Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 21st July 2013 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

is there not a small convergance zone just west of london as the easterly winds meet the southerlies?

post-15445-0-65259100-1374501241_thumb.j

Posted

just got back from the Cotswold water park, next door to Fairford......Cu field starting to develop around 1:30pm disapating as I passed Swindon on the way home.....Here at Lyneham (approx 20 miles SW of Fairford) a few 'cotton wool' Cu but also lanes of Ac Cas encroaching from the south....

Forecast Cu for18.00hrs gives a hint at where things might get going:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

The island to the west of Italy has just blown up in storms. Wow. Can't wait for the storms to hit here.! I hope they hold off til after 10pm seeing as I have work until then!

http://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/europe/?bo_page=archive&bo_map=sat_europe_mpe&bo_animation=now〈=en

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Forecast Cu for18.00hrs gives a hint at where things might get going:

Posted Image

Posted Image

yep Robin, at the moment I'd say the southern boundary of the Cu field is here (Lyneham, 5 miles south of the M4) and the wind convergence area looks to move furhter north as we go into the evening, so that chart and The Sherminator's summary look bang on! Posted Image

just to add , i feel I'm literally a handful of miles too far south to catch a home grown (I breed 'em, warickshire gets 'em...lol) but for here tonights possible elevated imports and into tomorrow hold my interest

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

I thought if I learned more about storms it'd help with my fear, but strangely it actually made it worse. I am getting a little better as I get older, but in my twenties I suffered from it dreadfully and have even been known to hide in cupboards! Posted Image

I do that now hide in cupboards with a mobile phone playing youtube music videos and check the radar every 15 minutes to get an idea of track and speed , worked quite well last year when we had those storms over the Olympic weekend

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I thought if I learned more about storms it'd help with my fear, but strangely it actually made it worse. I am getting a little better as I get older, but in my twenties I suffered from it dreadfully and have even been known to hide in cupboards! Posted Image

I used to really like storms and would be on here posting in anticipation of them arriving. Two dreadful experiences with them (especially the first one) started off my fear of them. Plus imo gaining knowledge of them and when they are most likely for my own area has done me no favours at all. That saying that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing has some truth to itPosted Image

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Well, Its now 30.1 Â°C

with humidity at 35%

Its starting to get really warm and "close" strong sunshine with a few small CU around.

Posted

i upload data from my Nextstorm software to this site that then correlates it with several others to produce this webpage

plenty of zoom options and can show last 24hr

http://www.strikestareu.com/sslt/sslt.html

worth a look  shows the lightning over South Dorset last night quite well

Edited by gpspete

Posted

Things should start kicking off somewhere shortly if the gfs 06z is correct.Posted Image 

Posted ImageRmgfs093.gif

It would appear the gfs was overly enthusiastic.Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Take a look near Caen. A shower has gone from nothing to a full blown thunderstorm dropping lots of strikes in 15 minutes! Signs of whats to come.

Posted

Take a look near Caen. A shower has gone from nothing to a full blown thunderstorm dropping lots of strikes in 15 minutes! Signs of whats to come.

Yeah just saw that where is it heading NE i presume?

Posted

29.7C with a dew point of 21C and humidity at 60%. Feeling hot outside, but not bad inside. Looking forward to some brilliant storms!!!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

First signs of increasing mid level instability here in East Grinstead with a slowly developing Altocumulus Castellanus field

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

I used to really like storms and would be on here posting in anticipation of them arriving. Two dreadful experiences with them (especially the first one) started off my fear of them. Plus imo gaining knowledge of them and when they are most likely for my own area has done me no favours at all. That saying that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing has some truth to itPosted Image

Yeah I did a similar thing a few years back decided to learn more about them wish I hadn't as a little ignorance can be bliss

Posted

Yeah just saw that where is it heading NE i presume?

It looks to be heading NNE if it follows the upper steering winds. If it survives it would be on track to hit somewhere between IOW and Brighton much later on.

Posted

Sounds similar to what happened to me. I used to love storms and every time they happened (they're thankfully fairly rare in this part of the UK) was an exciting surprise. In 2001 we had a nasty rash of them, and one woke me up in the middle of the night. Now I know what 'gunshot thunder' means! Loudest thing I've ever heard in my life, and I instantly developed a terror of them. It's such a shame, because it's prevented me from enjoying summertime, and I avoid going anywhere that might be storm-prone.

I've heard it's one of the tougher phobias to get rid of, and I can believe it!

Posted

29.7C with a dew point of 21C and humidity at 60%. Feeling hot outside, but not bad inside. Looking forward to some brilliant storms!!!

do you think we are going to get lucky around these parts and cop a good storm

Posted

It looks to be heading NNE if it follows the upper steering winds. If it survives it would be on track to hit somewhere between IOW and Brighton much later on.

That would be on tee with Estofex prediction, possible MCS "IF" it survives the channel, but then could head NE like always

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Yeah I did a similar thing a few years back decided to learn more about them wish I hadn't as a little ignorance can be bliss

The mechanisms that trigger them are fascinating and the cloudscapes as well I still love to see. The proviso is that they are at a distance and not coming this way!!

Initiation of storms is well under way across the channel and Eastern parts of France into the Benelux are lighting up like a Christmas tree

http://meteox.com/images.aspx?jaar=-3&voor=&soort=loop-bliksem&c=&n=&tijdid=20137221618

Posted

I really do hope so, but Lincolnshire as a whole always tends to do well with thunderstorms.

Posted

Less haze now and more sunshine is pushing the temperature up further, currently 26c/17c and so the met office prediction of 29c may be reached. Getting a "thunder headache" too. I just have a feeling today/tonight is going to deliver :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I really do hope so, but Lincolnshire as a whole always tends to do well with thunderstorms.

Grantham seems to have done well in particular!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

NAE 12z accumulation charts show some very heavy rain across the spine of England i.e West, South, North Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire etc, but it's changing a lot from run to run.

Posted Image