Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted

Reading a few previous posts on mountain torque I think you will find with places

like the rockies or Andes for a positive mountain torque the high is to the west

of the mountains and low to the east(+PNA).

On the CDAS global plots for 30.50mb height anomaly levels you can see the wave

continue to increase. This can only be good news.

Posted

Well, looking at the negative MT event in 63, and the recent negative MT spike in NA, I present some reanalysis charts.  Posted Image

500mb is just for corresponding pattern. The MT itself seems to be calculated from SLP integral and topography gradient. I have just started to look into this, because I have in plan to actually plot MT forecasts from models. I just need to figure out the correct equation/formula and somehow script it into software. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

And I would not be surprised if you would find a similar pattern for a positive MT event in S. America. Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 3

Posted

Thanks to Lorenzo for reminding me about the vorticity. Posted Image

Not really of much use, but still, the 850K potential vorticity (~10mb) for the 1963 SSW. It doesn't look that pretty because of the low resolution (2.5°). These animations seem more useful as bundles of images, so you can pause on a certain date to see the plot on that day, rather than an animation sequence, because the images are on a 12h interval, because the file size would be really big if I would do the animation on 6h intervals. 

1963_850K_Potential vorticity

And the 6z GEFS 10mb ensemble mean at 384h. Max temp. at -36°C.

Posted Image

And all the same as above, only this is the CMC 00z ensemble mean. Max temp. -30°C.

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

Reading a few previous posts on mountain torque I think you will find with placeslike the rockies or Andes for a positive mountain torque the high is to the westof the mountains and low to the east(+PNA). 

High to the west and low to the east => negative mountain torque event. 

• Like 1

Posted

fi gfs strat output continues to be notable. the shape of the upper strat temp profile becoming very stretched and very cold on an axis not very familiar to me over winters past. seems that there is more oomph in the warming stateside than asian on the current modelling. the lower strat height pattern also showing a stretching vortex (on a siberian/canadian axis as per standard). things are affot - just not sure what the consequences might be. if that very cold stretched upper vortex was to split under the stress ................................

• Like 2

Posted

Disagree.

As someone in the learning process, I'm finding this quite confusing - you seem to be sure of the definition, can you point me towards some material that explains the preconditions for mountain torque.

Posted

Looking at historical Geopotential heights for Wave 2 episodes it struck me quite how strong the wave 2 amplification was in February of that dreaded winter of 88/89. Taking 10mb, 30mb and 100mb values it was certainly would appear to have upwelled rather than downwelled looking at the way above/below it responded (if that makes sense?). But such was the intensity of that notorious vortex it took wave after wave to disassemble and by which time of course the winter was all but over. Shocking stuff.I sorted the highest recorded wave 2 daily figures @ 10mb 60N and interestingly (to me at least) along with Feb 1989, the five other periods that pop up in the top 20 dates or so are all fairly well know cold Northern Hemisphere episodes. Why was 1989 stuck in there with the good ones? Is it more incidental (quite possible I guess) than for some tangible reason?Not really sure what my point is to be honest other than to ask what do people think 'went wrong' in 88/89?

Zonal wind speeds were at the highest (and very high indeed matched only by 1983) during the January of 1989 and the very strong Wave 2 activty followed shortly after zonal winds had peaked later on in January. But early that winter, November December, although fairly strong westerlies were present, zonal wind speeds appeared nothing out of the ordinary and Wave 2 attacks were also fairly prevalent late 1988 as well to boot.I'm not trying to draw comparisons with that horrific winter (hold back the lynch mob!) but more was drawn to that winter when delving deeper into the available Wave 2 data.

• Like 2

Posted

the gfs fi 10 hpa vortex temperature profiles which were looking very stretched have now tempered somewhat.  however, the model did pick up on the warmings at the top of the strat which ecm is now showing pre day 10. reflected in the increased wave 2 activity high up.  remembering that ecm eps suite now includes the area above 5hpa, any downwelling leading to a trop response within a fortnight should be visible on the extended output.   the mid strat vortex below looks pretty able to deal with this although quite a few gefs members are not showing a strong trop p/v in 2 weeks time.  at least we no longer have the disconnect between the necp and cmc ens which went to the top of the strat and the ecm ones which topped at 5hpa.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

More wobbles from the top on the 12Z:

post-4523-0-66569300-1387050870_thumb.pn

post-4523-0-95902600-1387050898_thumb.gi

Classic wave 2 activity starting to be predicted to affect the vortex now (right on cue) - but how far away is the performer from respinning....

• Like 5

Posted

As someone in the learning process, I'm finding this quite confusing - you seem to be sure of the definition, can you point me towards some material that explains the preconditions for mountain torque.

Sorry for the confusion. I must admit to being in the wrong. When the synoptics show a positive

PNA (pacific north America) pattern where there is high pressure in the east Pacific or far western

north America and low pressure further east I have always assumed it was a positive mountain

torque. My bad.

• Like 2