Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 30th November onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Pretty darn cold, -12 uppers getting into NE England. Shetland sub -14 air. Posted Image

Posted Image

But thank fully pressure begins to push down on the country from the west Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 1

Posted

Newbie here, but GFS 18z seems to bring forward the northerly even compared with ECM, and Thursday looks bitter now, as well as Friday.  Am I right?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Coldest of the uppers moving away to the east

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pressure building over the UK

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Newbie here, but GFS 18z seems to bring forward the northerly even compared with ECM, and Thursday looks bitter now, as well as Friday.  Am I right?

yes you are the gfs is beginning to come into line with the euros , as its lagging behind as per usual... nevertheless beginning to smell the coffee.

Posted

By 180 hours on the pub run pressure is trying to build over scandi. Worth just keeping an eye on over the next couple of days. It's still an outsider but I'd be wary of discounting it yet.

Jason

• Like 1

Posted

pah - what do those NOAA people know - its not as if its their model .......................... doh!

I don't think the GFS has recovered its reputation in the USA since the Sandy debacle.It must be painful for NOAA to have to keep criticizing their own model. But at least they're generous with their data not like some models! Anyway I'd better not open that pandoras box!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted

Didn't mr murr say something about a scandy high ?Might see one here on the 18z ,

Take out the model bias and  you'd probably have one in this run. The hints keep appearing, you never know!

• Like 1

Posted

So many people, always going on about wishing for a scandi high. You do realise its not nearly cold enough to get any fun and games from a scandi yet?The only event that would be productive at this stage in the game would be a northerly or derivative thereof. An easterly would simply not be cold right now. The East isn't cold enough. 

Posted

I don't think the GFS has recovered its reputation in the USA since the Sandy debacle.It must be painful for NOAA to have to keep criticizing their own model. But at least they're generous with their data not like some models! Anyway I'd better not open that pandoras box!

Place it down, very gently, on the table. Now move back Nick, in slow, steady, and careful steps! This could explode right before your eyes!!!

Anyway, back to reality. I'm a coldie, and I do believe we're in for a cold couple of days, BUT...There's a vast difference between the main NWP that we seriously cannot take anything for granted beyond 72/96 sort of era. SM is the best man at explaining 'biases' etc, so I won't even go there, but I do offer words of caution for those viewing the model thread who aren't experienced… This is just a computerised prediction of the future. It may/may not happen, but please don't personalise the predictions of members here based on what the NWP say, it's their thoughts, and that's all.My opinion? Yes, the evolving of the ECM up to T144 or so, is what I want to see, but I fear it's not what we will see. We were all spoiled with the winters of 09/10  and early 10, not what we will ever see again IMO, but there is good support for a relatively cooler than normal scenario for the forseeable.

But…. The weather will do, what the weather will do, and you, nor I, can effect that!!!

• Like 3

Posted

So many people, always going on about wishing for a scandi high. You do realise its not nearly cold enough to get any fun and games from a scandi yet?The only event that would be productive at this stage in the game would be a northerly or derivative thereof. An easterly would simply not be cold right now. The East isn't cold enough.

This is bought up every yr... the east will be cold enough if the high is over scandi.. a couple of days is all it needs for the temp to drop significantly

Posted

Get the synoptic in first then worry about the cold. We don't have the luxury of ordering Scandi high appearances, I can guarantee you that a Scandi high given the earlier northerly into Europe will be cold, the 850's are misleading with Scandi highs in winter, of course we'd like to see sub -10 850 cold which is plausible if the high is further north to give a better chance of snow showers. Anyway that's well into the future, its only a chance at the moment but certainly can't be discounted.

• Like 4

Posted

Sorry, but that's just wrong. We are looking out towards the middle third of December and will be entering the business part of winter. A scandi high is no guarantee of snow and deep cold but it's very possible.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

The Northerly delivers the cold to the continent. Any Easterly flow after that is thus taken care of. But we ain't got a Northerly yet so it's all speculation. Lots of posts this evening bemoaning the inevitable return to zonal mid-Dec yet not a single EC ensemble member showed that last night (out of 51).
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Certainly a better run tonight from GFS but still v big differences at same time frames .and it does not take much time for a cool down of northern and central Europe with the right pressure pattern .,but i think we can close this Autumn tonight gang with a big celebration for us Model watchers ,uncle frosty will be dishing out the stellas in the morning after the morning runs ,All to play for ONE HOUR TO GO ,Posted Image What will the winter bring ,Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted

Fax goes with raw ukmo output.The London extended chillier than I expected having viewed the Dutch. Perhaps we will be cloudier and cooler by day under any MLB.

Yup. Aside from snow in N/NE & strong winds in some areas, it's a coastal flooding threat that grabs our attention at that juncture in the output timeline.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

God I love all those troughs swinging south embedded within the strenghtening arctic airflow..wish it could last a lot longer. Fantastic fax chart.

• Like 5