Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 28/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Wind seems to be picking up again, and it's peeing down and dark skies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Well I finally had a read of some charts not just looking for storms!

As we get into November GFS 00Z shows temperatures begining to drop with a consistent max of 7 or less kicking in from about +159 (FI I know!)

I am looking forward to end of the mild and the start of the 'hunt for snow!'

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Well I finally had a read of some charts not just looking for storms!

As we get into November GFS 00Z shows temperatures begining to drop with a consistent max of 7 or less kicking in from about +159 (FI I know!)

I know what you mean with the snow hunt and when the extreme charts appear, unlike the last few days, they can upgrade as much as they like as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 1

Posted

Maybe that cold (or colder) is finally on it's way?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

A birch tree to the back of our office that has stood straight all the years I have been here is now quite badly on the jaffa cakes...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Gone very black and ominous all of a sudden.

Posted

And torrential rain and very strong winds!

Posted

well having missed falling branches, dodged wheelie bins, avoided the heavy rain, i get delayed into work by not one, but two collapsed cranes Posted Image

one on the old kent road and one in Whitehall.... think i will go do the lottery.

overcast here in St James, but showers blowing along quite fast in the strong breeze

:)

looks like a long journey home tonight though. buses seem to be taking brunt of delayed trains. thank goodness its half term.

afternoon all

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I've been out for an inspection and I'm pleased to report that all trees (and cows) are still standing in this corner of MK so we seem to have come off lightly, with 220,000 homes without power, 3 people dead, homes and properties damaged by falling trees and flood water I'm very grateful for the warnings and glad we avoided the worst of it here !

Below are some of the strongest recorded winds and heaviest total rainfall amounts:

Maximum gusts during the storm:

STATION NAME AREA  MAX GUST (MPH)

WIGHT: NEEDLES ISLE OF WIGHT   99

LANGDON BAY   KENT  82

ISLE OF PORTLAND   DORSET 81

ANDREWSFIELD   ESSEX   79

ODIHAM   HAMPSHIRE  78

THORNEY ISLAND  WEST SUSSEX   76

SOLENT HAMPSHIRE  75

WIGHT: ST CATHERINES POINT ISLE OF WIGHT   75

YEOVILTON  SOMERSET   75

LYNEHAM WILTSHIRE   75

HURN DORSET 74

MANSTON   KENT  70

HEATHROW  GREATER LONDON 69

Highest rainfall totals from 6pm on 27 October 2013 to 8am on 28 October 2013:

STATION NAME AREA  RAINFALL TOTAL (MM)

OTTERBOURNE W WKS HAMPSHIRE  50

WYCH CROSS   EAST SUSSEX 45.4

CARDIFF, BUTE PARK   SOUTH GLAMORGAN 44.8

HURN DORSET 42

WIGGONHOLT WEST SUSSEX   37.2

ST ATHAN SOUTH GLAMORGAN 37

ODIHAM   HAMPSHIRE  35

WELLESBOURNE WARWICKSHIRE 34.8

ALICE HOLT LODGE   HAMPSHIRE  34.4

LISCOMBE   SOMERSET   34.4

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/major-atlantic-storm-fastest-winds-and-heaviest-rain/

This video shows the storm as it crossed the UK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-76Z-zhPyQ

• Like 3

Posted

I'm looking forward to a cool down now.  I hope it arrives in time for bonfire night. :)

It's currently 12.2c here at the moment and the wind has dropped to a stiff breeze. :)

Posted

Been to check on Mum and Dads while they are on holiday. They've lost a shed roof, fence panels and a tree. They only live a mile away and are 10m higher than us, but seems to have made all the difference.

Posted

would love to know how strong the gust was that took the crane out in Whitehall, reckon it was around 80, but probably not recorded anywhere.

as a few have said... hope it cools down and its not a BBQ firework night. would prefer jacket spuds in the fire while wrapped up against a cold wind and frost then in T shirt around the BBQ

Edited by MAF
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

well having missed falling branches, dodged wheelie bins, avoided the heavy rain, i get delayed into work by not one, but two collapsed cranes Posted Image

one on the old kent road and one in Whitehall.... think i will go do the lottery.

overcast here in St James, but showers blowing along quite fast in the strong breeze

Posted Image

looks like a long journey home tonight though. buses seem to be taking brunt of delayed trains. thank goodness its half term.

afternoon all

Afternoon MAf - I did wonder how your journey into work would be and how you were doing, especially when I saw a crane had collapsed on the cabinet office  Posted Image

post-10773-0-70525100-1382974012_thumb.j

Are there any leaves left on the trees in St James park ?

Hope you get home safe tonight  Posted Image

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

afternoon alll

not to much damage round the kt 3 area a few trees down , not to bad at all we got off allright ,gose out to these who have struggled,but super storm i think not,

Posted

My weather station never went over 27MPH last night as it's in my back garden and quite sheltered, so I've just popped to Wickes and bought a pole so it's now a couple metres higher than it was before :)

• Like 2

Posted

4 now believed dead:

The 17-year-old girl suffered fatal injuries after a tree fell onto the static home in which she was sleeping in Edenbridge. Ch Supt Steve Corbishly from Kent Police said: “She was in a static home adjoining the house she lives in with her family. Tragically, she did die at the scene. It's not being treated as suspicious but we're working with Fire and Rescue to determine the exact cause.â€

The death of the girl follows the news yesterday that a 14-year-old boy was swept out to sea in what the coastguard described as "atrocious" conditions. The man in Watford was killed after a tree crushed his car this morning, police said.

In addition two people remain unaccounted for following a gas explosion caused by a falling tree that badly damaged three homes in Hounslow, west London, the Met Police say.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/st-judes-day-storm-four-confirmed-dead-as-britain-is-bombarded-with-high-winds-and-heavy-rain-8901530.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Tragically the two people trapped in the house in hounslow have been confirmed as dead this afternoon, man and woman. Rip.

I heard the explosion from here, wondered what it was as all the birds simultaneously flew out of the trees, startled.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Have just got online after faffing with mobile broadband and small laptop. Power out since about 8am. Several branches down in locality, small trees strangely have taken the worst, although some lovely cherry trees and part of a chestnut tree have fallen, about a mile down the road at a relative's house, shame to see really as they have been there as long as I can remember. Clear skies now, hardly any rain after this morning's lot. We had some strong gusts up until about 9am, that is when most of the branches seemed to finally fall, towards the end of the gusty period. Some stormy cells towards coast, saw some mammatus too on the back of one, some strong looking cumulus type in the distance but mostly blue sky with broken cloud. Nice to have sun, especially as we don't have power and are relying on daylight to last as long as possible before turning to torches and candles! 

Catching up on the threads now, am keeping an eye on UK Power Networks news also.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Greetings all

Have we all survived?  I see on the news a few lost in our region :(

As expected the drive to work this morning was more about dodging flying bins and refuse bags than anything else, main problem was the fast build up of surface water on the roads, that made for some tricky driving conditions here.

• Like 1

Guest bjaykent

Afternoon all, showers scudding across a very moody sky today all associated with very gusty winds and six rainbows so far and that's just the ones I've noticed.Temperature has dropped away from nearly 15c at lunchtime to around 11c now. Posted Image

Pretty tired after last night, early to bed or at least earlier tonight I think.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image 

• Like 2

Posted

Pretty tired after last night, early to bed or at least earlier tonight I think.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Don't forget your brain will still think it's an hour later!

Posted

Afternoon all, showers scudding across a very moody sky today all associated with very gusty winds and six rainbows so far and that's just the ones I've noticed.Temperature has dropped away from nearly 15c at lunchtime to around 11c now. Posted Image

I noticed too how much cooler it is feeling already here, shall I turn a single storage heater onto low or try and hang on a few more days?

Guest bjaykent

I noticed too how much cooler it is feeling already here, shall I turn a single storage heater onto low or try and hang on a few more days?

I try to never use the heating before 1st Nov, put on a jumper!

• Like 2

Posted

I try to never use the heating before 1st Nov, put on a jumper!

Posted Image

That told me Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

put on a jumper!

Or just jump up and down - a lot :unsure: 

• Like 1