house holding the warmth in the masonry; a stroll outside in the drizzle was really quite pleasant.

Posted

Has started off with full cloud cover, lower wind and higher temp than yesterday though. 

Cloud will clear at about 14:00/15:00 here to bring the sun in, should reach about 25/26c. 

Will finish off finer than yesterday. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well Hot spell has really come to a shuddering end. Cool some will say cold dull cloudy with some overnight rain. Not a pleasant start to the day.

Posted

The cloud is just starting to lift here, we might get a sunny afternoon at this rate. Definitely a cool feel this morning though.

Posted

Could be the coldest day of the month if things do brighten up.

Posted

Here in Bingley west yorks,cool and very overcast and even puddles on the road from overnight rain lol.Better nights sleep though and should be again tonight as i cant see the cloud clearing again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Overcast again today, with an ever so slight spray in the air earlier this morning. Still no significant rainfall though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Drizzle, thick low cloud and a steady cooling easterly wind - all the ingredients for a poor weather day.

Down to 15.6c overnight but only 16.9c now.

The house is cooling fast - this wind rapidly stripping it of any warmth it built up last week. Living room temperature only just 21c now which is the min we like to live at. With no sun & lower temps I fear it will simply get cooler. Certainly opening the door or windows is out today - and already do I miss the breeze coming in.

Feels a bit wrong posting in a 'hot & settled spell'!

Posted

Botty I think tomorrow will heat the house up a lot again with the heat and humidity, surprised your house gets so cool so quickly though!

Posted

Yes should be the unexpected cool cold spell discussion. Windows still open here house just right if the easterly breeze picked up I'd have to close the east facing ones.

Posted

Drizzle, thick low cloud and a steady cooling easterly wind - all the ingredients for a poor weather day.

Down to 15.6c overnight but only 16.9c now.

The house is cooling fast - this wind rapidly stripping it of any warmth it built up last week. Living room temperature only just 21c now which is the min we like to live at. With no sun & lower temps I fear it will simply get cooler. Certainly opening the door or windows is out today - and already do I miss the breeze coming in.

Feels a bit wrong posting in a 'hot & settled spell'!

Yes, was very cool here earlier too. Feels horrible compared to Friday and before. Just looked at the weather for you're area and it does look bleak. 

Luckily where I am the cloud clears at about 14:00 and the sun comes, will reach 26c. Not quite what we've had but not too bad, will be a nice improvement on yesterday for here at least. 

It's strange it's so much worse where you are though considering we're pretty close. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Botty I think tomorrow will heat the house up a lot again with the heat and humidity, surprised your house gets so cool so quickly though!

It's the perfect home for one of the following:

- Being located in the south of Spain or,

- For someone who likes it cool or cold all the time.

It will warm up tomorrow yes - although until I get home from work the warm, humid air will remain outside - have to open the windows to let it in. Although sunshine 0830-1230 would help a lot too.

Don't get me wrong - upstairs is fine and warm, but upstairs only consists of a small bedroom+bathroom so we're not up there much. Downstairs, (1 large living room+kitchen) is like a refrigerator... It's an old 'coach house' so I guess horses liked it cool!

Posted

Could be the coldest day of the month if things do brighten up.

No chance, the first three days were certainly cooler and a couple of others most probably. 

In Heathrow they will reach about 28c today so far from the lowest of the month, it's just more unsettled in other parts of the country. The west are getting good temps as well.  

Posted

Yesterday was utter rubbish here. Typical easterly dross. Cloudy pretty much all day with a max of 17.0C in a brief sunny spell. Now 5 of the 6 days with less than 1 hour sun this summer have been at the weekend. It's sickeningPosted Image

Fortunately I was able to take a trip up to Findhorn on the Moray Firth and while there was some horrible cloud scudding in off the sea there as well it soon cleared up in to a glorious blue sky day. When I came back on the train it was clear and sunny as far as Dyce it was just in the city centre that the gloom stuck all day.

Thankfully today is a lot better back in Aberdeen. The murk has cleared - lots of blue sky showing and up to 17.3C so while it will not be as warm as during the week it will at least be a huge improvement on yesterday and the best that can be hoped for with a ghastly SE'ly wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well it may be cloudy here but it certainly don't feel cool in Costa del Newbury. 19.8c AT, 79% humidity resulting in a 16C DP.

Posted

It's devastating to see that low pressure rolling in from the west come Tuesday Posted Image

Edited by matty007

Posted

No chance, the first three days were certainly cooler and a couple of others most probably. 

In Heathrow they will reach about 28c today so far from the lowest of the month, it's just more unsettled in other parts of the country. The west are getting good temps as well.  

Every chance coldest here 15.9C peak so far 15.6C so we could have the coldest day of the month. I think it's unlikely but certainly possible.

Posted

Every chance coldest here 15.9C peak so far 15.6C so we could have the coldest day of the month. I think it's unlikely but certainly possible.

Yep, gosh that is low. 

It's the damn cloud that's making it dismal, when (and if depending where you are) that clears then it'll feel pleasant again. Doesn't help with the easterly wind either. Think it'll still hit 26/27c where I am today though. 

Posted

It's devastating to see that low pressure rolling in from the west come Tuesday Posted Image

To my jaded eyes it looks like a speck of light at the end of a very, very long tunnel.

Posted

To my jaded eyes it looks like a speck of light at the end of a very, very long tunnel.

Well, it's preferences I guess. To me it didn't last close to as long as I hoped. To think there's only one more day of it and then it might be peeing it down until Autumn :(

I just felt like we deserved a long warm Summer for a change, and I'd hardly call two and a half weeks a long long time Posted Image especially as Winter can drag on for three-four months. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

been exactly 2 weeks since the heatwave started here, think we only recorded about 2 days were it didnt get above 20c, fantastic for us in west cumbria.

Posted

23c here already!! going to be HOT day I reckon, waiting for overnight thunderstorms later indicated on BBC weather :)