Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

In the model thread even if every model is showing wind, mild and rain as far as the eye can see, the talk is still dominated by cold and snow and looking for any tiny hints and tenuous potential. I love cold and snow as much as most, would love nothing more than a deep freeze and a some blizzards, but there's so much more to our crazy varied climate. If the charts show a cold snowy spell then by all means get excited by that, but it seems many people miss out on a lot of our rich fascinating weather by hunting cold and snow to the exclusion of everything else 24/7.

/rant /moan

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The models have downgraded the Thursday's storm this morning. How many times we had downgrades? alot. At this rate this Winter is going to be a Winter Of Downgrades. bruah!! Posted Image

Which is going to be a

Posted ImageWINTER. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Lets hope it won't happen. But still a possibility sadly.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted

Insufferably bland charts today, yet again no frost/snow/remote excitement in sight, just plenty of wind and rain with little sunshine Posted Image

It seems the weather left on 3rd August and left us in this statrocumunothingness ever since bar Gales which would only get interesting from the arctic or east.

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

In the model thread even if every model is showing wind, mild and rain as far as the eye can see, the talk is still dominated by cold and snow and looking for any tiny hints and tenuous potential. I love cold and snow as much as most, would love nothing more than a deep freeze and a some blizzards, but there's so much more to our crazy varied climate. If the charts show a cold snowy spell then by all means get excited by that, but it seems many people miss out on a lot of our rich fascinating weather by hunting cold and snow to the exclusion of everything else 24/7.

/rant /moan

So focused on the pot of gold they miss the wonder and beauty of the rainbow.

• Like 2

Posted

/rant /moan

Agree with you it gets tedious to read the Mod thread as people are always looking for snow even when there are no signs of cold and snow apart form the odd hint in deep FI, but i don't agree that our climate is fascinating, a bit of rain and wind next week hardly floats my boat in the festive period, why couldn't that have happened in October and November, i wouldn't be surprised if the euro high holds on in the south the models always try to take everything further south in this sort of pattern but it ends up further north when the time arrives

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think my level of interest in the day-to-day weather will be rather higher over the coming couple of weeks than it was earlier in the month.  In this kind of mobile setup you can sometimes get quite dramatic squall lines and strong winds, and blustery showers with the possibility of hail and thunder in the polar maritime westerly incursions.  It does depend on where you live though- I recall that I usually found this type of setup quite tedious in Norwich, for East Anglia is very well protected from the excesses of Atlantic westerlies, whereas the Vale of York, though sheltered by the Pennines, is not quite as strongly protected, as was demonstrated during the wild last week of January this year.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Click on the image for a satellite view of the big freeze crippling the world - snow has covered Jerusalem to Africa, but a corner of NW Europe stands out......

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Click on the image for a satellite view of the big freeze crippling the world - snow has covered Jerusalem to Africa, but a corner of NW Europe stands out......

Posted Image

BwaHaHaHa  Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

How anyone can say the weather is boring at the moment needs their head readingPosted Image

18th and 19th looking like there could be a big storm brewing, I am a lover of cold and snow but there is no denying looking at latest model output that the Atlantic is angry and ready to fire some proper weather at usPosted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Can we have a dislike button on mod thread please and i wish that euro high would bugger off it doesnt show its face during the spring/summer so do one!! Lol

Posted

BwaHaHaHa  Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Lol, just you wait when this summer see HLB and big trough centred right over the UK.Posted Image

Edit; That was meant for Gaz.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm holding fire but if we don't start to see some better looking charts being modelled come the New Year then personally I'm not that bothered about a cold February as  in my fifty years of being here, none of them  bar two have produced anything in the way of lying snowfall or lasting deep cold IMBY.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted

is anybody honestly shocked that the euro high may come back again xmas week, the models always try to get rid of heights to the south and over do low pressure systems placing them too far south, then they shunt everything further north again and the south holds on dry mild weather with only a bit of patchy rain, i've seen it time and time again and im only a novice at this weather lark

i had a moan yesterday that is this could happen but my post got deleted 

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Personally it's saving me a fortune in gas and electricity. So I dont care :)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Personally it's saving me a fortune in gas and electricity. So I dont care Posted Image

that's true, but would still rather have some seasonal cold and snow and pay a little more on the energy bills for a few weeks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Personally it's saving me a fortune in gas and electricity. So I dont care Posted Image

Yes and with bills for some of us falling by £50 over the next few weeks we could be saving even more if this keep up

:)

• Like 1

Posted

Yes and with bills for some of us falling by £50 over the next few weeks we could be saving even more if this keep up

Posted Image

only trouble is, if the energy companies lose out because people aren't using so much gas and electric, they will just hike the prices up to compensate, so we are in a no win situation every time.

• Like 2

Posted

is anybody honestly shocked that the euro high may come back again xmas week, the models always try to get rid of heights to the south and over do low pressure systems placing them too far south, then they shunt everything further north again and the south holds on dry mild weather with only a bit of patchy rain, i've seen it time and time again and im only a novice at this weather lark

i had a moan yesterday that is this could happen but my post got deleted 

i would even rather have the dreaded bartlett than the present rubbish we have.  I have a feeling that this winter and the ones to come will be a repetition of the dire mild winters of the late 1990's.  We have had a run of cold winters and as we know with the UK climate (or should i say weather), these tend to come in clusters and it looks like we are heading for a mild cluster from now on.  Just typical too as i made sure my car was winter proofed this year only for it to probably turn out to be the mildest winter for the last few years.  I won't bother next year that's for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

i would even rather have the dreaded bartlett than the present rubbish we have.  I have a feeling that this winter and the ones to come will be a repetition of the dire mild winters of the late 1990's.  We have had a run of cold winters and as we know with the UK climate (or should i say weather), these tend to come in clusters and it looks like we are heading for a mild cluster from now on.  Just typical too as i made sure my car was winter proofed this year only for it to probably turn out to be the mildest winter for the last few years.  I won't bother next year that's for sure.

Yes but this time last year we had similar mild, zonal weather and look how Jan onwards turned out...we just don't know what is going to happen in a few weeks time. It is only Dec 16th, when cold and snow come it's usually in Jan or Feb, so don't give up hope!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

viewed models for first time since 7th Dec 18Z, nothing really improved, not for low levels in the south

I know snow and cold and high pressure (even mild) is virtually non existent in Dec/ early Jan, just hope around new years Day, we will see increasingly cold deep FI charts

Posted

Yes but this time last year we had similar mild, zonal weather and look how Jan onwards turned out...we just don't know what is going to happen in a few weeks time. It is only Dec 16th, when cold and snow come it's usually in Jan or Feb, so don't give up hope!

that is very true staines, although we had our first snowfall of the winter last year by 5th December and this year, we've had nothing so far.  Even very little in the way of frosts, so that is a bit ominous.  From experiences though it does seem to be the way that if you have a cold start to the winter, the second half can usually be cold (and vice versa).  In December 2010 when we had the cold and snow throughout the month we had nothing from January onwards and it was even relatively mild for the rest of that winter, so maybe i shouldn't give up all hope....just yet.  Saying that i don't want cold and snow in the first week of January either as i'm moving house :)

Posted

Total cr*p sums today up.

We are very close to writing December off with one of the most +AO months ever.

I don't recall one winter forecast close to this anomaly!- above average rain & a very big +VE temp anomaly.

S

Yes couldn't agree more Steve, and the ECM has just led to a jump in the share price for Prozac! That T240hrs is a desperate chart to see! I really hope the ECM is as wrong as it was a few weeks back and the GFS lower resolution is the right trend, you know things are bad when I start talking about the GFS post T192hrs!

• Like 4