Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18z 28/07/13

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well if the Country File forecast and the GFS is right we may get away with a fairly decent week tomorrow being the exception. Temps look about perfect low 20's and you can always miss the showers. The hot stuff preserved more the south and South east. Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

GFS 12z showing a decent rise in pressure from the south to end the week and persist into the weekend. Temperatures wont exactly be increasing that much due to the already warm temperatures of the coming week. However it would mean a dry weekend would be on the cards for much of the southern half of the UK with northern Britain seeing more unsettled conditions. 

The coming week isnt looking bad either once tomorrows rain clears away. Tuesday sees a weak area of high pressure over the UK but the odd shower cant be ruled out. Towards the end of the week the Azores High ridges across southern areas to bring increasing amounts of dry and warmish conditions with temperatures peaking at around 24c. Could be as high as 26/27 next weekend though.

• Like 3

Posted

UKMO moving towards a settled start to the weekend as well, more especially for southern areas. Sunday would be showing something more unsettled though.

Posted Image

Edited by Milhouse
  • Like 1

Posted

The 12z GEFS ensemble mean indicates reasonable support for a very warm and dry spell developing in time for next weekend

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

hmm Wednesday needs watching in the South east, potentially could get some thundery rain from low pressure developing over France. BBC seem to be watching it based on their week ahead forecast.

Temperatures looks average to warm over the week. I personally think 25C could get squeezed out tomorrow in East Anglia if the front drags its heels. Maxima seem to be around 25C for the rest of the week so pretty good really.

Looking at potentially another good weekend coming up too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Don't mind there is no heatwave on the way as this week is looking like been another very acceptable one after would what we could say is a blip tomorrow there is a chance of some thundery rain in parts of the south and SE on Wednesday which needs watching closely but away from there sunshine looks the order of the day once more for many (Scotland looks an exception at times) and with temperatures around 20c and winds light it will feel very pleasant not too hot and sticky and not too cool

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Some pleasant looking recent runs indeed with some nice Azores High ridging  ... personally I'm more than happy to see earlier trends for the forthcoming week more or less being confirmed.

Next weekend, and maybe? beyond, looking very acceptable for settled weather preferrers -- further south at least,

Who needs heatwaves?

• Like 1

Posted

Some pleasant looking recent runs indeed with some nice Azores High ridging  ... personally I'm more than happy to see earlier trends for the forthcoming week more or less being confirmed. Next weekend, and maybe? beyond, looking very acceptable for settled weather preferrers -- further south at least, Who needs heatwaves?

certainly not I :pi have to say, this is perfect summer weather to me, if it verifies. Showers, sun, warm... Humid and hot ain't my sort. the ecm op is less progressive with the ridging, so by the looks of it the South will be mostly fine, while the NW is more prone to fronts. Standard for the UK, one could say.
  • Like 1

Posted

I actually remember how that felt too ! People would've thought it was the Costa Del Sol it was that mild. 

Overall, the weather looks to be going into rest mode from after Monday. Plain old boring by the looks of things... zzzz!

That image gave me heart palpitations. Costa del Sol? I think 14C and drizzle reminds people of something quite different! Interesting that a colder spell did follow a few days later - a glance at the chart on the 3rd makes it look very  much "locked in". Posted Image

Posted

That image gave me heart palpitations. Costa del Sol? I think 14C and drizzle reminds people of something quite different! Interesting that a colder spell did follow a few days later - a glance at the chart on the 3rd makes it look very  much "locked in". 

16C was actually recorded quite widely on the February 3rd 2004 I believe, hence why I remembered it! A very exciting event, although it paled in comparison to February 2008 which is probably my best winter month ever.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The GFS 18z removes the threat of rain for the south east on Wednesday.

Posted Image

Thundery low develops further East.

A lot of uncertainty about tomorrow and Wednesday overall, the other days of this week look a little easier to resolve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Gfs 12z

Posted Image

Gfs 18z

Posted Image

similar timeframe, big difference.

Yep the models are very uncertain in FI as usual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

hmm... my popularity rating is going to go down even further with this post....

sorry guys, i didnt see all of last nights runs, but this morning i see nothing to be optimistic about, with regards to 'summerlike' weather. previous runs might have suggested the azh to ridge in and settle things down, but this morning its back to having them collapse before more atlantic systems push in.

Posted ImageRtavn1442.pngPosted ImageRtavn2762.png

these charts are typical of the whole run, showing a trough/ridge regime with frontal zones. cooler after the cold front, milder muggy but largely cloudy warm sectors.

and with anomaly charts like these,

Posted Imagetest8.gif

which have been broadly similar for several runs now, it would suggest that runs showing the azh ridging in were unlikely to happen, and the rather miserable runs this morning are closer to whats generally expected over the next two weeks or so..

so august from now into the mid month period, going off this mornings runs, is looking distinctly average, even below average at times. true, there will be some nicer days with pleasant sun, but rain, wind, cloud, will never be too far away.

id like to think im not being overly negetive, but tbh i cant see anything on this mornings runs to give hope if its a settled, dry, sunny, warm spell youd like to see. subsequent runs might return a stronger azh ridge, but until theres support from other data, or/and its within a very reliable timeframe , is suggest not getting hopes up to much.

I don't think you will be that unpopular! The charts are showing a rather more unsettled picture this morning and cannot be ruled out as a solution.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

sorry guys, i didnt see all of last nights runs, but this morning i see nothing to be optimistic about, with regards to 'summerlike' weather. previous runs might have suggested the azh to ridge in and settle things down, but this morning its back to having them collapse before more atlantic systems push in.

these charts are typical of the whole run, showing a trough/ridge regime with frontal zones. cooler after the cold front, milder muggy but largely cloudy warm sectors.

Posted Imagetest8.gif

which have been broadly similar for several runs now, it would suggest that runs showing the azh ridging in were unlikely to happen, and the rather miserable runs this morning are closer to whats generally expected over the next two weeks or so..

so august from now into the mid month period, going off this mornings runs, is looking distinctly average, even below average at times. true, there will be some nicer days with pleasant sun, but rain, wind, cloud, will never be too far away.

id like to think im not being overly negetive, but tbh i cant see anything on this mornings runs to give hope if its a settled, dry, sunny, warm spell youd like to see. subsequent runs might return a stronger azh ridge, but until theres support from other data, or/and its within a very reliable timeframe , is suggest not getting hopes up to much.

Mushy, I don't think youre wrong in your post. Gfs was to progressive as I thought it was with that azores high, ecm has been the better model in the last few days. I don't think we will be talking much about the azores high in the near future!  Looks to be unsettled or changeable at best, and some fairly cool air arriving at the end of the week if models are correct!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Imagetest8.gif

Good post Mushy and nothing more to add really, other than there should be no need to feel guilty for posting what the models actually show.

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 2

Posted

Mushy, I don't think youre wrong in your post. Gfs was to progressive as I thought it was with that azores high, ecm has been the better model in the last few days. I don't think we will be talking much about the azores high in the near future!  Looks to be unsettled or changeable at best, and some fairly cool air arriving at the end of the week if models are correct!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Has the ECM been better? Where are those deep lows which were predicted to crash through us in the coming week according to the ECM a couple of days back? Posted Image

GFS has been less keen to drag us into the really cool and mobile weather and to be honest the other models have backtracked from the truly awful stuff.

GFS still going for a very usable weekend whilst the others show cooler but still not too bad for most of the UK.

It does look like the Azores high will retreat westwards but given it's beyond day 6/7, normal doubts apply.

BTW Mushy, nothing wrong with your posts, the ECM made me want to have another half hour in bed Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

I thought mushy's post of what the 006z runs are showing just now, along with his reading of the anomoly charts was a  very fair summary, and yes ECM 006z certainly didn't make pleasant reading for summer preferrers.

But I have to say as well that Tamara seems to me to be absolutely right to apply caution (FI caution!) about what may actually happen beyond the coming weekend. Some runs (individual ones, at that) can be just as over-progressive about removing any HP influence and firing up the Atlantic, as others can be to over-emphasising ridging.

I see that mushy and john are both pointing to the anomoly charts to predict more in the way of upper trough trend than an upper ridge one from those signals, and their reasoning makes plenty of sense, but all the same we may end up with more of a NW/SE divide (or a N/S one) in reality, than looks likely just now.

I admit there's some speculation (even hopecasting!) in my post, but let's see.

Edited by William of Walworth
  • Like 1