Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st Nov.2013

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

You've been around long enough SS to know we only believe GEM when showing summer heatwaves and winter blizzards..... Posted Image

TBF GEM did pick up the storm a few weeks back first

• Like 1

Posted

what are you on gav ? the gem is just another version of the other models. amplified around the 20th and beyond.  as so many have said this morning, where the pattern sets up will dictate what happens to our little part of nw europe and its far too early to know that. the pendulum will swing cold and less cold as the suites come out (and more obviously the ops). the trick is to spot the trend and see the wood for the trees. unless this becomes a 'count down' scenario, we are days away from having a handle on it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm 00z ensemble mean shows the colder trend locking in from T+168 hours onwards, the jet axis tilting nw-se and with the formation of a mid atlantic ridge and a large complex trough to the north slowly pushing east towards scandinavia introducing progressively colder polar/arctic air, quite an amplified pattern developing with reload potential, just like the op run. I think we are in for a cold shot with widespread frosts and an increasing risk of wintry precipitation during the second half of november, longevity and intensity are currently unknown but this morning's ens mean gives us the broad brush strokes.Posted Image Posted Image

post-4783-0-80594600-1384083928_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-06762800-1384083940_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-13982200-1384083949_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-34683800-1384083960_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-72178400-1384083970_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-22706600-1384083981_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-93645500-1384083998_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-21133700-1384084008_thumb.gi

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

The 6z brings the diving low in to far West allowing to much modification , and as a result the following High pressure doesn't ridge far enough North . A few tweaks and the 6z would have been another perfect run.... Still I will await the ensembles as im pretty sure the 6z on a Sunday morning is not the most reliable run in FI .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A key issue is shown on the GFS op there, mainly there is no cold to tap into and the easterly is completely toothless, it would be rather raw but that's it.

Ensembles again showing the Atlantic high not going anywhere quickly so it would suggest colder than average temperatures.

Gavin would love the control run btw..........

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

GEM has other ideas going for a deep low instead of any northerlies

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

If it went on a bit longer we may well see a northerly developing, possibly gale force winds with it, but in the short term anything from the north remains at t240 or beyond depending on which model you view

As you correctly say Gavin...Just look at that WAA pumping into Greenland though! 

The strength/organisation of the PV looks a tad worrying in terms of prospects of this being a prolonged cold spell, but it could be worse - the core looks to be shifted over to siberia rather than greenland which always gives us a chance.  Only mid November so anything now is a bonus I suppose :) 

Edited by weatherguy

Posted

The Gfs 06z op run shows we won't have long to wait for our first brief flirtation with cold air from the north before atlantic high pressure pushes east which cuts it off but that is just the opening salvo because even colder weather follows, cold and unsettled with snow for northern hills and frosts becoming more frequent, then we swap the unsettled polar airflow for cold roar easterlies which strengthen, it would be feeling much colder than the 6-7 celsius on the thermometer with showery outbreaks across eastern areas and a high wind chill, the driest and brighter weather further west where there is more shelter to the west of high ground.

post-4783-0-30439200-1384087062_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-75307000-1384087085_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-97004000-1384087141_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-46711700-1384087205_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-86418700-1384087213_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-16913700-1384087223_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-29771300-1384087235_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.

Posted

Just to add a dose of reality to this thread..before the masses run out to buy sledges...not many of the ensembles south of the midlands show uppers below -5c in the next few weeks. As it is only November IF this cold spell comes off; south of Manchester will see sleet at low levels and snow on highest hills. I would doubt any low ground south of Scotland will see lying snow..Still early days and could upgrade but that's the reality I'm afraid

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 4

Posted

Just to add a dose of reality to this thread..before the masses run out to buy sledges...not many of the ensembles doth of the midlands show uppers below -5c in the next few weeks. As it is only November IF this cold spell comes off; south of Manchester will see sleet at low levels and snow on hugest hills. I would doubt any low ground south of Scotland will see lying snow..Still early days and could upgrade but that's the reality I'm afraid

Lucky I'm North of Manchester then.Posted Image

I agree though Tim but the potential is there, which considering how some were saying we'd be looking down the barrel of raging zonality for November I'll take what's on offer with both hands. 

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 4

Posted

Lucky I'm North of Manchester then.Posted Image

I agree though Tim but the potential is there, which considering how some were saying we'd be looking down the barrel of raging zonality for November I'll take what's on offer with both hands. 

Yes I agree SI and I also used the word potential, which is all it is right now but with such a lot of cold options popping up now, we would be very unlucky to miss a cold blast in the next few weeks, on balance, I think it's going to happen.

• Like 3

Posted

All coldies can accentuate the positives, there are plenty of them, there might be even more on the 12z.Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Just had a gander at charts and Data ,interesting times coming im sure ,and reading some of the posts i get that feeling the prams are starting to rock, the PRozack is coming out the medicine cupboard ,and razor blades are being sharpened .but lets not get to excited ,lets have some more runs of the modells and get some good looking cold charts all within 6/7 days and of course all singing in harmony .patience is the key as we dont know whats looming during the coming 13 weeks of winter but we do know the following ,282 Runs of the big modells 564 Runs of our friend GFS And thousands of postage size Ensembles and of course our own gut instincts .[weather]your a coldy or a mildy interesting days ahead , im looking forward to the Chase and of course tonights modell discussion ,Bring it on Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Very subtle changes creeping in to the model output atm all be it subject to change .Thanks for the gavin outlook videos too which again add to the said change to a cool down.btw gavin that coughs been dragging on pal??

Posted

Just had a gander at charts and Data ,interesting times coming im sure ,and reading some of the posts i get that feeling the prams are starting to rock, the PRozack is coming out the medicine cupboard ,and razor blades are being sharpened .but lets not get to excited ,lets have some more runs of the modells and get some good looking cold charts all within 6/7 days and of course all singing in harmony .patience is the key as we dont know whats looming during the coming 13 weeks of winter but we do know the following ,282 Runs of the big modells 564 Runs of our friend GFS And thousands of postage size Ensembles and of course our own gut instincts .[weather]your a coldy or a mildy interesting days ahead , im looking forward to the Chase and of course tonights modell discussion ,Bring it on Posted Image

Fully agree legritter, all I can add to the above is  Make it Snow.............and keep watching out for a rare sighting of the beast from the east.Posted Image

post-4783-0-76136300-1384096448_thumb.jp

post-4783-0-59948100-1384096557_thumb.jp

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Snow is rare IMBY in November with polar Northerlies or NWerlies. Its always a case of seeing the grey 30 miles to the East and seeing Norfolk and E Lincs getting a pasting from coastal streamers, the 30 miles West where I am, not a speckle!! The most I get if I'm lucky is a pushed Cheshire gap light snow shower, thats it! 

The back edge of a cold front with polar air digging in behind it sometimes leaves a dusting behind it. 

Give me A NorthBeasterly or Easterly any day. 

FI keeps churning out promising signs, I must say. However, this Easterly that it is showing as Captain Shortwave mentioned earlier is toothless! Unless it could somehow deliver and become the 'toothless wonder'!

Posted

Northerly's are vastly superior to easterlys for snow. Everyone knows that.

I prefer northerlies over easterlies as they can bring sunshine with them in between any snow easterlies just deliver cloudy grey muck of the north sea like they did in March very little snow here just endless days of cloud and raw winds

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I prefer northerlies over easterlies as they can bring sunshine with them in between any snow easterlies just deliver cloudy grey muck of the north sea like they did in March very little snow here just endless days of cloud and raw winds

Eh?  The easterlies of November 2010 brought endless snow by the shed full with thunder & lightning - dispersed in between with sunshine?  Give me a raging easterly any day (with the upper air cold enough to cause snowy convection of course)

Edited by P-M
  • Like 6

Posted

Eh?  The easterlies of November 2010 brought endless snow by the shed full with thunder & lightning - dispersed in between with sunshine?  Give me a raging easterly any day (with the upper air cold enough to cause snowy convection of course)

apart from the Fact that the end Nov 2010 event was Greenland blocking and Northerlies...

Posted

Yeah that easterly did but the one in March this year didn't bring much snow, its all down to the temperature in the north sea 2010 it was warmer than average, in March it was colder than average

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, a bitter easterly with lows pushing up from the south can produce huge snowfalls.

• Like 1