Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Monday's storm - into Europe.

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Im sorry but I disagree, if you are going to have a go at the Express for calling it a super storm, surely the BBC headline of 90mph to hit heathrow would imply a super storm, 90mph is nearly hurricane force, I think people let their political views dictate their biases in this in my opinion.

It was Sky reporting the 90mph nonsense I think.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

It was not a "Super Storm" end of just as a small tornado is not a "mini tornado"

You can't win on this forum some times, geesh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Anyway its all over now, at least it was a stop gap to pass some time while we wait for some better model output, be that stratospheric or tropospheric, this was the best thread for pure entertainment that there has ever been on Netweather, although I wasn't on here in feb 09 or Jan 10.

It was Sky reporting the 90mph nonsense I think.

Are you sure? if so then I stand corrected, I am not a big fan of the BBC usually and prefer sky for most things but I have to say BBC News 24 is equally as good as sky News.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Im sorry but I disagree, if you are going to have a go at the Express for calling it a super storm, surely the BBC headline of 90mph to hit heathrow would imply a super storm, 90mph is nearly hurricane force, I think people let their political views dictate their biases in this in my opinion.

I thought it was sky that said that, maybe they both did, I really don't remember as I didn't pay attention to any of that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Anyway its all over now, at least it was a stop gap to pass some time while we wait for some better model output, be that stratospheric or tropospheric, this was the best thread for pure entertainment that there has ever been on Netweather, although I wasn't on here in feb 09 or Jan 10.

Are you sure? if so then I stand corrected, I am not a big fan of the BBC usually and prefer sky for most things but I have to say BBC News 24 is equally as good as sky News.

Yeah I was up until 2am last night flicking between BBC and Sky. Sky were going for a far more sensationalist approach.

• Like 1

Posted

Feb

Again interpretation of how they have digested the information from the met office and importantly not the bbc

Posted

I don't think that the stronger winds could even be possible to looked forward at the next weekend just maybe weak than 70-80mph, is not a hurricane but this is proper a hurricane.

This is a proper hurricane and if we ever got winds like that here.....:o

Posted

Feb

Again interpretation of how they have digested the information from the met office and importantly not the bbc

What I don't understand is how the BBC forecasters work for the Met Office yet the PPN charts and weather charts differ, anyway that's the last off topic post from me else I will be collared!!

Posted

This is a proper hurricane and if we ever got winds like that here.....Posted Image

I wouldn't mind as long as snow was associated with the low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

well, you can't really define the "reckless category" by wind speeds or similar factors. its reached when someone's actions are likely to endanger other people.

I don't think that refutes my point- surely winds speeds and similar factors determine whether or not someone's actions are "likely" to endanger other people?  One could apply the same arguments to a minor bout of windy weather with winds falling short of gale force, as well as a storm like today's, as both involve above-average risk (but to differing extents)- that's why I see it as a sliding scale.

Posted

I think TAF of the week goes to the Westerland/Lyst airport in far northern Germany. At just 16 m amsl it's still on for gusts of 85 knots (99 mph) later. 

TAF EDXW 281100Z 2812/2819 19025G50KT 9999 BKN020         TEMPO 2812/2814 20035G65KT         TEMPO 2814/2818 20050G85KT=
  • Like 1

Posted

Also, no one seems to be having a go at the Telegraph for calling it as measuring 12 on the richter scale.

• Like 4

Posted

The intense storm, one of the worst to hit Britain for a decade, swept in overnight, causing a chaotic start to the working week, leaving roads impassable because of fallen trees and disrupting rush-hour rail services.

UK Power Networks said 220,000 homes were without power as the storm cut a devastating path through southern counties in the early hours of Monday before hitting London and East Anglia with greater severity than anticipated. Tracy Elsey, communications manager for UK Power Networks, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "We have still got about 40,000 people off in the south-east, which is our region which runs from Brighton up to Kent. "In our east of England region, which goes from Essex up to the north Norfolk coast, we have seen a huge rise in reported power cuts. We have got 100,000 properties off power in the east."

Scottish and Southern Energy said more than 38,000 customers were without power in Cornwall, Devon and Somerset, while Western Power reported more than 3,800 power cuts in the same areas.

Most rail companies in the south of England suspended early morning services, with many trains not running until well after 9am so that Network Rail staff could check the tracks were safe. Greater Anglia said it would not be running any trains until midday and could not provide alternative road transport. The west coast, east coast and Midland mainlines were all blocked at their southern ends, while services into London south of the Thames were gradually resuming.

About 130 flights were cancelled at Heathrow airport, and the port of Dover was closed for nearly three hours. The Environment Agency has issued 17 flood warnings, 15 in the south-west, and 141 flood alerts for the rest of England and Wales.

In Kent, the Dungeness nuclear power station partially shut down after the storm caused power outages, said EDF Energy. In a statement on its website, EDF said two units at the plant shut down at 7.44am. "The shutdown was weather-related. The plant reacted as it should and shut down safely," a spokeswoman said.

On the roads, both Severn bridges, the Queen Elizabeth II bridge on the M25 and the A249 Sheppey crossing in Kent were closed. The M11 was closed southbound near Harlow, in Essex, by an overturned lorry and there was congestion around the Blackwall tunnel in London because of fallen scaffolding. There were also widespread reports of local roads in Cornwall, Dorset, Hampshire and Sussex blocked or closed as a result of fallen trees and flash flooding.

A police car was damaged by a falling tree on the B2104 in Sussex, officers said, and a vehicle hit a fallen tree in Langney Rise, Eastbourne. The driver was uninjured, police said. By 6.30am there were reports of 125 trees down across Sussex, while Kent police said 70 trees had come down in the county. Police in Hampshire warned motorists not to travel unless necessary.

Whitehall in central London was closed due to a collapsed crane near the Cabinet Office. Staff were evacuated and the deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg, had to cancel a press conference. Forty homes were evacuated in Reading, Berkshire, after a fallen tree caused a gas leak, and firefighters were in attendance at a house in Hounslow, west London, dealing with a gas explosion caused by the storm.

Train companies in the south were running either amended services or no service at all before 9am. Southeastern, South West Trains, Southern and Greater Anglia were all telling commuters to check before trying to travel and warning there would be amended timetables and significant disruption. There were no trains between Peterborough and London King's Cross on the east coast mainline and services to Euston and St Pancras were also at a standstill. Several hundred Network Rail staff worked through the night to deal with disruption caused by the severe weather, with more than 100 trees reported to have fallen onto tracks. Special trains were used to clear tracks, the director of operations, Robin Gisby, said. "In four cases the train being sent through to inspect the line has hit a fallen tree and we have one train in Devon which is currently disabled following a collision with a fallen tree. We are also dealing with a landslip in the New Forest area.

"While conditions were as forecast during the early part of the morning, the damage caused by the storm has been more severe than expected as it has tracked eastwards to the north of London and across to East Anglia. "As a result, the west coast, east coast and Midland mainlines are all currently blocked at their southern ends as a result of fallen trees and damage to power lines and all services are currently suspended on the Anglia route, where the storm is currently."

On the London Underground, only three lines – Victoria, Hammersmith & City and Waterloo & City – were operating normally through the morning rush hour. There were no trains at all on the Overground, while the Bakerloo, Central, District, Jubilee, Metropolitan, Northern and Piccadilly lines were all partially closed while workers removed fallen trees and other obstructions. Severe disruption was reported at London City, Stansted and Gatwick airports. Gatwick Express and Stansted Express rail services were not running. Ferry journeys were also being disrupted, with P&O Condor, DFDS Seaways and Hovertravel all reporting cancellations.

Posted Image

A collapsed crane on the roof of the Cabinet Office on Whitehall, central London. 

Posted Image

Collapsed scaffolding blocks a road in Leyton, east London

Posted Image

Waves crash against a lighthouse in Newhaven in East Sussex, where a 14-year-old boy was swept out to sea as a storm battered the southern UK

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/28/britain-storm-winds-death-flooding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I live in Exeter Devon and I know the storm was down graded for us and that south east were hit a little harder and more so mainland Europe....But I would like to say that i thought the met office did a good job but can I say that the media are a disgrace for going OTT on the reporting!  I've had messages from friends in Australia and American asking if I was ok.....This was just a slightly stronger gale than usual for heavens sake and no where near the intensity of the storm of 1990 (which hit the southwest hardest)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Haven't been able to post anything about this storm recently as the power came off at around 3:00AM last night. I was up all night and I actually could see the power pole lighting up the sky as it was exploading.

I got a max gust of 58mph on the roof of our house after around 5:00AM which far exceeded my previous record of only 45mph!

Woke up to find a large branch of an ash tree in our garden broken off and a few more were broken off from trees further away from the house.

Posted

It looks like that sustained hurricane-force wind at Westerland Airport in northern Germany could be a sting jet. It was only briefly at sustained 64 knots, then back down to 39 knots 30 mins later.

METAR COR EDXW 281250Z 21044G63KT 3900 BR VV/// 14/10 Q0974=
METAR COR EDXW 281320Z 21034G49KT 2900 BR VV/// 13/11 Q0972=
METAR COR EDXW 281350Z 25064G76KT 2700 // VV/// 11/09 Q0974 AD CLSD=
METAR EDXW 281420Z AUTO 26039G54KT 4300NDV ////// 12/09 Q0979 AD CLSD=

The airmass RGB for 1400Z shows a dry slot right at the tip of the occlusion, so was it a sting jet?

post-18939-0-45812000-1382972829_thumb.p.

Edited by Su Campu
  • Like 1

Posted

Erm! 90mph is OVER Hurricane force!

Hurricane force is 74mph +...

Posted

Winds in denmark are gusting 130mph..... Just been watching danish news..... This this bottomed out over the north sea..... My brothers neighbours just lost his roof....was on skype to him..... Lots of houses in west of denmark have lost walls and their rooves....jeez.... Denmarks taken the brunt of this low pressure....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The Eastern Yar catchment area had 48mm rain during the storm, some low lying areas of the Eastern Isle of Wight are now looking at rising flood water.

99mph seems the upper limit this morning. I notice the isobars are tighter than ours last night around the Low countries right now http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?lang=en&map=eur_full&area=eur&size=large  Good luck to those who are there ....

Winds in denmark are gusting 130mph..... Just been watching danish news..... This this bottomed out over the north sea..... My brothers neighbours just lost his roof....was on skype to him..... Lots of houses in west of denmark have lost walls and their rooves....jeez.... Denmarks taken the brunt of this low pressure....

Lol great minds...

Posted

Hurricane-force storm crossing Denmark

Traffic chaos expected as the worst storm in ten years barrels across Denmark this afternoon and evening The high winds that battered the UK are expected to bring a storm surge of at least three meters along the Danish west coast  A hurricane-force storm crossing Denmark from the west has led the weather agency DMI to issue a storm warning for dangerous and unusual weather conditions.

Winds gusting at over 90 kmh are currently blowing across the country – with the exception of northern Jutland – bringing a 3.5 metre storm surge along the west coast and widespread traffic disruption. The storm is the result of a deep area of low pressure that passed across southern England last night and earlier today, bringing down trees at claiming the lives of at least two people.

Worst storm in a decade

The low pressure is currently passing across northern Denmark, bringing strong westerly winds across most of the country that are expected to intensify as the day goes on. Hurricane force winds of over 120 kmh are expected from mid-afternoon in western Denmark and are anticipated to hit Copenhagen around 7pm. “The wind will be hurricane force and the most powerful storm in Denmark for the past ten years,†DMI spokesperson Thye Rasmussen told Jyllands-Posten newspaper.

Traffic chaos

The high winds will interrupt transport across the country this afternoon. A number of ferries have cancelled, including the fast ferry between Ystad and Rønne on Bornholm and the Mols-Linien ferry between Aarhus and Sjællands Odde. Two bridges – Storebæltsbroen and Øresundsbroen –  are expected to close later this afternoon once the wind exceeds 90 kmh. Both are already closed for wind-sensitive vehicles.

Slow trains

State rail operator DSB is standing by to deal with disruptions caused by the storm and have asked customers to stay updated with the latest news. They have already announced that S-trains running to Køge on the E line will be travelling at a slower speed. Copenhagen Airport stated that air traffic won’t be affected because the winds are not travelling across the landing strips.

http://cphpost.dk/national/hurricane-force-storm-crossing-denmark

• Like 1