Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Galway Bay this afternoon

Posted Image

Fake??Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Fake??Posted Image

Yes it was confirmed/admitted as fake by the person who created it on photoshop. I cannot find the link but I definitely read it.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

How are there not more sferics showing up??? I've seen about 25-30 flashes in the past 15 minutes and the map is showing about 4...lol!

I saw this storm from my loft around 10.45 last night, clear sky and a few nice shooting stars too, this storm died about 7 miles from here, I heard thunder from it at 1am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Yes it was confirmed/admitted as fake by the person who created it on photoshop. I cannot find the link but I definitely read it.

Here it is..

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/galway-restaurant-owner-admits-tornado-pic-is-fake-29467677.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All Weather

There were no storms over Belper and there has only been one this summer. Sometimes the only way to see multiple storms over a summer is to chase.If you are going to chase though then you need recent radar and internet on the move. Chasing blind is almost impossible unless its night and you can see the lightning from a distance away. Also have a satnav or a map so you can know the quickest way to get into position for storm interception.Avoid cities and towns during rush hour. If you are chasing through a town or city the storm will almost certainly be moving faster than you.There is no avoiding petrol costs though; although its up to you how far you are willing to travel. My storm chase fund is running low now after the past 3 weeks, so i'll be putting a limit on mileage for the rest of the season.

I agree totally, a chase regularly but the majority or my potential storms come from across the channel and for sone reason this season once im in position they die over the water :-(I think im goinh to have start chasing further afield but like you say fuel costs are the limiting factor.Lets hope for some proper imports soon ;-)

Posted

Awesome storm, though NOT overhead

Did you guys n girls see the cloud structure underneath that storm? It was like something in the states, I was waiting for a tornado lol. Then that squall that came through blasting the rain against the window, the lightning was also impressive. It was just a shame it never came over.

1) Why was it not forecasted?

2) Why was it as strong as it was? When the conditions according to some didn't really favour of that intensity

3) What was with the intense squall?

4) Why did hardly anyone pick up on the strong indications of storms with such a flood of altocumulus that come up from the south west?

Shame I didn't have my cam Posted Image

Regarding points 1 and 4. You were under an Estofex level 1 warning with a SLGT risk of Severe Thunderstorms from Nick and I myself was harping on most of the day about the storm risk... or are you talking about the Met Office?

Regarding point 2, the conditions yesterday favored some very strong storms. Over 1000 j/kg CAPE, lots of DLS and Helicity along with good ELT's and an approaching cold front into a warm air mass. You don't get much better in the UK. 

Agreed though, for those that got them there were some very lively thunderstorms out there Posted Image

Edited by Supacell

Posted

I saw something similar. Rubbish pic but the best I could do as the lightning lit up the sky

image.jpg

hey, where abouts was that shot? that picture of mine was took at 21:18, i was gob smacked at how dark it was, only 4 minutes earlier on another picture i took it was still relativley light. im interested as to what it was becauae it seemed to be moving and changing in size constantly

Posted
  • Location: Telford, a small town near Shrewsbury, Shropshire!!
  • Location: Telford, a small town near Shrewsbury, Shropshire!!

We had possibly our best storm in the last ten years last night here in Telford, Shropshire. Such a beautiful spectacle. Would have been nice to be an hour later so the lightning lit up more, but the colours from the setting sun hitting the cloud where amazing. As for the shelf cloud (I assume that's what it is), I only ever see things like that on the Internet somewhere in America!

post-8077-0-11526800-1375526262_thumb.jp

Edited by matronshrew

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Actually had a thunderstorm (albeit very decayed) almost overhead last night.  Couldn't believe my eyes lol..  Still not an absolute direct hit though.  I'm very fussy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Im getting fed up of hearing other people get storms, north, south, east and west of me yet I get nothing time after time and when we do get something its small and piddly loses its energy over us and then regains its strength later. Definatley storm cursed!If I moved it would be the same storm also!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As expected, the lightning activity on the cells that came overhead at Sandhutton died out by the time they got here- but unexpectedly, the lightning persisted to within a few miles of here and I got a couple of captures of the lightning on video, so all in all quite a successful day of storm-watching despite nothing coming overhead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

We had possibly our best storm in the last ten years last night here in Telford, Shropshire. Such a beautiful spectacle. Would have been nice to be an hour later so the lightning lit up more, but the colours from the setting sun hitting the cloud where amazing. As for the shelf cloud (I assume that's what it is), I only ever see things like that on the Internet somewhere in America!

that is an amazing photo....I know it's probably an effect of the lighting, but that lightning strike seems to be almost in clear sky!

Posted

Okay, it's been some time coming, but I have now been able to cut down my footage from the early hours of the 23rd July near Melton Mowbray. The full video is nearly 90 minutes (18GB .avi file even after editing) so clearly had to massively cut it down to upload to You Tube. However, here is a 9 minute summary of that memorable night.

Edited by Supacell

that is an amazing photo....I know it's probably an effect of the lighting, but that lightning strike seems to be almost in clear sky!

Indeed. Ahead of the main 'event' there was some mammatus and lightning zipped across the heavens like you say..in what looked to be clear or just plain cloudy looking skies? Being mobile helped.. I saw this beast between Telford and Bridgnorth, heading south into the main core was in itself fun...opened the car window, the wind felt warm buffeting like crazy! One minute it was in the distance, next min wow...actually got as far as Bridgo..when all hell decided to break loose! massive raindrops, rain so heavy there was a fine mist just rising above the road ahead..now enveloped, turned back again, pulled over near a farm track and watched in awe...As already mentioned, the setting sun made for one amazing spectacle..this area to the left of the storm which was still firing on all cylinders :) I'd give it about 7 out of 10, extra point because of this sunset and storm combination?

Posted

Okay, it's been some time coming, but I have now been able to cut down my footage from the early hours of the 23rd July near Melton Mowbray. The full video is nearly 90 minutes (18GB .avi file even after editing) so clearly had to massively cut it down to upload to You Tube. However, here is a 9 minute summary of that memorable night.

great vid! im still watching but that strike at around 55 secs was beautiful!

Posted

Just arrived in Lake District for a week. I see there is a storm chance tonight. What a bonus as was treated to a spectacular show on Friday down in Suffolk!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

sferics now being detected from two cells in the west country...one cell near Wells, Somerset and another one cell near Chippenham heading for my location

Posted

and now a third just to the NW of Tiverton

Posted

Heavy shower just gone through here. No lightning but looks like there are a fair few strikes showing up in the "shower train" approaching from the south-west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Fake??Posted Image

Yup, 'tis a fake! Everyone can remove their "likes"Posted Image