Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

But with respect you are using GFS charts to back up data supplied by ECM and those temperature profile map readings are as useless as a chocolate fireguard at that range but hey ho everyone to their own.

Gibby,

I have to go off some form of data, or no argument exists.

The fact remains the charts show cold all the way, no sign of mild anywhere....

P.S - I believe you also supplied charts well into FI, which are unreliable, but hey ho... Each to their own Posted Image

P.P.S: From Ian Fergie, whom I would say is more use than a chocolate fireguard!

Colder spell expected later next week may last somewhat longer than initially suspected but longevity & influence to S UK very uncertain.

looks like met are more confident now of a more prolonged cold-spell,for most of the country

Edited by Glenn W
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Colder spell expected later next week may last somewhat longer than initially suspected but longevity & influence to S UK very uncertain.

looks like met are more confident now of a more prolonged cold-spell,for most of the country

There longer term update yesterday and again today say temperatures would be below normal from later next week through to Christmas so Its not a big surprise to see that tweet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Can I just clarify the gfs run was a cold outliner not supported by its ensembles so until we get a clear signal on this I will remain sceptical and back gibby on what he is saying we have seen this many times before that as we get nearer the event it all gets shunted further east so I remain cautious at this stage

• Like 3

Posted

The GEFS 06z mean is looking very good for a cold, windy, unsettled blast from later next week into the following week with progressively colder arctic air digging south, so frosts become widespread and sharp and showers turn more and more to hail, sleet and snow with significant accumulations across hills and in the north, showers merging into longer spells of wintry precipitation at times. ..I expect further upgrades as the clock ticks down into the reliable timeframe.

Why, please, Frosty?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Can I just clarify the gfs run was a cold outliner not supported by its ensembles so until we get a clear signal on this I will remain sceptical and back gibby on what he is saying we have seen this many times before that as we get nearer the event it all gets shunted further east so I remain cautious at this stage

The ensembles do support a cooler spell later next week for a time

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Well Ian if we were sitting here & it was Nov 2009 then I would 100% agree, after all there would be no basis to assume anything different

However You - & possibly Gibby need to think about the most recent weather over the last 4 years & factor in these 2 thoughts...

1) -AO index.

Since 1950 there have been 8 months in total that have averaged out sub -3 on the AO index they are-

Jan 63

Jan 66

Jan 77

Feb 69

Feb 78

Dec 2009

Feb 2010

March 2013

Of SIGNIFICANT note is that 3 of them in the last 4 years -

& that since 2009 the Winter anomaly has been this

Posted Image4 year anomaly.png

Even more significant that is the 4 year December Anomaly...

Posted ImageDec anomaly.png

& for comparison the 1995 & 81 anomaly for reference...

Posted ImageDEC 81 & 95.png

As you can see the match is VERY good for Greenland-, so as you can see- or maybe you both choose to ignore - either or, forecasting the Form horse isn't as straight forward as you & Gibby make out...-

You just choose the mild perspective, where as others like to explore the cold perspective.

S

it's a bit more than explore!!!! blimey. Trumpet, would be more accurate.

As well as those interesting composites (which are very interesting and a little bit exciting) it's probably worth also considering that Decembers 2011 and 2012 were both cyclonic and westerly (2011 was very westerly). Just a thought....

now bring on some snow and cold for December!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Why, please, Frosty?

Why not? and further to that, have you read the latest met office update? subtle upgrade in the wording since yesterday.  But it is set to turn colder from the north. Later in this period, there is a chance that the colder conditions may spread south across the UK, with more wintry weather and a risk of gales, especially towards the north.

It's sounding more like the whole of the uk will see the wintry blast compared to yesterday when it was a northern uk event only...and the further outlook through december is for temperatures to be below the seasonal average with wet and windy weather, especially further north, you can also take it that sleet and snow would occur during that period too since temps are expected to be below average.Posted Image

Edited by chionomaniac
Toned down bolding.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

But with respect you are using GFS charts to back up data supplied by ECM and those temperature profile map readings are as useless as a chocolate fireguard at that range but hey ho everyone to their own.

Looking for the 12 Z's to continue the cold theme for the end of next week, very promising Met Office update.

Edited by A Boy Named Sue
  • Like 2

Posted

With a pretty significant portion of the vortex shown to be close to Greenland, as indicated by the vorticity charts too:

Posted Image

That's PV on an isentropic surface. I never have an easy time interpreting isentropic output. It's useful for some applications, but primarily academics love it because it's mathematically quite elegant. In the operational context, we view fields on isobaric surfaces most of the time and it's really hard to picture (at least for me, and I'm sure others also) how the 340 Kelvin* isentropic surface behaves (how does it slope, where does it slope?), and hence what relevance potential vorticity (which is a combined field of both a thermodynamic quantity and a dynamic quantity - and hence on it's own pretty hard to interpret!) has when displayed on that surface.

What I'm saying is that I'm not totally convinced the chart shows what you say it's showing. 

* I mean, the 340K surface - is it purely stratospheric air, or does the sloping surface pass through the tropopause at some latitudes - if so, which latitudes? This muddies the waters even more.

Edited by forecaster

Posted

AO forecast is sniffing something is in the air...

post-5114-0-28952600-1385564286_thumb.gi

No surprise at all to see such a split around the end of the forecast period with 2 members tanking

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

12z Rolling, its my first time on here since the build up to the March cold spell, hopefully I can bring some luck to us coldies!

• Like 2

Posted

Is it me or are the only people bringing high latitude blocks into the equation the ones who say that one isn't going to occur??

Spot on

Posted

Is it me or are the only people bringing high latitude blocks into the equation the ones who say that one isn't going to occur??

Of course we don't need HLB for a decent North/North Westerly blast, but the synoptics being shown are 200 hours away plus and that should lead to extreme caution especially given how quickly these synoptics can fizzle out to the cold blast missing us to the East etc..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

A nice balance of optimism and caution in the forum today which reflects where we are I think. Also glad to see there has been no support for GFS 00z Op which looks like it was a rogue run - hopefully it won't develop that shortwave on the leading flank of the Aleutian ridge to such extremes on future runs either because that really is a total spoiler for any decent amplification later as explained this morning.

It has already been explained how we develop our cold snap/spell and even beginners will be familiar with the shape, amplitude, and orientation that we hope our ridge/trough will take in order to maximise any Northerlies potential and while even this initial set up is not a done deal it has been alluded to as to how we could extend the cold beyond this time frame (say around Dec 12th when the pattern looks likely to flatten out as our ridge comes under pressure and topples over the UK cutting off our cold feed..

Currently,as has been noted it doesn't look  likely that we will be able to build a Greenland block from the foundations of our Atlantic ridge but the more pronounced (and vertical) this is modelled to be then generally the better our chances will be of extending the cold. This is because it will be a symptom of a deeper trough to our East and less energy being modelled to run over our ridge which in turn opens up the small possibility of a link up between our leaning Atlantic ridge and encroaching Scandi ridge which is likely to be modelled if we can get good amplification and  alignment. (ramp ahead! Posted Image Posted Image ) If that happened then there would be a good chance of a continuation of cold and the door would be open to all kind of Wintry options such as a Scandi high, a retrogressing high (though if strat forecasts are correct then this would be difficult) and even a Murr sausage!

Okay I am getting way ahead of myself and I can understand a few rolled eyes given we don't even have our ridge in place yet and I'm crystal ball gazing and hopecasting to some extent but for those learning the models it is an explanation of what some other posters have alluded to when they mention blocking at 60o North being a way to prolong the cold and snow prospects beyond the initial Northerly, a way to achieve a notable cold spell (At least I assume this is what they mean, what do I know?Posted Image )

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

Of course we don't need HLB for a decent North/North Westerly blast, but the synoptics being shown are 200 hours away plus and that should lead to extreme caution especially given how quickly these synoptics can fizzle out to the cold blast missing us to the East etc..

It's showing a very decent spell for next week, and this has been progged for quite some time now, with pretty much all models agreeing. I do think though that if the charts were showing milder weather next week, it would be a "set in stone" thing and "will" happen, but when it's cold and snow, it's "FI" and "unreliable".

We can only report on what the actual models show, and not what we would like them to show, whether this be cold or mild or somewhere in between! FI is FI, and it is unreliable as there is not a model out there that can predict the weather with 100% accuracy, but my point above still stands.

Edited by Glenn W
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

indeed the vortex is something of a monster this year so for us to get a cold snap is something of a surprise!

problem is there is a likely outcome that the cold we will experience will be only a short but sharp cold snap other than a prolonged cold spell until we establish a more sustain pattern.

we are also unlikely to se a north easterly from this coming set up and the likely hood of a much watered down version of events with perhaps a more mobile pattern setting up into the second week of December.

its also worth mentioning that the southern half south western and south eastern parts most likely wont experience anything that the nw and north will experience. the models have already been a little wild so far this autumn in there prediction so its always best to expect downgrades.

we are talking about weather that is being predicted still far into fi and failure to develop the patterns shown is of coarse a very real outcome.

• Like 1

Posted

It's showing a very decent spell for next week, and this has been progged for quite some time now, with pretty much all models agreeing. I do think though that if the charts were showing milder weather next week, it would be a "set in stone" thing and "will" happen, but when it's cold and snow, it's "FI" and "unreliable".

We can only report on what the actual models show, and not what we would like them to show, whether this be cold or mild or somewhere in between! FI is FI, and it is unreliable as there is not a model out there that can predict the weather with 100% accuracy, but my point above still stands.

Glenn, that is because mild synoptics have a huge margin for error. Cold ones, especially easterlies but northerlies also, do not have that margin for error.

• Like 2

Posted

Is it me or is anyone else sick to death of reading vortex this or vortex that, yes it's an important player but cold spells can and do develop with a strong PV. Back to the models and having been out all day I've only just caught up with todays goings on and as some rightly point out we've still got 200+ hours to go and we all know that's an awful long time for things to change, but with my squinty eyes all I see is another upgrade for next week for both duration and strength of the projected cold blast. I see no reason why we can't squeeze out at least 5-7 days of cold and potentially wintry synoptics, who knows what can happen thereafter.

The reason a cold spell is on is because of a shift in the vortex...

Posted

Glenn, that is because mild synoptics have a huge margin for error. Cold ones, especially easterlies but northerlies also, do not have that margin for error.

Ian,

What is the proof of this? Not discrediting your above statement, but I have never seen the data to prove it.

The bottom line is, there is no mild weather shown on any of the charts for anytime soon, so it's confusing to other members to see this debate going on, all the way out to T384.

• Like 1