Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 21st July 2013 onwards

Posted

This is crazy, I'm looking at 1) work 2) out the window 3) this forum thread and 4) trying to find a simple guide for photographing lightning with a DLSR for newbies. I need more eyes!

It's just hit 30.c here and it's oppressive.  I just put the  thermometer in the direct sun for a laugh and it's reading 48.c Posted Image  The sky is milky but there's a gusty breeze every so often.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

I think the rain could be a feature that will worry a few overnight:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not worried about the rain so much it's the flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder that scare me and since most indicate frequent lightning it's this what has me worried most

Ironically enough I remember a storm coming up from France obviously before 2007 when there were rumbles of thunder every 10-20 seconds a new one was rumbling overlapping the other are we in for that again and what is considered frequent lightning in the UK

Posted

What are your thoughts for our chances tonight Coast?

'Our' chances are slim and maybe only an isolated thunderstorm I think. Countrywide I think there could be a one or two good spots that will see something more substantial, Midlands upwards looks favourite. But I'm thinking tomorrow morning on might be better for the remainder of the Country - I'd like a peak at this afternoons 12z Skew T's to get a better idea of what's brewing up there.

trying to find a simple guide for photographing lightning with a DLSR for newbies. 

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-photograph-lightning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Finally the sun is out temp has shot up to 25 dp 17; should be an interesting 48 hours

Edited by Lee aka Boro Snow

Posted

I'm not worried about the rain so much it's the flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder that scare me and since most indicate frequent lightning it's this what has me worried most

On average only 3 people are killed by lightning in the UK and approximately 50 inured. Out of the whole population total that's pretty good odds that you will be safe, if not very safe.

Here in the UK there is around a one in three million chance of being struck by lightning. Which are bigger odds than winning the Lottery!

http://eden.uktv.co.uk/nature/earth/article/thunder-and-lightning-facts/

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Ironically enough I remember a storm coming up from France obviously before 2007 when there were rumbles of thunder every 10-20 seconds a new one was rumbling overlapping the other are we in for that again and what is considered frequent lightning in the UK

You probably suffer from Brontophobia, you just have to remember thunder can't hurt you, and it's pretty rare to be hit by lightning inside the house, just stay off the phone & unplug any valuable electrical equipment from the mains if the storms close or overhead.

I've come close to being struck by lightning twice in my life now, but oddly it doesn't scare me. I just go with the motto sh*t happens. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm in Worcestershire 20 miles sw of Birmingham, hazy sunshine at the moment, could be a good spot later :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Just out of curiosity If I were attempting to get a grip of this what do you think I should do take them on just sit though it try and tough it out or a more gradual process because as of now I worry the nervous energy and the stress are going to someday eventually kill me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Erm, no it isn't!!! It's Most defo West Midlands region.Still far too much hazy high cloud muck here. Not confident at all right now.

Although it is east of Birmingham you are correct, Warwickshire falls into the West Midlands in terms of geographical regions. It is covered within the meto warnings though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

You probably suffer from Brontophobia, you just have to remember thunder can't hurt you, and it's pretty rare to be hit by lightning inside the house, just stay off the phone & unplug any valuable electrical equipment from the mains if the storms close or overhead.

I've come close to being struck by lightning twice in my life now, but oddly it doesn't scare me. I just go with the motto sh*t happens. Posted Image

And, in the mean time, all us nutters will be sitting in front of an open window, looking at online lightning detectors!Posted Image

Posted

Agree with coast, i see nothing significant brewing.

we almost at peak temps between 3/4 pm after that point it begins cooling off for storms to form. Saw this last night i was 10 miles thats right 10 miles from the storms near salisbury and it got to a certain point where they dissapaited. We need to see some sort of initiation now before time runs out and we are left with thundery rain.

Posted

Just out of curiosity If I were attempting to get a grip of this what do you think I should do take them on just sit though it try and tough it out or a more gradual process because as of now I worry the nervous energy and the stress are going to someday eventually kill me

if i were you i would stand outside and watch it approach, obviouslly if it starts to rain then get inside (unless you fancy a nice cool shower) by watching the approach you can see the flashes and hear the thunder but with the easy comfort of returning back inside

Posted

Lol Think I better stick with Merica, me Geography of the Uk is pretty pants by the sounds of things.

Good luck anyway guys

Mine too mate, and I live in the East Midlands Posted Image

Just been outside and boy does it feel different from 8am this morning. The cool breeze and cloud has been replaced with a real thick mugginess with hazy sun and it feels very steamy. Temperatures now 25c/18c so lord knows what it feels like where temperatures are now topping 30c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Well I guess it's probably a good idea to face the fear head on if you can manage it. Would help massively if at least one person was with you! It's so unlikely that you would get hurt especially if taking sensible precautions. If u face the fear and get through it, think how amazing you will feel removing a big fear from your life.

Posted

So jealous of all you folks in the potential storm areas! Good luck on finally seeing some good action everybody! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I'm in work until 10pm so won't be ideally placed if anything does kick off. Sure I'll be able to find an excuse to go outside though lol!

What's your opinion of Cheshire Paul for later?

P.s Top class analysis of the unfolding situation as ever by Brickfielder, yourself and Nick Finnis

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

I'm not worried about the rain so much it's the flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder that scare me and since most indicate frequent lightning it's this what has me worried most Ironically enough I remember a storm coming up from France obviously before 2007 when there were rumbles of thunder every 10-20 seconds a new one was rumbling overlapping the other are we in for that again and what is considered frequent lightning in the UK

When I was younger I was petrified of storms then grew out of it in my teens, becoming obsessed. Ironically, now I live them they are few and far between...the power and beauty is just unbeatable IMO. Still my phobia of bees wasps and moths (and crane flies to a slightly lesser extent) is as unbearable as ever!!!Heat and humidity down here by the coast is incredible....at 10:30 some thermometers here were showing 27C....lush!!!! Am gagging for a storm so badly I can't tell you :cray:

Posted

Mine too mate, and I live in the East Midlands Posted Image

Just been outside and boy does it feel different from 8am this morning. The cool breeze and cloud has been replaced with a real thick mugginess with hazy sun and it feels very steamy. Temperatures now 25c/18c so lord knows what it feels like where temperatures are now topping 30c!

Very hot down here in Kent I can tell you! And not very much breeze to cool things down either annoyingly.

33.1C so far at Heathrow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Gordon, If I were you I'd seek out CBT . As for now, stick on some headphones with your fav music blaring and do some housework or something you enjoy just for a little distraction!Posted Image

Posted

And, in the mean time, all us nutters will be sitting in front of an open window, looking at online lightning detectors!Posted Image

Or even worse, standing outside pointing a camcorder at it!

Posted

Great idea, sit and watch safely indoors if your able to, and when you feel more confident stand in the doorway and watch the sky & lightning. It's what I did as a child to overcome my fear of storms at an early age. You'll come to appreciate the beauty and raw power of nature. Also learning the technicalities of storms and how they develop and function will give you a better understanding and reduce any fear levels.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

When I was younger I was petrified of storms then grew out of it in my teens, becoming obsessed. Ironically, now I live them they are few and far between...the power and beauty is just unbeatable IMO. Still my phobia of bees wasps and moths (and crane flies to a slightly lesser extent) is as unbearable as ever!!!

Heat and humidity down here by the coast is incredible....at 10:30 some thermometers here were showing 27C....lush!!!! Am gagging for a storm so badly I can't tell you Posted Image

Talking of phobias mine is Seaweed... Weird

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

When I was younger I was petrified of storms then grew out of it in my teens, becoming obsessed. Ironically, now I live them they are few and far between...the power and beauty is just unbeatable IMO. Still my phobia of bees wasps and moths (and crane flies to a slightly lesser extent) is as unbearable as ever!!!

Heat and humidity down here by the coast is incredible....at 10:30 some thermometers here were showing 27C....lush!!!! Am gagging for a storm so badly I can't tell you Posted Image

Likewise, Harry!

Posted

Fellow brontophobe here. I know exactly what you're going through, although luckily we don't seem to be in the firing line today (or hopefully tomorrow) we did have a nasty MCS overhead last month that lasted a good hour-and-a-half. If I think a storm's coming, I find something alcoholic to drink. If I'm tipsy it makes it alot easier to deal with. In fact, I've even managed to ignore storms pretty successfully when I've had a few.

Just sit tight, and remember that eventually it HAS to end. It can't go on forever. All you have to do is get through it! If you need someone to talk to, message me.