Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Monday's storm - into Europe.

Coast

Posted

I wonder could that of been from a sting jet? Otherwise some convective down-burst as quite an anomalous wind gust compared to the mean speed and wind gusts in the hours preceeding and after.

0300 Posted Image 14.6 °C SSW 38 mph 68 mph   N/A 987 hPa, Falling 0400 Posted Image 14.5 °C SSW 43 mph 66 mph   N/A 986 hPa, Falling 0500 Posted Image 15.2 °C SSW 38 mph 64 mph   N/A 984 hPa, Falling 0600 Posted Image 15.3 °C SSW 37 mph 63 mph   N/A 983 hPa, Falling 0700 Posted Image 13.9 °C WSW 47 mph 70 mph   N/A 984 hPa, Falling 0800 Posted Image 12.9 °C WSW 43 mph 82 mph   N/A 987 hPa, Rising 0900 Posted Image 13.7 °C WSW 29 mph 56 mph   N/A 990 hPa, Rising

Edited by Matty M

Posted

I saw Sky News interview of a group of swimmers who had a dip off Brighton whilst a few miles up the coast, a boy was swept out to sea and is missing.

Am I being too sensitive here? Was Sky News irresponsible and insensitive showing this interview? Were those swimmers irresponsible and insensitive considering what happened just up the coast?

Am I overreacting? Other opinions please.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Disregarding Needles, which is a non-standard exposure and therefore not comparable to other stations, the highest gust, according to the Met Office, was Langdon Bay, 82 mph.

Lets disregard anything that happened on IOW then shall we, after all we ARE in the sea :)

• Like 1

Posted

I saw Sky News interview of a group of swimmers who had a dip off Brighton whilst a few miles up the coast, a boy was swept out to sea and is missing. Am I being too sensitive here? Was Sky News irresponsible and insensitive showing this interview? Were those swimmers irresponsible and insensitive considering what happened just up the coast?Am I overreacting? Other opinions please.

Yes.No.No.Yes.
  • Like 1

Posted

Top 5 gusts at 09:00 GMT: Wattisham, Suffolk, 76mph; Walton-on-Naze, Essex, 63mph; Manston, Kent, 57mph, Langdon Bay, Kent, 56mph; Needles Old Battery, Isle of Wight, 55mph.

Walton-On-Naze hit 69.1. I was watching it since I got up as its the nearest to me.

http://www.waltonfrintonlifeboat.co.uk/live-weather

Posted

Lets disregard anything that happened on IOW then shall we, after all we ARE in the sea Posted Image

See discussion here on why Needles reports should really be taken with a large spoon of salt:

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/59584-needles-old-battery-lee-on-the-solent-weather-stations/

I am sure it was extremely windy on IOW nonetheless! 

Posted

I saw Sky News interview of a group of swimmers who had a dip off Brighton whilst a few miles up the coast, a boy was swept out to sea and is missing.Am I being too sensitive here? Was Sky News irresponsible and insensitive showing this interview? Were those swimmers irresponsible and insensitive considering what happened just up the coast?Am I overreacting? Other opinions please.

This was probably the same group of swimmers who go out every day and I'm sure they've endured worse conditions in the past - its what they do and good luck to them

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

See discussion here on why Needles reports should really be taken with a large spoon of salt:

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/59584-needles-old-battery-lee-on-the-solent-weather-stations/

I am sure it was extremely windy on IOW nonetheless! 

Yes i know..I completely understand where you are coming from, however the IOW was hit bad last night..and i was being a tad sarcastic..long nightshift so yeah sorry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

2nd person killed by the storm and a 14 year old lad remains missing at sea

A teenager in Kent and a man in Watford have been killed by falling trees as a storm batters parts of Britain.

Around 220,000 homes are without power, while rail services across much of southern Britain have been cancelled as high winds bought down trees.

Network Rail said the damage was "worse than expected," while 130 flights have been cancelled at Heathrow airport.

The Met Office said a gust of 99mph (159km/h) was recorded at Needles Old Battery, Isle of Wight, at 05:00 GMT.

A 17-year-old girl suffered fatal injuries when the tree came down where she was sleeping in Hever, Edenbridge, at about 07:20 GMT.

A man in 50s was pronounced dead at the scene after a tree crushed a red Peugot 307 at Lower High Street in Watford at 6:50 GMT. Next-of-kin have been informed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24699748

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I saw Sky News interview of a group of swimmers who had a dip off Brighton whilst a few miles up the coast, a boy was swept out to sea and is missing.Am I being too sensitive here? Was Sky News irresponsible and insensitive showing this interview? Were those swimmers irresponsible and insensitive considering what happened just up the coast?Am I overreacting? Other opinions please.

No

Yes

Big Yes

No

• Like 2

Posted

The Needles Old Battery is like having a recording station over the sea at an elevation. It is not representative of surface conditions and is totally exposed. This is widely known and has been discussed before.

Yeah I know/agree about the Needles station is extra exposed, though as you say it was a good blow even for some inland areas esp with trees in leaf. Yeovilton had 48mph gusting to 75mph, Lyneham 77mph, and Odiham and Andrewsfield both recorded a 79mph gust. These are true inland stations too.

I think the Met Office did a good job and weren't sucked in by low res GFS output, it was right to issue amber warnings (although perhaps extended a bit too far N/W, but the system could have been) imagine what would have been said if there were no warnings and then we got 80mph inland gusts with numerous trees down over tracks, roads, and the loss of life (which probably would have been greater).

I just don't understand why anyone would be swimming. (Watching the sea yes, there's a place good for watching the sea at home where the risk of trees falling on my car or me even being blown away will stop me before the sea ever reached there), but swimming, surely not?

Edited by Stormmad26
  • Like 1

Posted

Weather-history . I agree with you and as it is half term and children out and about without there parents, them seeing this I think is irresponsible. Why give kids the idea it is safe to do so when it clearly isn't?

• Like 3

Posted

Is there another storm coming this weekend ive read a few posts but not sure ?

Posted

A tad windy in the Netherlands now.

Vlieland (11 m) SPECI EHVL 280959Z AUTO 21057G75KT 3900 HZ SCT025 BKN029 OVC032 15/10 Q0978 GRN=

De Kooy (14 m) SPECI EHKD 280958Z AUTO 22046G72KT 5000 HZ FEW022 BKN026 BKN030 15/11 Q0981 WHT 20040G55KT 9999 SCT020 BKN030 TEMPO 22050G80KT=

Hoorn A Oilfield (41m above the surface so reading around 15% high) METAR EHQE 280955Z AUTO 22072G88KT 3900 HZ FEW020/// BKN024/// BKN029/// 14/10 Q////=

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Spare a thought for the passengers on 2 ferries that are stranded, moored at sea near Dover, too unsafe to attempt docking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24705734

Posted

Weather-history . I agree with you and as it is half term and children out and about without there parents, them seeing this I think is irresponsible. Why give kids the idea it is safe to do so when it clearly isn't?

Surfers go out in all weathers, me included though many years ago. I suppose they should stop when the waves are big in case school kids think it's safe to go in !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Completely agree with you on all accounts.

Absolutely irresponsible and moronic going swimming in these conditions. It should not have been aired in my opinion.

I'm shocked! 

• Like 4

Posted

Even closer than the IOW was getting a battering. I live a few miles from Yeovilton which recorded a gust of 77mph and I can confirm the winds were incredibly strong. I've just been outside fixing guttering and air vents that had got blown out, trying to salvage the parts of my gas bbq strewn across the lawn, locating my anemometer that got ripped from the shed roof and failing to find part of the shed roof- who knows where that ended up. The noise from the wind at about 4:30 woke me- it was so loud! But the worst only lasted for maybe 4 or 5 minutes with the very very worst probably less than a minute.

Highest gusts so far is just under 100mph

Gusts of 99mph have been recorded at the Needles on the Isle of Wight, according to the Met Office, while the Environment Agency has put in place 16 flood warnings and 133 flood alerts.

Winds have topped 80mph along southern coastal areas, becoming turbulent inland also reaching 75mph in Yeovilton in Somerset and 79mph at Andrewsfield in Essex.

And we can now see why trains got cancelled yesterday

http://media.skynews.com/media/images/generated/2013/10/28/267313/default/v2/tree-on-train-lines-1-522x293.jpg

Teenage girl dies in Kent;

Posted Image

2nd person killed by the storm and a 14 year old lad remains missing at sea

A teenager in Kent and a man in Watford have been killed by falling trees as a storm batters parts of Britain.

Around 220,000 homes are without power, while rail services across much of southern Britain have been cancelled as high winds bought down trees.

Network Rail said the damage was "worse than expected," while 130 flights have been cancelled at Heathrow airport.

The Met Office said a gust of 99mph (159km/h) was recorded at Needles Old Battery, Isle of Wight, at 05:00 GMT.

A 17-year-old girl suffered fatal injuries when the tree came down where she was sleeping in Hever, Edenbridge, at about 07:20 GMT.

A man in 50s was pronounced dead at the scene after a tree crushed a red Peugot 307 at Lower High Street in Watford at 6:50 GMT. Next-of-kin have been informed.

"a non-event" "a downgrade" "over-hyped"........

really?......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24701419

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 2

Posted

bbc just shown another low pressure approaching Wed into Thursday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

I don't know any Danish but I think you can glean the message, as the low from UK is deepening and heading Denmark's way

the red circles are flashing

Edited by Jo Farrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I don't know any Danish but I think you can glean the message, as the low from UK is deepening and heading Denmark's way

the red circles are flashing

Roughly translated Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 2