Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 30th November onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

infact the gem at t240 is what you call a good trend indeed with heights into eastern Greenland and deep lows that would most certainly be going southeast.

but its unlikely we will see Greenland blocking anytime soon but scandi block is a very realistic trend.

I think that that's where the validity, in citing previous winters' charts, comes into play...Given, say, the a chart for 3/12/62 (and somehow not knowing it was such!) how many of us would be able to make an accurate 10-15 day forecast? Air is a fluid, and can't really be compartmentalized into convenient blocks - not without encountering the obvious pitfalls associated with gross over-simplification, anyway...

God, I don't what it's going to be like in 10 days' time!Posted Image 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I think we can be reasonably sure of a redeveloping high over W Europe after the brief Arctic surge has gone east.

We have seen this on all recent runs and ens- somewhere over the s.UK and France to begin with at the weekend.

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2013120312/UN96-21.GIF?03-17

The 00z anomaly charts do show those heights relocating towarads Scandinavia by day 10 but they are not favourably orientated to bring upper cold from the east at that stage.

http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/naefs/run/naefsnh-0-0-240.png?12

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013120300/ECH101-240.GIF?03-12

We would start to see surface cold drifting off the continent in a more se flow in that pattern though.

We do need to watch for the return of part of the pv back towards Siberia which would run over the top of the Scandi.high putting it under pressure.

This is what the 12z GFS has shown in later frames and is always possible.

On the other hand it's a good sign to see the Atlantic troughing stalling out west in the earlier output which shows the block is having an effect.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Think Ian's comments are very interesting indeed. But let's not get too hung up on them. As he says they are a few opinions on the table and we just need to wait and see. Now back to the models tonight the winds on Thursday looks very nasty for a lot of the uk with Scotland seeing blizzard conditions. Then into the weekend things settling down thankfully.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The latest video from the beeb shows the milder air making its move during Friday pushing the cold air east

Tonight's UKMO

Posted Image

And the latest thoughts from the met office

Posted Image

I think the biggest concern over the next 3 days is the wind speeds for the north on Thursday

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I think the GEM has dropped the ball recently, it was the first model to pick up the signal for the upcoming cold snap but it seems to have had it's purple patch and is back down the rankings in mid table.

Posted

Summary of result from the 2009-2012 study based on RMSE for Ireland is grid area.

Climate refers to a 30 year rolling climatology for each week period.

Of course this not peer reviewed!!

post-1071-0-07219100-1386092955_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

which model is the canadian model??  

just follow someone tha say it has the low in the us perfectly tracked

GEM

Posted

Summary of result from the 2009-2012 study based on RMSE for Ireland is grid area.

Climate refers to a 30 year rolling climatology for each week period.

Of course this not peer reviewed!!

thanks for that Matty-as everyone knows I do like to see factual statistical evidence. Unless I am mistaken the end data is worse than climatology or am I misreading your data for the sites in Ireland? It would seem probable that similar figures would be arrived at over much of inland UK?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Just got in & an atrocious run from GFS mild all the way through apart from a cool blip in the north - blink and you'll miss it.

High pressure anchored over Europe and a very cold cell over Greenland and Canada blasting powerful LP systems across the Atlantic and pumping up very warm uppers across the UK.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just look at all the cold bottled up in the Arctic courtesy of a strong tight vortex and toasty uppers over GB

Posted Image

UKMO equally wretched with the vortex relocating over Greenland by 144hrs

Posted Image

Uppers very warm as well

Posted Image

Can ECM pull us out of a hopeless situation??

Edited by phil nw.
removed sarcastic comments -no more of those thanks
  • Like 1

Posted

This is a Bartlett high, giving us mild air.
Posted Image

This is a Scandi High giving us cold air.

Posted Image

Just making that clear. 

Because there sure as damned seems to be a lot of confusion in here tonight...

Posted

To be honest I really can't see anything other than a Rex block at best in the 10-14 day timeframe and even then I would be hesitant. I think we could be looking at more of the same really with heights if anything slowly sinking SE.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

Sifting through the charts from 4 years ago, it did seem that the GFS was really all over the place until the 11th. I know "No two years can be the same" but it does give us some hope as to what may unfold. In the case of that cold spell, the 18Z seem to of had a better grasp of things of what was to come. 

Keep smiling folks :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Matt Hugo on Twitter:

"CFSv2 supports EC32 in terms of pressure patterns with a really strong signal for high pressure to the N/NE of the UK"

Posted Image

Very interesting. This type of cold solution is the form horse today it seems. If we manage to get a solid block to the north this side of Xmas with the background signals what they are then this winter could turn out to be really something - I'm still holding on to the possibility of some vortex shredding later on especially with the continued strength of the aleutian high and if that happens with high pressure already in situ then we better all go buy some anti freeze and a shovel. It would be ironic if the gutter press ended up somewhere close to reality bearing in mind their headlines are based on pure fantasy. 

Maybe - after all - dreams do come true!

[steps off the box labelled "ramp" and sits back down...]

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Sifting through the charts from 4 years ago, it did seem that the GFS was really all over the place until the 11th. I know "No two years can be the same" but it does give us some hope as to what may unfold. In the case of that cold spell, the 18Z seem to of had a better grasp of things of what was to come. 

Keep smiling folks Posted Image

???yearsPosted Image

Posted

thanks for that Matty-as everyone knows I do like to see factual statistical evidence. Unless I am mistaken the end data is worse than climatology or am I misreading your data for the sites in Ireland? It would seem probable that similar figures would be arrived at over much of inland UK?

At week 3 and week 4 the forecast is marginally better than a forecast using climatology but not by much.

Of course this is an overall average and would disguise any periods of increased accuracy & skill.

ACC is a measure of skill. (incorporates climatology)

RMSE .. accuracy. 

I would assume the results would be broadly similar for England.

Edited by Matty M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Look how tight is the isobars!! Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is one beast of the storm. Worst than St Jude's? probably or perhaps not. I really think our northern counterparts will get used to it.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I think the biggest concern over the next 3 days is the wind speeds for the north on Thursday

Posted Image

Alongside the heavy snow and subzero temperatures which will follow accompanied by very strong gusts leading to potential blizzard conditions for much of Scotland, surely?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These winds could cause slight problems if they were the 'gust' speeds never mind the mean! I'm confident at least 100mph will be recorded somewhere and i'd hate to be on cairngorm summit, a bit breezy might sum it up Posted Image

EDIT : snap Matty M!

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

GEFS 12z are mild and are pretty unambiguous in their appraisal of HP anchored to our SE with presumabley the jet way to our north.

They tend to have characteristics of what Blair's 'poodle' MPs. i.e nodding dogs with the operational and tend to flip drastically and uniformly. Hence, i was suprised to see as many as 11 members this morning supporting some kind of easterly