Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 21st July 2013 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Gordon, If I were you I'd seek out CBT . As for now, stick on some headphones with your fav music blaring and do some housework or something you enjoy just for a little distraction!Posted Image

Just don't have whatever it is playing the music plugged into the mains Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Just don't have whatever it is playing the music plugged into the mains Posted Image

Behave, lol

Posted

Talking of phobias mine is Seaweed... Weird

hmm that made me giggle i have to admit, even though phobias are no laughing matter! my phobia is being in the open sea, hate the idea of it. sorry off topic

Posted

Fellow brontophobe here. I know exactly what you're going through, although luckily we don't seem to be in the firing line today (or hopefully tomorrow) we did have a nasty MCS overhead last month that lasted a good hour-and-a-half. If I think a storm's coming, I find something alcoholic to drink. If I'm tipsy it makes it alot easier to deal with. In fact, I've even managed to ignore storms pretty successfully when I've had a few.

Just sit tight, and remember that eventually it HAS to end. It can't go on forever. All you have to do is get through it! If you need someone to talk to, message me.

Im not far down the coast from you in Cadgwith and im pretty sure we are not in the firing line for this week.

I also once was petrified of storms, but this fear turned into interest after watching several storm chasing programs and experiencing some great storm events in 2005 and 2006. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Ooops yeah, make sure it's an ipod or something Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

I'm in work until 10pm so won't be ideally placed if anything does kick off. Sure I'll be able to find an excuse to go outside though lol!

What's your opinion of Cheshire Paul for later?

P.s Top class analysis of the unfolding situation as ever by Brickfielder, yourself and Nick Finnis

We are still overcast and up to a mind blowing 19c at the moment CC....

Posted

Just out of curiosity If I were attempting to get a grip of this what do you think I should do take them on just sit though it try and tough it out or a more gradual process because as of now I worry the nervous energy and the stress are going to someday eventually kill me

Mine was cured by watching them...when you see the clouds growing and the sky darkening, it is simply beautiful. When you see a lightning flash and an explosion, yes it's cool but a bit short of the full pound. When you see the lightning bolt sparking across the sky, then the crackling sound creeping across the sky and the eventual peel and booms....awesome!!People have tried to talk me round to the wonderful world of bees wasps and moths....still however it causes me blind panic, palpitations, racing heart, sweat beads....simply horrible - when one flies in the office/home or when eating outside I leap up in blind panic....it's embarrassing and tiring!!! But storms I conquered, and now I just cannot get enough, if you hear the rumblings or flickers and flashes of an approaching storm, especially if distant, try hard to watch it from a window....it really is one of the most awe inspiring sights in the world IMO!!! Go for it!!!!Coast, I hope that's a bit of reverse psychology :cray:

Posted

We are still overcast and up to a mind blowing 19c at the moment CC....

My thermometer showing 28C but pretty sure that's being corrupted by sunlight even though it's not in an obvious position where the sun is affecting it. Local observation from a mile away has 25C.

Milky sunshine at the minute.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

The sun is finally beginning to break through the murk.  Temperatures are already rising and it feels very sweaty out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

My thermometer showing 28C but pretty sure that's being corrupted by sunlight even though it's not in an obvious position where the sun is affecting it. Local observation from a mile away has 25C.

Milky sunshine at the minute.

That was when I checked an hour ago.We aren't anywhere near 25c yet but it does feel more humid and warmer in the last half hour. Still got lots of cloud cover though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Yep I've got storm chasers on DVD also got other weather related DVD's and I can watch lightning or storms without fear and probably watch those particular ones most I also watched some of the streams from the US storm chasing holiday or whatever you call it

I can do all that but I cannot face it in person which I find strange

Posted

That was when I checked an hour ago.We aren't anywhere near 25c yet but it does feel more humid and warmer in the last half hour. Still got lots of cloud cover though

Very warm and humid here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Just out of curiosity If I were attempting to get a grip of this what do you think I should do take them on just sit though it try and tough it out or a more gradual process because as of now I worry the nervous energy and the stress are going to someday eventually kill me

When I was younger I too was terrified of thunderstorms, I had to go and hide whenever we got one! It kind of changed for me when I was on holiday in Tunisia and we were sat out in the evening watching a storm that had come over us earlier heading out to sea, putting on a great light show and it was such a beautiful sight. Been to Florida three times since and love the climate and regular storms there, I've gone from being terrified to obsessed with storms and I now chase them when I can!

Best thing to do is try and face up to it, watch them from a distance and only go inside when it gets too much, you may gain a whole new appreciation for storms!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

33oC @ RAF Northolt! DP: 15oC and RH: 34%

Posted

Again looking at XC weather wind directions.  I still think the Bristol area is the area to watch along with north Wales.  Around Bristol in particular you have Filton with 10mph NNW and then just a few miles away Lulsgate 10mph SSE.

An area round the wash is also now showing signs of opposing wind directions so could be something to look out for.

Posted

Im not far down the coast from you in Cadgwith and im pretty sure we are not in the firing line for this week.

I also once was petrified of storms, but this fear turned into interest after watching several storm chasing programs and experiencing some great storm events in 2005 and 2006. 

I thought if I learned more about storms it'd help with my fear, but strangely it actually made it worse. I am getting a little better as I get older, but in my twenties I suffered from it dreadfully and have even been known to hide in cupboards! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Again looking at XC weather wind directions.  I still think the Bristol area is the area to watch along with north Wales.  Around Bristol in particular you have Filton with 10mph NNW and then just a few miles away Lulsgate 10mph SSE.

An area round the wash is also now showing signs of opposing wind directions so could be something to look out for.

That's a change.

Posted

In the north Kent downs we have 32.8c with RH 50%. According to my netatmo it feels like 41c and I don't disbelieve it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Convection building here and my weather station is showing a temp of 33.3c.The humidity is up and down at the moment currently showing 50%

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

In the north Kent downs we have 32.8c with RH 50%. According to my netatmo it feels like 41c and I don't disbelieve it.

Temperature just dropped 1 degree in 2 minutes?

From 32.5'c to 31.2'c

Edited by interestingweather

Posted

The island to the west of Italy has just blown up in storms. Wow. Can't wait for the storms to hit here.! I hope they hold off til after 10pm seeing as I have work until then!

Posted

Some fantastic storms erupting across Eastern France currently, unfortunately not heading our way. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

No Worries

As I posted earlier the CZ Is roughly a little bit further North than where I sited it earlier, the far North Western Part is actually into Wales atm for example. I am liking the area near Gloucester and the Cotswolds and more especially near Fairford, Converging winds from 3 angles here currently and with some Orographic Ascent as well as a Visible agitated nature on the Satelite Picture have a hunch that something could fire in a line from the Northern Part of the Cotswolds across towards the Chilterns just South of Oxford.

As in chasing in the States you would want to be North of Initiation with this wind vector to get an angle on which cell to Attack so Warwickshire looks perfectly placed, being South of a Built Up City and with good road option.

just got back from the Cotswold water park, next door to Fairford......Cu field starting to develop around 1:30pm disapating as I passed Swindon on the way home.....Here at Lyneham (approx 20 miles SW of Fairford) a few 'cotton wool' Cu but also lanes of Ac Cas encroaching from the south....

just to add the official weather station here at RAF Lyneham is recording current temp of 31.3C with a dew point of 19.4C

Edited by ajpoolshark