Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Monday's storm - into Europe.

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windstorm, Thunderstorm, Heavy Squally, Blustery Winds

I don't think that the stronger winds could even be possible to looked forward at the next weekend just maybe weak than 70-80mph, is not a hurricane but this is proper a hurricane.

I guess you are on about this weekend coming? Is it looking stronger wind wise (stupid question this early I guess) ? I guess it'll be another week of sitting glued to this site.

Posted

I think this station is on one of the coastal islands of the Netherlands - just recorded force 12 mean wind speed:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?R=310&ART=wind&WMO=06242&LANG=en&LEVEL=140&SI=mph&CEL=C

Very nearly us.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

They have just said that the The Dungeness B nuclear power station in Kent has restarted its reactors using diesel generators after they were automatically shut down earlier due to a power cut.

Now might be the time to remind people that those stupid solar panels they installed would also have cut out due to an interruption in power supply - it's to prevent fires. Bet the salesman didn't tell you about that.

Posted

I think this station is on one of the coastal islands of the Netherlands - just recorded force 12 mean wind speed:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?R=310&ART=wind&WMO=06242&LANG=en&LEVEL=140&SI=mph&CEL=C

Very nearly us.

SPECI EHVL 281117Z AUTO 26068G82KT 1500 -DZ FEW005 SCT010           BKN013 13/11 Q0981 REDZ AMB=

Posted

I don't think that the stronger winds could even be possible to looked forward at the next weekend just maybe weak than 70-80mph, is not a hurricane but this is proper a hurricane. 

There is no hurricane, except off the coast of Mexico. There were hurricane-force gusts, but mean speeds were well below hurricane-force.

A hurricane is a totally different type of storm, totally unrelated to this one. 

Posted

It wasn't a hurricane, never mind a proper one. Weren't you told to stop posting similar stuff the other night?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I don't know any Danish but I think you can glean the message, as the low from UK is deepening and heading Denmark's way

the red circles are flashing

The first red circle says

DMI alert elevated water levels at the west coast

The 2nd says

DMI alert storm

The 3rd line with no circle reads

Storm Low pressure passing Denmark, many places with gusts of hurricane strength

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

This Storm was Awful here, Awful in the way that hardly any wind hit, however now a river near me is under a flood warning, so yeah i suppose it was a storm but without the wind here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

???

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

One or two mutterings at work about none storm. Luckily not in the office much today so won't get much abuse. Steady muttering on Sheffield Forum about the met office getting it wrong.

However what is interesting is a report of possible tornado http://bit.ly/1hm4lX4

Posted

I thought the guy on radio 4 this morning made a brilliant comment, along the lines of leaves on the line are a lot harder to deal with when still connected to the tree!Posted Image

I think that has to be one of the funniest lines I have seen

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

problem is though, when they get into trouble, its the rescuers who then have to risk their lives in those conditions.

is the risk acceptable then?

I don't think the answer to that question is clear-cut- it depends on the statistical likelihood of them getting into trouble, given the conditions and their level of expertise, and how large a risk has to be before we consider it to be irresponsible.

Someone getting killed a few miles away is just one case and doesn't, in itself, give much information about the probabilities.  The surfers could be taking a 1 in 100 risk, which I would certainly see as unacceptably large, but then again they could be taking a 1 in 10,000 risk (which is not far above the risk of dying in a road accident) and the person who died could just have been very unlucky, or inexperienced/naive.  Until I have the stats at hand I don't feel it is fair to pass too strong a judgement.

The storm has been a non-event up here but I never expected any other outcome really- on my Facebook updates I made it very clear to others that I expected this to be a "south of England" event.  Most forecasting agencies including the Met Office also emphasised this but it seems that some of the general public got the wrong message, not helped by certain outlets issuing sensationalist stories about it.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Heavy rain now and wind picking up. What's going on thought it would clear through by now

Posted

I first found y'all on Saturday afternoon and have spent far too many hours reading and learning. So much I do not understand, and a massive amount of information from people who are happy to share their knowledge and figures, I am truly hooked, but could there be a p*llock button situated next to the Like This button for some of the inane and useless stuff that people have crawled out of the woodwork to post, the poor Mods really had their work cut out.

Sorry if this is an inane comment too, but genuinely a big thanks to all you regulars.

• Like 3

Posted

Amber warnings for the UK were cancelled at 10:22 this morning

Issued at: 1022 on Mon 28 Oct 2013

Valid from: 0005 on Mon 28 Oct 2013

Valid to: 1200 on Mon 28 Oct 2013

The Amber warning for wind is now cancelled as the damaging severe gales have now eased.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

The vigorous low pressure area that caused the widespread severe gales across southern Britain earlier today has now moved out into the North Sea taking the strongest of the winds away with it.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=uk&fcTime=1382918400

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Now that the storm has passed is it time to close this thread?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Max wind gusts in the Netherlands.

I wouldn't fancy landing at Schiphol today, that's for sure!! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I don't think the answer to that question is clear-cut- it depends on the statistical likelihood of them getting into trouble, given the conditions and their level of expertise, and how large a risk has to be before we consider it to be irresponsible.

Someone getting killed a few miles away is just one case and doesn't, in itself, give much information about the probabilities.  The surfers could be taking a 1 in 100 risk, which I would certainly see as unacceptably large, but then again they could be taking a 1 in 10,000 risk (which is not far above the risk of dying in a road accident) and the person who died could just have been very unlucky, or inexperienced/naive.  Until I have the stats at hand I don't feel it is fair to pass too strong a judgement.

The storm has been a non-event up here but I never expected any other outcome really- on my Facebook updates I made it very clear to others that I expected this to be a "south of England" event.  Most forecasting agencies including the Met Office also emphasised this but it seems that some of the general public got the wrong message, not helped by certain outlets issuing sensationalist stories about it.

The problem you have , when people go swimming or surfing in some of the worst storm conditions in years, or when they have Hurricane parties on the beach in other parts of the world then its left to some poor sod that has to rescue them.

Now if they signed a note '''''I'm stupid I want to go into the sea with 80mph winds if I get into difficulty please don't bother trying to rescue me''''' all well and good.

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

This thread should be shut down now.

Why?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Now might be the time to remind people that those stupid solar panels they installed would also have cut out due to an interruption in power supply - it's to prevent fires. Bet the salesman didn't tell you about that.

It stops them generating power and energizing downed lines that are being worked on.

• Like 2

Posted

Search for boy off Newhaven's West Beach called off

Coastguards will not resume a search for a schoolboy swept away from an East Sussex beach. The 14-year-old Dylan Alkins had been swimming with friends off Newhaven's West Beach on Sunday when police said he was "swept away by the current". Coastguards said they would not restart the search for the boy unless they received new information from police. A spokesman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said the "matter was now a police one". The Newhaven RNLI lifeboat and a coastguard helicopter took part in the search in "atrocious conditions". A lifeboat crew member suffered bruising and the boat itself was damaged by large waves during the operation on Sunday. Alan Novis, press officer for the Newhaven lifeboat, said the crew "battled some very challenging conditions, doing everything possible with our coastguard colleagues on the beaches and in the air to try and locate the missing boy". He added it was a "very distressing incident" and the crew's thoughts were with the boy's family at this time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-24700017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Yes.No.No.Yes.

(answers were to say how fine it was that Sky showed people swimming off Brighton coast)

Sky show people endangering their lives when someone died doing the same and you think it's absolutely fine? Just what does it take to get danger through to these people.......

Given the quarter of a milion with power cuts, trees down over many railway lines and roads I hope that people who were making jokes last night are at least a little embarrassed now.

Edited by ukpaul