Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Monday's storm - into Europe.

Coast

Posted

I think TAF of the week goes to the Westerland/Lyst airport in far northern Germany. At just 16 m amsl it's still on for gusts of 85 knots (99 mph) later. 

TAF EDXW 281100Z 2812/2819 19025G50KT 9999 BKN020         TEMPO 2812/2814 20035G65KT         TEMPO 2814/2818 20050G85KT=

that and the actual you show later does put the effects over England into perspective and the reports coming in of the storm affecting Denmark. We missed the worst but were probably rather lucky that surface and upper air did not interact quite as severely as predicted for this country. The 300mb winds are now higher again with the surface feature just on the cold side of the jet-so near, so lucky for this country I think?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Have just got online after faffing with mobile broadband and small laptop. Power out since about 8am. Several branches down in locality. Clear skies, hardly any rain after this morning's lot. We had some strong gusts up until about 9am,  that is when most of the branches seemed to finally fall, towards the end of the gusty period. Some stormy cells towards coast, saw some mammatus too on the back of one, some strong looking cumulus type in the distance but mostly blue sky with broken cloud. Nice to have sun, especially as we don't have power and are relying on daylight to last as long as possible before turning to torches and candles! Haven't had a chance to read or catch up on the threads at all yet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The BBC are reporting that 580,000 lost power during the storm

310,000 now have power again

270,000 homes are without power this afternoon

• Like 1

Posted
My brother said there is now way anyone in birkerod could drive as there are so many trees down.....they are asking that people only call emergency services in life threatning situations and not if you have lost roof tiles, trees down.....airport has delays now too.... Bridges all over denmark are closed.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

webcam in klitmoller (west side of northern denmark) - going dark so resolution not good

http://live.waves4you.de/ucam/index.html

• Like 1

Posted

My brother said there is now way anyone in birkerod could drive as there are so many trees down.....they are asking that people only call emergency services in life threatning situations and not if you have lost roof tiles, trees down.....airport has delays now too.... Bridges all over denmark are closed.....

DMI Varsel om storm

Udsendt d. 28. oktober 2013 11:43 lokal dansk tid

Der er varsel om storm for Midt- og Vestjylland, Østjylland, Syd- og Sønderjylland, Fyn, København og Nordsjælland, Vest- og Sydsjælland samt Lolland-Falster og Bornholm. I eftermiddag og aften forventes et stormvejr at ramme dele af landet med stormende kuling til storm, 20 til 25 m/s, ved Vadehavet op til stærk storm 30 m/s. Det kommer desuden kraftige vindstød af storm, stærk storm eller orkan styrke. Der er risiko for storm for i Nordjylland. Vinden forventes at aftage i løbet af i aften og i nat, først i den vestlige del af landet.

Posted Image

http://www.dmi.dk/en/vejr/tjenester/varsler/

There is notice of storm for Central and based on areas such as Midwest, South and Northeast, Fyn, Copenhagen and North Sealand, West and New Jersey and Lolland-Falster and Bornholm. In afternoon and evening a storm is expected to hit parts of the country with storming kuling to storm, 20 to 25 m/s, in the Wadden Sea up to strong storm 30 m/s. It is also powerful gusts of wind storm, strong storm or hurricane strength. There is a risk of storm in North Jutland.

30m/s = 67.1 mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Also, no one seems to be having a go at the Telegraph for calling it as measuring 12 on the richter scale.

Ah I emailed him and offered Netwx help

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

Also, no one seems to be having a go at the Telegraph for calling it as measuring 12 on the richter scale.

surely you mean the beaufort scale ?, Posted Image  the richter scale is for earthquake measurements.

Posted

so then max gusts 99mph iow..gusts of 60-70mph over a fair few locations..

all the action was really more or less south of the m4 corridor, 4 people were killed (5 inc kid in Newhaven), trees blocked roads, railways, a lot of folk no electricity,

the met office got it right, seeing as the tracking of it couldn't be pinned down really, prob affected a smaller area of uk than expected.

also this system was flagged up way before it even existed which is an impressive feat. Posted Image

Posted

The Daily ERRORGRAPH...Posted Image  how did that sneak past the sub editor, editor, or anyone ??.

Edited by chubbyfan

Posted

Pressure rose 5 hPa in 30 minutes at Tirstrup Airport in Denmark as the low passed just to the north.

METAR/SPECI from EKAH, Tirstrup (Denmark).

METAR EKAH 281650Z AUTO 26035G62KT 8000NDV -SHRA BKN007/// 11/08 Q0975=

METAR EKAH 281620Z AUTO 23018G34KT 190V270 9999NDV -SHRA BKN007/// 12/09 Q0970=

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Cant belive the bbc showing some guy with a fallen shrub in his garden , and a derailed train set !!!

As he said, "it could have been a tree.... in the kitchen!" 

• Like 1

Posted

Wow...Kegnaes in Denmark (16 m amsl)...73 gust 96 knots at 1400 Z! That was its last report, I assume the mast is somewhere in Latvia by now!

201310281400 AAXX 28144 06119 47418 72373 10122 20099 39748 49770 57059 76186

333 81/19 83/27 85/36 87/50 91096 91196=

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Storm death toll rises to 13 in Europe

The death toll from a severe storm that ripped across Britain and onto mainland Europe has risen to 13, with the UK and Germany hit the hardest. Hurricane-force gusts have knocked down trees, flooded low areas, left hundreds of thousands without power and snarled transportation networks across the region. UK officials reported at least five deaths. Four people were killed on Monday in Germany, adding to two deaths at sea off the German coast Sunday. Danish media says one man was killed by a flying brick just north of Copenhagen, and Amsterdam police said a woman there was killed by a falling tree. A major storm with hurricane-force gusts lashed southern Britain, the Netherlands, France and Germany on Monday, knocking down trees, flooding low areas and causing travel chaos. Seven deaths were reported. Weather forecasters say it was one of the worst storms to hit Britain in years. Gusts of 160 kph were reported on the Isle of Wight in southern England, while gusts up to 80 mph hit the UK mainland.UK Power Networks officials said up to 270,000 homes were without power. Flood alerts were issued for many parts of southern England and emergency officials said hundreds of trees were knocked down by gusts. London's Heathrow Airport, Europe's busiest, cancelled at least 130 flights and express trains between central London and Gatwick and Stansted airports were suspended. Huge waves prompted the major English port of Dover to close, cutting off ferry services to France. A nuclear power station in Kent, southern England, automatically shut its two reactors after storm debris reduced its incoming power supply. Officials at the Dungeness B plant said the reactors had shut down safely and would be brought back online once power was restored. In central London, a huge building crane near the prime minister's office crumpled in the gusts. Thousands of homes in northwestern France also lost electricity, while in the Netherlands several rail lines shut down, airport delays were reported. Dutch citizens were warned against riding their bicycles - a favoured form of transportation - because of the high winds, and Amsterdam's central railway station was shut down by storm damage.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/storm-death-toll-rises-to-13-in-europe-20131028-2wbti.html

Posted

Some peak gusts in northern Germany/Denmark:

108mph - Sankt Peter-Ording

105mph - Glücksburg

105mph - Kiel Lighthouse (just offshore from the city)

97mph - Sønderborg Airport

91mph - Odense

85mph - Roskilde (near Copenhagen)

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=windspitzen&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1382986800&KEY=euro&LAND=euro&CONT=euro&SORT=3&SI=mph&CEL=C&UD=0

Posted

Wow...Kegnaes in Denmark (16 m amsl)...73 gust 96 knots at 1400 Z! That was its last report, I assume the mast is somewhere in Latvia by now!201310281400 AAXX 28144 06119 47418 72373 10122 20099 39748 49770 57059 76186 333 81/19 83/27 85/36 87/50 91096 91196=

Some on the videos and photos of damage in denmark reminds me of 1987..... A new record windspeed for denmark.....lots of people stranded in kopenhagen city as no trains and roads are blocked.....

Posted

I think what gave this system its destructive edge in the southeast was that most trees are still in full leaf and fallen

trees were a major issue and caused terrible tragedy.

Meteorologic-ally the storm was not that severe. Recorded winds were not exceptional for an Autumn/Winter storm. If it occurred in December the outcome would have been much less damage.

The system rapidly intensified over southeast England just in time to cause some damage, and really intensified rapidly over the North sea, more than for example, the GFS had indicated. The winds experienced in Denmark/Holland were certainly not forecast adequately by this model.

Overall the UKM did well in forecasting the depression, it had the potential to be very destructive but the storm tracked further south and did not affect as many people as originally thought. I think this was clear upto 24 hours before the event and the forecasts should have been updated to reflect this, but they were not.

So i'd give the UKM 7/10. However the media were disgraceful, their coverage was absurd and it just shows the power of the media.

A similar storm could hit next week, cause the same damage and be the 5th news story of the day.

Edited by Matty M
  • Like 1