Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 30th November onwards

Paul

Well there is at least better agreement on the end of the week as you would expect as it moves to 4/5 day timeframe, a short northerly blast with snow showers for Scotland and the NE.

Beyond that it isn't a typical toppler but talk of a Scandi High, or at least a Scandi High that can influence the UK is very fanciful with so much energy in the Northern arm. 

Yes,i think a standard toppler will be prevented as the low will dive into Europe.

Whilst not ideal we may well end up with some kind of UK high as ECM shows which will bring cold frosty weather for the UK.After that who knows...

Edited by happy days

Posted

Interesting developments post Northerly but im not sure the models have the correct setup with the Northerly yet.

The stronger the flow(tighter isobars the better).

From an IMBY point of view its gone a bit pairshaped over the last 24 hours with more of N/NNWy which maywell leave the spine of the UK mainly dry.

All depends on troughts etc in the flow i guess...

There isn't time for anything to get going shower wise on the Western side of the UK apart from NW Scotland and maybe N Ireland for a few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It does like reasonably good agreement this morning from the main 3 for a notable but short northerly before the block rebuilds towards W.Europe/UK area.

Looking at the UKMO outputs for the next 5 days, including the fax's, we can see the changes coming in behind 2 cold fronts as the High is split and regresses back into the Atlantic.

First at T72hrs and then T120hrs.

post-2026-0-53972900-1385888941_thumb.gipost-2026-0-47309100-1385889038_thumb.gi

post-2026-0-06732300-1385888956_thumb.gipost-2026-0-40772100-1385888987_thumb.gi

That's a remarkable depth of cold just to our north being modeled with -14C uppers for Shetland!

A short but very cold Arctic outbreak coming right through by the end of the week before it get's cut off by a rebuild of pressure.Snow showers and bitter winds for many,especially further north and exposed coastal areas.

Continuing surface cold would keep daytime max's low with widespread night frosts in the following days as the high rebuilds.

• Like 7

Posted

Well there is at least better agreement on the end of the week as you would expect as it moves to 4/5 day timeframe, a short northerly blast with snow showers for Scotland and the NE.

Beyond that it isn't a typical toppler but talk of a Scandi High, or at least a Scandi High that can influence the UK is very fanciful with so much energy in the Northern arm. 

day 10 will see a ridge over n scandi.  

naefs 00z shows a developing sceuro block of some size. forget zonality - it isnt going to happen for a while yet.  the runs which show it are notable by their inconsistent occurence.  no appetite on the 850  naefs spreads to advect deep cold our way. height spreads show the block getting further north rather than sinking.  that means a wide spread of surface solutions for us - most of which are cool/cold although a pleasant southerly flow cannot be ruled out. 

45 northeasterly 90 easterly and so on. Was it a rough night?lol

Yes square eyesSo the mean is actually getting less zonal at the endInteresting that wind chart would be better to analize trends that the 500 mean...Cheers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Posted Image

Ian B 

I take it the chart you posted re very poor set up going forward has updated and didn't show this????

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Better all round this morning form the NWP with GFS as follows:

Posted Image

Posted Image

ECM

Posted Image

Even finishes with the hint of an easterly

Posted Image

Posted Image

UKMO better as well

Posted Image

The Eye in the Flointment however, is the ENS which paint a strongly mild picture after the cold snap

Posted Image

Posted Image

Although the 2M Mean does show that the surface may not be too mild i.e. , 10C at ground level in the south.

The North could be much milder if the synoptics are to be believed.

Posted Image

Edited by Purga

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Once again this morning the ECM gives 3 days of -5 or lower (-10 for Scotland) 850's before they start to relax

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The GFS ensemble also shows a few cold days before a rise in the 850's albeit quicker than ECM

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Well there is at least better agreement on the end of the week as you would expect as it moves to 4/5 day timeframe, a short northerly blast with snow showers for Scotland and the NE. Beyond that it isn't a typical toppler but talk of a Scandi High, or at least a Scandi High that can influence the UK is very fanciful with so much energy in the Northern arm.

Nearly unnoticed but biggest revelation of the morning. Not a toppler/ typical toppler!! Only joking IB.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

It will still be cold Gav, not as cold but still cold. Look at the surface temps for the 9th...

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Better all round this morning form the NWP with GFS as follows:

ECM

Even finishes with the hint of an easterly

UKMO better as well

The Eye in the Flointment however, is the ENS which paint a strongly mild picture after the cold snap

Although the 2M Mean does show that the surface may not be too mild i.e. , 10C at ground level in the south.

The North could be much milder if the synoptics are to be believed.

Posted Image

I would just ignore the Ensembles until we get the GFS on board with another model.

Posted

The GFS 06hrs run at T42hrs is already slower upstream, perhaps another small step towards the Euros, hopefully a better northerly than on the 00hrs run.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted

Great to see the ECM called this one correctly restoring my faith

in the model somewhat. Quite a potent northerly with one or two ice

days for many especially in Scotland.

Some lucky locations will also see some snowfall with snow showers

for others should give a covering.It would be nice to see the pattern

back a couple of hundred miles west as we go through the week but I

would rather take what it is showing now than have the pattern even

further east.

The ECM t240 chart looks very promising for heights to build in the

Atlantic north pulling in the cold uppers from the east perhap.

Posted

I don't see much to be that excited about in the charts, is it just me? I mean it's looking good for a day or so cold snap before high pressure builds again from the west and temperatures return to normal or just below.

I think we are pretty much stuck in a mid-latitude blocking situation until something significant changes, I certainly don't see any prolonged cold in the next two to three weeks.

• Like 2

Posted

looking at how the anomaly charts are showing Ian the output from NOAA would tend to suggest no marked sign of any ridge or even +ve anomalies into Scandinavia after the cold shot, and that looks about 3 days, +/- 2 say. However the other two ECMWF-GFS have shown this as a probabiltu over the last couple of days and do go for it in quite a marked way this morning, see link below. To me there is not enough continuity between these 3 outputs to be sure of what is goingto happen 10-14 days down the line after the cold snap but it is something to watch. Or at least it is for me on the anomaly side of things.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

the anomaly charts were also quite good in terms of making a reasonably early solid call by Wed 27 November for this cold spell. These are the notes I made Wednesday morning. There had been some indications even before that but not with enough continuity for me to take them as read.

IF these things continue as they seem to be proceeding over the last 2-3 days for the next 2-3 and with a meridional flow looking more coherent over the states with a subsequent effect down wind over the atlantic towards the uk then a colder spell would develop. To me it would be a fairly short lived spell 2-4 days perhaps, unlikely to be a week or so. Why? The +ve areas show little if any sign of migrating into the Greenland/Iceland areas but stay over the atlantic south of 60n. This rarely leads to anything more than a shortish cold spell.

Timing currently IF all the pieces fall into place would be about 10 days from now?

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking at ECM there is a 2 day window for snow before high pressure moves in

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

By Sunday pressure rises so still cold but more settled

Posted Image

GFS has snow for Scotland and some western parts the rest of it stays in the north sea though some coastal districts could catch some wintry stuff at times

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Watching the GFS 06z run come out it is like watching a different model

compared to its runs yesterday as we can now clearly see the back track

by the GFS with the Atlantic high now ridging north as the low off the

coast of the US traves north rather than east/northeast.

The 06z is actually a bit more amplified with the low slightly further

north and held back east more. That is a very potent blast of Arctic air

with the pattern slightly further west.

T126 and -12c uppers all the way down to the se corner of

the country.

Edited by cooling climate
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Gfs 6 z and finaly It's on board!!, be intresting to see how latter frames play out...scandi block...!!

Posted

-12 uppers getting into the Midlands and the S/E. A real shock to the system...

Posted Image

• Like 3