Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 4th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Posted Imagepost-16960-0-77162000-1386973030_thumb.p

that looks scary now@ t138

snow in hi res too

post-16960-0-42517400-1386973120_thumb.p

really interesting stuff to talk about up to the festive season that's for sure.

• Like 3

Posted

18z even from around 138 there appear to be more heights building over the pole and the vortex is far more enlongated, this has continued out to 156 so far a postive step I would have thought... Lets see

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Events

Wow.......

If the 18z verifies then battern down the hatches because this is a MONSTER!!!! Posted Image

post-21019-0-30075800-1386973273_thumb.p

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

This run demonstrates the changes we are likely to see run to run. This pattern is likely to result in development of secondary lows and rapid cyclogenesis etc which may have a big effect on future timeframes. That's a nasty low on the GFS 18z

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Vicious low there, but it's a movement towards the UKMO from the GFS, better ridging northwards ahead of the low which slows the progress of the Atlantic train later on. Maybe the UKMO is onto something here.

• Like 2

Posted

The GFS 18hrs run develops a hideous looking low pressure,  with this type of set up these rapid developments off the main trough are possible. It interestingly makes less of low heights to the ne so perhaps a small shift there to the UKMO.

• Like 2

Posted

The GFS 18hrs run develops a hideous looking low pressure,  with this type of set up these rapid developments off the main trough are possible. It interestingly makes less of low heights to the ne so perhaps a small shift there to the UKMO.

Yes Nick, That would be some force there, very windy indeed, wouldnt like to be on top of the hills during that.

UKMO looks to be onto something.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes Nick, That would be some force there, very windy indeed, wouldnt like to be on top of the hills during that. UKMO looks to be onto something.

Really ! Bit premature to say that. I rather doubt the 00z will repeat the output.

Posted

Yes Nick, That would be some force there, very windy indeed, wouldnt like to be on top of the hills during that.

UKMO looks to be onto something.

I do very much hope so, lets hope that low disappears tomorrow and we end up more with the UKMO trend.

This is the UKMO T144hrs, the main PV relocating towards Canada has solid support, the area of uncertainty is really to the ne of the UK, to force some changes to the jet axis its key to get some pressure rises there, this might add enough forcing to disrupt some energy to the se off the main troughing rather than this all spilling ne.

post-1206-0-24165200-1386974128_thumb.gi

The UKMO seem to have gone with their raw output in the T120hrs fax chart, certainly I don't see a modification to the ECM there:

post-1206-0-00889600-1386974608_thumb.gi

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 9

Posted

Much better fi on the 18z - vortex in two, with the main part enlongated from the uk to northern Canada, heights building to north east.

Boxing Day snowstorm for the north at the very least.. Yes I know it's fi etc.. But it's fun to look at :)

Posted

Really ! Bit premature to say that. I rather doubt the 00z will repeat the output.

The models were also predicting the quite large storm we had a few weeks back at least a week in advance, and it verified perfectly.

I also Echo Nick's thought's in his above post.

Posted

The 18z is rampant with these LP''s and turbo-charged jetstream,another one for

christmas day/boxing day.

Posted Imagegfs-0-288.png

It's not too hard to imagine, especially with the active systems out west. I think we will see more in the way of LP systems pushing though quite rapidly as we head towards the big day, the question is, will it get cold enough to snow?

We need to see more of this getting colder.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The 18z is rampant with these LP''s and turbo-charged jetstream,another one for

christmas day/boxing day.

Posted Imagegfs-0-288.png

What a interesting 18z,shift this a few hundred miles west and we are talking,look at those hights to our east,plenty of options there to be had,i know it's fl,but ukmo could have this sooner,if it's right of cause

will this undercut,time will tell as always,more runs needed.

Posted

The 18z NAVGEM has picked up on the gfs storm.

120 hrs..

great post by oldmetman.Posted Image 

Edited by Cloud 10
  • Like 2

Posted

Thursday 19th a day to keep an eye on. Waning Full Moon. Storm surge up the Severn?

This was precisely why the 00z EC of yesterday bothered us. As I noted here yesterday, albeit the 12z runs then 'lost' it, the potential couldn't be discounted.
  • Like 7

Posted

This was precisely why the 00z EC of yesterday bothered us. As I noted here yesterday, albeit the 12z runs then 'lost' it, the potential couldn't be discounted.

Thanks Ian,

It's worth keeping an eye out for now... Albeit FI, but cannot be ignored.