Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 23rd July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A lightening strike over Manchester which has destroyed some critical pieces of railway signalling equipment at Manchester Piccadilly

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

post-7254-0-70106300-1374586130_thumb.jp

Seems to me that the North-West and Home Counties just get bugger all. Those in Cheshire, Lancashire...I share your frustration! Posted Image

Haha, and we share yours. So....the areas that DID get storms are now basking in glorious sunshine....and the ones that didn't (ahem) are stuck with this bland, interminable dross-fest of a day...truly the weather gods despise us....Posted Image

Posted

Seems to me that the North-West and Home Counties just get bugger all. Those in Cheshire, Lancashire...I share your frustration! Posted Image

Stockport had a monster this morning around 6am.

A lightening strike over Manchester which has destroyed destroyed some critical pieces of railway signalling equipment at Manchester Piccadilly

Posted Image

Photo!

Posted

What are the DPs like at the moment? (I'm in work)

EDIT sorry, was answered above! 18c isn't bad at all.

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Line of Tcu bubbling up nicely across central London now, looking east from Hounslow:

post-1052-0-27607600-1374586318_thumb.jp

Posted

Good luck Adi F...was an a amazing night last night!! Am hoping for maybe something similar tonight :D those cells over N France at the moment may make a close pass. Then it's eyes down for later this evening and hopefully it unfolds in a positive way.

Cheers Harry. I left Oxford way too early yesterday. Hopefully some more stuff will come up from France.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Well the sun is now shining in all its glory and I see cumulus developing to the south/southwest of here. Feels sultry too. Hopefully some good surface heating to help initiate some storms, though I suspect the actual temperature is not particularly important up here today.

Not really sure when to expect anything to crop up or what time slot is prime for thunderstorm development - between now and 5 I suspect?

Edited by cheese

Posted

Well, last night I watched a great light display to my south east, and this morning we had a decent storm with nice, heavy rain, some great lightning as it was coming in, and at one point some exceedingly loud thunder. Whilst the cell to the south east wasn't a direct hit, and the storm over us this morning wasn't always that active, I'm satisfied with this thundery spell. Plus, there may be more to come today! Posted Image

Edited by Static Prevails

Posted

Deep CU bases now formed overhead, a few patches of darker sky inbetween the convection but still nothing (yet) that's caught my eye.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

I would say the next 2-3 hours are critical.

I'd say the next 2-3 months are critical.....Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Heads up to those to the NE of my location. Something is developing to my SE and heading N. A few big convective drops falling but seems we're breeding this one.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Quite a good day weather-wise for me.  Woke by thunder at around 5.30am which continued for around 2 hours.  Some very close lightning with instant cracks of thunder.  Torrential rain left many roads flooded including the busy A644 where a bus got stuck in deep water.

Currently we have almost clear blue skies albeit with haze in the distance.  Temperatures now up to 21C and rising rapidly.  Still feels very humid out there.

Looking forward to a possible round two this evening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Met office have now raised the warning to Amber for NW England. 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&fcTime=1374534000

Signs of some bigger clouds starting to develop on latest satellite picture in a line from Birmingham to Manchester/Liverpool.

Posted

Met office have now raised the warning to Amber for NW England. 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&fcTime=1374534000

Signs of some bigger clouds starting to develop on latest satellite picture in a line from Birmingham to Manchester/Liverpool.

Interesting - especially since the likes of NW, UKASF, Estofex, Skywarn and UKWW think more eastern areas will have the highest risk of severe storms.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Just been outside and between the gaps in the clouds I can see some quite vigorous convection going on, I can actually feel the updrafts rushing up the valley.

I reckon that from 4 PM onwards we will start to see stuff kicking off here in the north west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Interesting - especially since the likes of NW, UKASF, Skywarn and UKWW think more eastern areas will have the highest risk of severe storms.

It is interesting, maybe they can see something happening up there over these areas. Amber warnings are normally raised when severe weather is more imminent as there needs to be a reasonable likelihood as well as impact. Of course anything that developed here would likely spread NE and so eastern areas would still be at risk. The Amber warnings may get expanded into Yorkshire and NE England later?

Posted

Interesting - especially since the likes of NW, UKASF, Estofex, Skywarn and UKWW think more eastern areas will have the highest risk of severe storms.

Well, forgive me for putting it this way, but there's B*&&^r all happening in the East at the moment, so would suggest that UKMO is right

Posted

Well, forgive me for putting it this way, but there's B*&&^r all happening in the East at the moment, so would suggest that UKMO is right

There's bugger all happening anywhere right now!