Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion 16/12/2013 >

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

GFS goes for a West coast pasting showing healthy accumulations by Boxing day.... not that I place great faith in these particular GFS charts

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I thought we got off lightly with bawbag. I drove home in the middle of it and was surprised how little damage was done considering the intensity. The more I look at this one the more worried I get. What a time of year to get a storm like this. If the snow comes this could be stay indoors and peek out the blinds job!

Putting the problems aside with power and travel etc....the prospect of a storm like this and thought of it being snowy would be a rather incredible thing to see.....just not a great time of year for it unfortunately!!

I cant deny though intrigued to see what it brings and incredible to thing another brewing for Friday!! crazy

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Its common practice to multiply the sustained wind speed by a factor of 1.5 to 2.0 (depends on the surface roughness) to get the gust speeds. So, 1.5 over the sea to 2 in urban/city area.

Edited by snow1975
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

see this time last year while we were seeing things happen in the strat before we got a warming kick in did we not see these big huge areas of low pressure as well just they didn't get in properly and stayed in the atlantic.

Posted

see this time last year while we were seeing things happen in the strat before we got a warming kick in did we not see these big huge areas of low pressure as well just they didn't get in properly and stayed in the atlantic.

yeah, we did, in Jan 2013. But they were further west over the North Atlantic. It's like the whole pattern (longwave/Rossby wave) has moved east this winter. Maybe due to the +QBO?

Edited by snow1975
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Stay safe people, the only good news I can offer is the continued signal for cold weather and interesting post in Model Thread regarding New Year (the post was from Carinthian). Cheers

• Like 1

Posted

yeah, we did, in Jan 2013. But they were further west over the North Atlantic. It's like the whole pattern (longwave/Rossby wave) has moved east this winter. Maybe due to the +QBO?

I knew we had seen them last year.

don't know about what has moved it east maybe likes of LORENZO and LS or someone else more knowledgeable could help with that one.

its funny listening to them all in the storm thread again going on about the wind when its gonna be like there last storm just a few hours of high winds down there while we are set to have it for around 24hrs.

we should all jump in and talk about how bad its gonna be up here (think that might upset them though) Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Would think with the latest output the warnings may be revised a little, with the addition of more Amber to the chart for Xmas Eve, it's not just the gust potential it's the fact that this low is parked and moves very slowly over the 12 hour daytime period on Xmas Eve, whilst maintaining it's depth.

post-7292-0-49994000-1387818778_thumb.pn

10m windspeed at mid-day.

post-7292-0-05974200-1387818675_thumb.pn

From GFS viewer on Netweather

post-7292-0-67838700-1387818679_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-67596600-1387818681_thumb.pn

Updated Fax - Met Office going with 926 !!! One for the archives.

post-7292-0-98293700-1387819041_thumb.gi

Current Output vs B'Bag

post-7292-0-64872300-1387819318_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-06181400-1387819387_thumb.gi

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Can I ask when it's due to hit us here in the north end of the Borders?  So I know when to start panicking.

Posted

Can I ask when it's due to hit us here in the north end of the Borders?  So I know when to start panicking.

put it this way we are on the roller coaster and there is nae getting aff noo

Posted

looking like getting windiest from morning on Christmas eve and staying windy most of the day

Posted

I have to work all day tomorrow, ootside. telephone box.

same here, Postman. I can see Xmas cards being blown oot my hands and ending up in Norway.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Ditto!! Ha, another postie! We are like the 4th emergency service, always oot in shiite weather!

Edited by BurntFishTrousers
  • Like 3

Posted

this is good to save and look at to watch it wind up.

have to admit though I need a little help to locate it.

is that it starting to wind up out to our west and south of Iceland towards the end.

I would post pic and paint where I am looking but wont let me save a pic or copy it.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Surely the central belt warning will get upgraded to amber and maybe even red!! If we are expected gusts around 90mph I think its wise of them to upgrade it. Any more than that I would make it red!!

Edited by Ross Andrew Hemphill

Posted

As Bawbag gave a reading of 165mph at Cairngorm.......makes you wonder what this is going to top out at up there this time round......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

RE: Sting Jet, need a Met. to answer if there is potential for one in this system, am unsure how the interaction with the descending dry air with the area of low pressure further west impacts development.

This animation shows the 2012 New Year storm Sting Jet.

Posted Image

Link here http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/archives/9502

• Like 5

Posted

Ditto!! Ha, another postie! We are like the 4th emergency service, always oot in shiite weather!

Yes, people must get their junk mail. Even if a red warning, we are still sent oot and thats just after watching a health and safety video. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Wind picking up. Can hear it inside the house now which means it's getting breezy.

T peaked at ~8.5 C. Now on the way down and 7.5 C.

• Like 1

Posted

I knew we had seen them last year.

don't know about what has moved it east maybe likes of LORENZO and LS or someone else more knowledgeable could help with that one.

its funny listening to them all in the storm thread again going on about the wind when its gonna be like there last storm just a few hours of high winds down there while we are set to have it for around 24hrs.

we should all jump in and talk about how bad its gonna be up here (think that might upset them though) Posted Image

There driving me mad in there no one mention of us in there ah well lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Unsurprisingly a huge segment on BBC News atm for the softy southerners. Oh is that a plastic bag on the line at Euston? Posted Image

Seriously though, tomorrow looks rough for northern parts including us of course

• Like 5

Posted

There driving me mad in there no one mention of us in there ah well lol

we should all jump in at the same time and take over and talk about the real storm we are going to see

• Like 1