Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

GFS FI.....vortex moves from Siberian side to Canadian side then starts to wander back across to the Siberian side as the run comes to a conclusion....with a rinse and repeat pattern of increasing heights towards Canada on the last couple of frames. There's one thing about it, the vortex looks to be getting a tough time in settling.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

so that's two models that have changed ukmo and gfs like I said I don't buy into anything beyond t144 and as I said the ukmo is the best model by a country mile and that's already taken steps back and the gfs don't like good either into fi so everything held back once again.

• Like 1

Posted

Then you do see it?

Yes if it tracks SE and if the timing is right it will help. Here it is with its fellow traveller at 144.

Posted Image

The problem is shortwaves just complicate the picture and give more chances for things to go wrong, if you can guarantee it will behave itself though then I'm in.Posted Image

The UKMO also has a shortwave near Newfoundland so it does look like that will have to run east , the UKMO looks a bit more messy upstream than the GFS, for those wanting cold its going to have to be some shortwave drama. As long as you get that amplifying wave upstream this should be okay, did I really say that!!!

What we want is the GFS solution with a bit more amplification and it could get interesting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I think the important thing to note here, especially going forward, is that as long as that Pacific ridging is maintained, the vortex will have a tough time residing towards the Canadian sector. In theory this could set up a rinse-repeat of N'ly patterns in the mid-long term. Obviously, as surface low heights are repeatedly attacked by WAA on the Pacific side (and at times in the N Atlantic sector), things could get very interesting as we head through December and towards January.

All conjecture for now though...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

The UKMO also has a shortwave near Newfoundland so it does look like that will have to run east , the UKMO looks a bit more messy upstream than the GFS, for those wanting cold its going to have to be some shortwave drama. As long as you get that amplifying wave upstream this should be okay, did I really say that!!!

What we want is the GFS solution with a bit more amplification and it could get interesting.

Agreed but no way to be sure on the timing, development and therefore behaviour of it so yeah maybe a little drama is inevitable but I'm not keen with the way GFS Op's have made more of it as the day has gone on. Maybe I'm just a coward because as Snowman mentioned it could help as well as hinder. It may even get ironed out again anyway in future output so I'll just cut back a little on my caffeine intake until then.Posted Image

GEM

Posted Image

NAVGEM

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka

Posted

FWIW I think this will be the landing strip at day 61/2 http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/navgem/runs/2013112712/navgemnh-0-156.png?27-17 S

Would that give the UK an Easterly. An easterly laden with snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Agreed but no way to be sure on the timing, development and therefore behaviour of it so yeah maybe a little drama is inevitable but I'm not keen with the way GFS Op's have made more of it as the day has gone on. Maybe I'm just a coward because as Snowman mentioned it could help as well as hinder. It may even get ironed out again anyway in future output so I'll just cut back a little on my caffeine intake until then.Posted Image

GEM

Posted Image

NAVGEM

Posted Image

Good agreement between the NAVGEM and NAVGEM there, Mucka. Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Would that give the UK an Easterly. An easterly laden with snow?

Yes at day 10 and Santa would ride in on a snow drift bearing gifts for one and all. Posted Image

Good agreement between the NAVGEM and NAVGEM there, Mucka. Posted Image

Doh! Posted Image

Just seeing who was paying attention, honest.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Yes at day 10 and Santa would ride in on a snow drift bearing gifts for one and all. Posted Image

Except those who have been bad and would only get cold rain Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

The ENSO's connected to the AO; the AO's connected to the NAO; the NAO's connected to the MJO...Hear the word of the Lord!Posted Image

Perhaps we could hear what your opinion of the model output is and how the pattern might evolve?Posted Image  I guess that applies to others who jest at the abbreviations but don't add any contribution of their own?Posted Image

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 8

Posted

GEM 12Z fails to retrogress the block due to the depressions in the w atlantic breaking through and deepening markedly. that leaves europe under high heights and the northerly becomes a wnw and fails to make it much further south than scotland with the cold uppers!

Posted

GEM 12Z fails to retrogress the block due to the depressions in the w atlantic breaking through and deepening markedly. that leaves europe under high heights and the northerly becomes a wnw and fails to make it much further south than scotland with the cold uppers!

GEM isn't fully out yet

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 12z GEM hasn't finished running yet. At least on meteociel it hasn't

• Like 2

Posted

Absolutely nothing in GFS ensembles to suggest anything other than a cold snap, the Op was probably one of the better runs in fact.

That said it's only one run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well here is the day 8 chart from the GEM, 

Posted Image

Nuff said really

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Posted Image

Nuff said really

The contrast between the 12z and the 0z on the GEM is quite extreme at this point - that low pressure to the south-east of Greenland is massive... In any case this is one run and not a run that fits with other models, on this particular detail at least

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Make a note your diaries for the weekend of the 7th and 8th of December.

Posted Image

I'm banking this chart. Posted Image

ECM at 240

Posted Image

GFS at 240

Posted Image

Edited by IBringTheHammer
  • Like 5

Posted

Ian,

What is the proof of this? Not discrediting your above statement, but I have never seen the data to prove it.

The bottom line is, there is no mild weather shown on any of the charts for anytime soon, so it's confusing to other members to see this debate going on, all the way out to T384.

Glenn, you have been around a long enough to know how many let downs there have been over the years, we have even had the ECM at T96-120 showing bitter cold easterlies that have never materialised. If we are in a cold/average set-up and the models show mild at T120-T144 we know its virtually in the bag.

Of course recent years have seen some of theses cold synoptics verify, but we only have to look back at last December for one of the biggest failures of all, a double whammy of no easterly and then the Atlantic returning within a couple of days of when the easterly should have been happening. Even the northerly early last week totally changed from what the NWP was showing at T144-T168, so we can expect further changes. Of course prior to 2009, I could look at the models and think where can this go wrong ? Or look at a particular run and see the chink in the armour, and that is what would end up happening. 

Posted Image

Nuff said really

Not sure why people place any faith in the GEM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

It's a case of take your pick from the ensembles suite !!

Plenty of options from the 12z GFS showing a route to a decent cold spell with snow potential for many. 

I still think personally that the Low pressure system will drop well East of the UK, giving us just a brief flirtation with cold down the East of the UK. 

I think the control run is on the money..

Posted Image

The award for the most confused perturbation GFS run of 2013 goes to perturbation 12...it's  a bit like a question of Sport's ''What happened next'' ...

Posted Image

Lots of interesting charts on offer but cool | cold  zoneality from the NW is still clearly the form horse with High pressure thereafter exerting an influence from the SW, bringing an all too quick return to milder weather taking us into W|C 9th Dec ??

Posted

Make a note your diaries for the weekend of the 7th and 8th of December.

Posted Image

I'm banking this chart. Posted Image

It's a cracker. The consistency of the GFS and ECM have been remarkable for something so far out. But still a long, long way away. An easterly push of the pattern of just a few hundred miles will leave us in the dry bit. Waiting until T120 really.