Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Re: missing data on the Gfs 06 op run I'm afraid I'd have to refer you to one of the more experienced and knowledgeable members on this forum in order to give you a comprehensive answer. However, you must admit this is not the first time this has been stated about this particular run. I can honestly say hardly a day goes by that this whole "lack of data issue" isn't brought up by someone or other.

Ok no worries. But I dont think its a lack of data issue. Nice update from Ian F....if you like colder weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I don't think that anyone has said that there is no sign of cold, CC. More so, and Gibby is right here, - there are no signs in the current output of long term sustained severe cold for the UK - ie the such that favourably positioned HLB's would produce. Any one who suggests otherwise is kidding themselves. That does not mean that we will not see a spell of below average temperatures - in fact I believe that December will come in slightly below average due to the NW/ SE orientation of the jet stream and those further north are likely to see some tempreratures cold enough for snow at times.

There were a couple of good posts from CH and SM earlier that mentioned the stratosphere and wQBO and how that colder oulooks are still possible in spite of the current stratospheric conditions, but sustained HLB's are unlikely in the immediate.

Yes, as I said over in the winter thread a few days back, I don't expect December to be a 'bone shaker'....more a mish mash of synoptics ranging from cold spells to slightly above average spells. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we temporarily head back to a less cold scenario post 1st week of December. However, we're seeing a lot of cold pooling to our N within the NWP modelling and even 2-3 days of 'wintry potential' cannot be sniffed at given the prognosis for December by a few members. I'm sure many would be glad to see some snow falling in early December, regardless of its longevity....this time around.

• Like 4

Posted

Re: missing data on the Gfs 06 op run I'm afraid I'd have to refer you to one of the more experienced and knowledgeable members on this forum in order to give you a comprehensive answer. However, you must admit this is not the first time this has been stated about this particular run. I can honestly say hardly a day goes by that this whole "lack of data issue" isn't brought up by someone or other.

Some confuse different data inputs over the basic data for every run with so called missing data. There is a difference.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Colder spell expected later next week may last somewhat longer than initially suspected but longevity & influence to S UK very uncertain.

looks like met are more confident now of a more prolonged cold-spell,for most of the country

Brilliant!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I agree with steve, the mean only provides the broad brush strokes, the finer detail could mean a severe wintry outbreak hitting the north later next week and then sweeping further south...what fantastic news from fergie tweet.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

I like your style... I will take the big yellow bit over Greenland thanks.....

.yes SM, would be good via Greenland) for more sustainable cold..wouldn't be suprised to see this modeled quite soon either with the current track of evolution.!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I have tried to not really look at the UK, and more of the general northern hemisphere pattern whilst looking at the mean. Steve Murrs sentiments on this are perfectly true and the models will tend to smooth out the Atlantic ridge. A couple of things I will say is.

1. The ECM op is probably handling the Canadian region wrong in its latter frames. I don't think a HLB will develop along the northern coastline of Canada and favour more the solution which holds the Alaskan/Newfoundland highs apart with a deep trough developing through North America.

2. I expect the polar vortex to transfer from the Siberian side to the Canadian sector during week 2, by this I mean the Canadian/Greenland sector will perhaps start to dominate over the Siberian sector. Hence the key is how deep a trough we can create over the states which in turn amplifies the ridge in the Atlantic. 

3. Most shockingly I see the 06z GFS op as a very feasible solution which to be honest is a pretty decent result with a decent window for wintry precipitation before the high starts to push into the UK.

A few things related to the pattern remains at and beyond day 10. Firstly of course how potent and how far reaching any cold spell is at the day 10 range and secondly as I mentioned last night, where does the high go? Does it collapse over the UK and slowly sink into Europe, or do we develop a large and strong enough depression over Southern Europe to support a more substantial cold spell. AKA heights to the north east.

Will I ever stop obsessing about Scandi highs, probably not Posted Image

P.S Whilst unlikely I could say that the GEM solution this morning does have a slight chance of happening, more so than the ECM op in my opinion.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 8

Posted

cant attach the ecm 10 day spread but it does show clustering around the low dropping nw/se into ireland. imo, not a strong enough signal and i'd like to see some more runs before making a call on its trajectory. fwiw, the control follows this route and cuts across the centre of the uk. snow event approx north of manchester - norwich. we shall see.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Just checked the gfs ensembles and it seems to me like the op was a cold outliner so I wouldn't discount gibbys assessment just yet

Posted

Colder spell expected later next week may last somewhat longer than initially suspected but longevity & influence to S UK very uncertain.

looks like met are more confident now of a more prolonged cold-spell,for most of the country

I assume then that In terms of the influence to the South, the Met Office are no doubt factoring the likelihood of a short-wave developing which won't be picked up yet (or details not certain at least), and which will impact on the depth of cold further south.  Quite likely you'd have to say at this time of year with the relatively warm sea temps etc.

Edited by beng

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

But with respect you are using GFS charts to back up data supplied by ECM and those temperature profile map readings are as useless as a chocolate fireguard at that range but hey ho everyone to their own.

Absolutely correct I still refuse to buy into anything but a normal average December and there's a strong possibilities that the month of December will continue with a typical December weather type one blinding ecm chart in fi does not equal 2010 1995 or 1963.And some of the more seasoned model watchers them selfs have really shown very little interest in December developments that says alot in its self vortex is running the model side show.
  • Like 4

Posted

Yep no sign of cold.....cold, cold where are you cold?!........Oh, wait

Posted Image

Posted Image

Of course this hasn't actually happened yet and any plunge of cold air is subject to the timing of Seaboard depressions and the usual complications associated with getting polar air across the UK.

• Like 2

Posted

With regards to Steve's post, I don't agree that it is poor form to go for a return to mild after any initial Northerly, unless we are looking at a Dec 81 scenario, which we are not,  Gibby and whoever else are going with by far the most likely solution, particularly as we see nothing to suggest HLB in the NWP.

• Like 3

Posted

Absolutely correct I still refuse to buy into anything but a normal average December and there's a strong possibilities that the month of December will continue with a typical December weather type one blinding ecm chart in fi does not equal 2010 1995 or 1963.And some of the more seasoned model watchers them selfs have really shown very little interest in December developments that says alot in its self vortex is running the model side show.

Of course it is, it always does - it is whether it is disrupted, positioned in the western or eastern arctic that makes the difference to our expected weather conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 06z mean is looking very good for a cold, windy, unsettled blast from later next week into the following week with progressively colder arctic air digging south, so frosts become widespread and sharp and showers turn more and more to hail, sleet and snow with significant accumulations across hills and in the north, showers merging into longer spells of wintry precipitation at times. ..I expect further upgrades as the clock ticks down into the reliable timeframe.

post-4783-0-05589800-1385558812_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-41965900-1385558830_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-72993800-1385558852_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-55591700-1385558866_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Blimey, we are going around in circles, whether the chocolate fireguard will remain partly melted or frozen solid is yet to be determined, but in my eyes and those of the MetO (see above) suggest a new trend is emerging, albeit the severity of which is undetermined at this juncture. Posted Image

To repeat - Anyway, let's move on as this NOT a discussion based around one's individual's analyses over another, it should be about what the various NWP outputs are suggesting, and December is only just around the corner now.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 4

Posted

cant attach the ecm 10 day spread but it does show clustering around the low dropping nw/se into ireland. imo, not a strong enough signal and i'd like to see some more runs before making a call on its trajectory. fwiw, the control follows this route and cuts across the centre of the uk. snow event approx north of manchester - norwich. we shall see.

Day 10 ECM spread.

• Like 2

Posted

It's why I don't like analogues much, although I respect the insight (and memory!) of those that post about them.

After all,  all of the models are near identical analogues of each other at the start of their respective runs, yet they all look very different at T240 (and the actual weather different to each of them). 

It is not about trying to match surface weather for a specific location and point in time  - if we look at upper air analogs in the NH for a similar date, then pick out years where there are corresponding pattern connectors, it can give pointers to the likely broadscale movement down the line.

Posted

Senior Forecaster on Netweather mentioning possibilty of Blizzards!!

Again, I think we have to be cautious until we get into the Higher resolution on the models. We have been here a hundred times before, where as we get closer to T+0 the pattern flattens and the cold quickly shunts East.

• Like 6