Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 31st July onwards 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Storm moving in now....:yahoo:

Lightning every minute or so, decent thunder too. Moderate rain at the moment.

Edited by Harry

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Had a fantastic storm around midnight was in bthrm missed the start! it was the best night storm so far, strong gusts torrential rain, fast moving clouds, inbetween star skies. Really is an amazing summer, this is like days and nights of the 80s and 90s.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Any headed towards London? Amazing bright blue in the storm earlier.

Posted

Any headed towards London? Amazing bright blue in the storm earlier.

Doesn't look like it mate. Though I wasn't expecting any thunder activity tonight tbh, let alone 4 hours worth of thunderstorm activity!I'm going to have to retire as I'm knackered! While I'm getting flashes, some still quite near, majority of the activity seems to have moved a bit further East.What a fantastic couple of weeks :D

Posted

Had a fantastic storm around midnight was in bthrm missed the start! it was the best night storm so far, strong gusts torrential rain, fast moving clouds, inbetween star skies. Really is an amazing summer, this is like days and nights of the 80s and 90s.

I must live on another planet as this year has been dreadful as far as where I am is concerned, every time I look at the radars the storms are either Bristol area or London. We had one storm last week with the odd flash but even that was some distance away.

Doesn't look like it mate. Though I wasn't expecting any thunder activity tonight tbh, let alone 4 hours worth of thunderstorm activity!I'm going to have to retire as I'm knackered! While I'm getting flashes, some still quite near, majority of the activity seems to have moved a bit further East.What a fantastic couple of weeks :D

Lol you said that four hours ago...lol..zzz sorry :) 8am still on standby...one more'll do hehe..Nite nite all, been fun! More later. Edited by triple_x1

Posted

Anything about?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Looks like a good time was had by most in the last 24hrs :D  Now all we need over here is something at night.....

Posted

Everything fizzled out as it moved towards the NW. I thing western parts of NW England and N Wales are one of the few places that haven't had any direct hits from storms this summer now. Looks like tomorrow maybe my next chance.

Sounds like London had a great time last night with the lightning. Show us your pics/vids! :D

Edited by Darren Bown

Guest William Grimsley

At Newton Poppleford Weather, a rainfall rate of 117.6 mm/hr was recorded 02/08/2013 21:14 and 2.2 mm of rainfall fell from the thunderstorm yesterday that crossed over East Devon! It was spectacular watching it in the distance over E Dartmoor before it came over Newton Poppleford! There were some really good fork and sheet lightning strikes and some really good rumbles of thunder! :D

Posted

Everything fizzled out as it moved towards the NW. I thing western parts of NW England and N Wales are one of the few places that haven't had any direct hits from storms this summer now. Looks like tomorrow maybe my next chance.Sounds like London had a great time last night with the lightning. Show us your pics/vids! :D

Not quite correct because a cell exploded just to the west of here about midnight. Not sure what triggered but it didn't have explode as can see on the radar loop. Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

The pit is currently recovering from a overhead storm lol. Hope the poor soul gets one

Went to bed. Lightning over the south west transferred quickly to the South East, East Sheffield surviving the shield for about ten minutes before being shredded into submission. The demise was quite surprising as there was a lot of lightning at first then it was like flicking a switch. Not sure it can be classed as a storm perhaps a decaying storm or just a Thundery shower.

Only brief bit of rain with te shower/decaying storm more heavier rain later but no lightning.

At least I've seen some close lightning well around just within two miles anyway.

Posted

Not quite correct because a cell exploded just to the west of here about midnight. Not sure what triggered but it didn't have explode as can see on the radar loop.

I see what you mean, flew up east of me, produced a couple of sferics. Couldn't have been too much though as I didn't see anything through the window. Still awaiting that direct hit though. Been tantalisingly close! Things often form around here to then push off and produce great shows elsewhere, such as yesterday when the Darwen area saw some good storms from showers that formed here and just to the south (WA3) Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Looks like a good time was had by most in the last 24hrs Posted Image  Now all we need over here is something at night.....

I'm in minority this time....not a sausage, not even a drop of rain....still can't grumble, we had 6 storms last tuesday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I see what you mean, flew up east of me, produced a couple of sferics. Couldn't have been too much though as I didn't see anything through the window. Still awaiting that direct hit though. Been tantalisingly close! Things often form around here to then push off and produce great shows elsewhere, such as yesterday when the Darwen area saw some good storms from showers that formed here and just to the south (WA3)

Was woken up by a decent storm during the early hours.Not much rain but plenty of lightening and loud thunder and the lot carried on for about 30 minutes.It's certainly been a decent spell for T storms here and only adds to what is becoming an excellent summer weatherwise.

Posted

I see what you mean, flew up east of me, produced a couple of sferics. Couldn't have been too much though as I didn't see anything through the window. Still awaiting that direct hit though. Been tantalisingly close! Things often form around here to then push off and produce great shows elsewhere, such as yesterday when the Darwen area saw some good storms from showers that formed here and just to the south (WA3)

Yes i saw that just after midnight, three or four pinky blue flashes to the north east, but that was it, went to bed as I new anything coming  up from the southwest would die before it even gets to cheshire,  Only one half baked overhead storm here this year, early morning about two weeks ago. This summer is the worst I can remember, yet manchester just a few miles away have  done better

dont normally chase storms in the car, because the cost of fuel and they are usually a bust , but I am so storm starved I drove over to the pennines last night about 900pm on the m62 came off at saddlworth and watched a bit of cloud to cloud forked lightning at dusk over saddlworth moorPosted Image  , very eerie,  

during the week I drove to north of bury ,but risked getting stuck in rushhour traffic on the way back, caught a bit of a storm there,  Staying in storm void wigan will not get anything, today will be the same, so might try to get a drive if i get some time later (probably somwehere east of here again ,

Edited by IanR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All Weather

I'm in minority this time....not a sausage, not even a drop of rain....still can't grumble, we had 6 storms last tuesday!

Tell me about it mate! With one distant storm so far this year that I don't even thing would get me out of the NSC, then yesterday morning with storms raging in the south east then storms breaking out in the south west. We didn't even catch a dribble of rain and I think I managed to spot one lonely flicker on the horizon from the cells near Exeter.

Posted

Everything fizzled out as it moved towards the NW. I thing western parts of NW England and N Wales are one of the few places that haven't had any direct hits from storms this summer now. Looks like tomorrow maybe my next chance.

Sounds like London had a great time last night with the lightning. Show us your pics/vids! Posted Image

I know what you mean.  Storms tend to make my anxious but I find them interesting, and I've seen very little lightning around our area.  Yesterday's storm "edged us" and produced some rumbles in the Adlington area before heading NE.  Work in Manchester, and there was a huge storm there on Monday- several buildings were zapped.  (By the way, I grew up in Daisy Hill.)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The storms gave a tornado and golf ball sized hail, I have seen a picture of the hail on a private Facebook account, the picture will surface fully later no doubt LOL .http://www.iwradio.c...e-isle-of-wight

More http://www.iwcp.co.u...land-50434.aspx

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

The storms gave a tornado and golf ball sized hail, I have seen a picture of the hail on a private Facebook account, the picture will surface fully later no doubt LOL .http://www.iwradio.c...e-isle-of-wight

More http://www.iwcp.co.u...land-50434.aspx

When will they learn that they aint no such thing as a 'mini tornado'..!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

While there were'nt any storms here I did see some faint flashes around last night which was obviously from the storms that some of the people in this thread had.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Awesome storm, though NOT overhead

Did you guys n girls see the cloud structure underneath that storm? It was like something in the states, I was waiting for a tornado lol. Then that squall that came through blasting the rain against the window, the lightning was also impressive. It was just a shame it never came over.

1) Why was it not forecasted?

2) Why was it as strong as it was? When the conditions according to some didn't really favour of that intensity

3) What was with the intense squall?

4) Why did hardly anyone pick up on the strong indications of storms with such a flood of altocumulus that come up from the south west?

Shame I didn't have my cam :(

Posted

There were no storms over Belper and there has only been one this summer. Sometimes the only way to see multiple storms over a summer is to chase.

If you are going to chase though then you need recent radar and internet on the move. Chasing blind is almost impossible unless its night and you can see the lightning from a distance away. Also have a satnav or a map so you can know the quickest way to get into position for storm interception.

Avoid cities and towns during rush hour. If you are chasing through a town or city the storm will almost certainly be moving faster than you.

There is no avoiding petrol costs though; although its up to you how far you are willing to travel. My storm chase fund is running low now after the past 3 weeks, so i'll be putting a limit on mileage for the rest of the season.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Okay i managed to edit this one to make it slightly clearerPosted Image IMG_20130803_001058.jpg

I saw something similar. Rubbish pic but the best I could do as the lightning lit up the sky

post-16115-0-39755700-1375522556_thumb.j