Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

SW will hopefully be large enough over Greenland and Newfoundland to disrupt the polar vortex. If we are really lucky, it will split it, then we should prepare for a colder second half of January with the S word creeping into the forecast. Until then, the models will continue to churn out atlantic storms and mild weather. Poor wildlife, the animals and insects think it is spring.

SW please?

• Like 1

Posted

BOOM...Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Imageh500slp.png

....and mild as hell. Posted Image

Ian

and in another attempt to show what the actual model is showing here are the maximum temperatures, only the far south really mild although nowhere is cold by Met O definition away from the far north of Scotland?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

SW please?

Stratospheric Warming maybe? I'm sure there are plenty of good posts in here, it's just that they are buried under acronyms and made up terms!

• Like 4

Posted

nope... i've read it several times and i can't see that line anywhere.....

it is in the BBC monthly forecast and why that is different when both versions come from staff at Exeter is beyond me. If I had the patience I would send an e mail and ask.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Sorry John, that's me being lazy. Indeed, stratospheric warming. Last year we had sudden stratospheric warming that brought us cold and snow, this years is slower, can it still produce the goods?

Posted

it is in the BBC monthly forecast and why that is different when both versions come from staff at Exeter is beyond me. If I had the patience I would send an e mail and ask.

thanks john. it somewhat contradicts what the Met Office website says-

"

UK Outlook for Tuesday 14 Jan 2014 to Tuesday 28 Jan 2014:

Current indications suggest the unsettled start to January is more likely than not to persist through the middle to latter part of the month. This would mean spells of dull, wet and windy weather alternating with brighter but colder and showery periods, including some wintry showers. Some signs are also emerging to suggest temperatures being less mild in general terms than during the first half of January, with the possibility of colder weather later in the month."

which is a good summary of the current model output, including the possibility (as discussed in detail on here) of a change to colder conditions by the end of the month

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

I'm not entirely sure but i believe the BBC Monthly Outlook uses just the ECM 32 Day whereas the MetOffice extended outlook uses the 32 day alongside some of there other models (MOGREPS-GEO4 etc) to get a more detailed picture? Im not sure though so hopefully Ian F is around to answer as it is a bit strange that the outlooks differ like that Posted Image

Edited by bradythemole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I'm not entirely sure but i believe the BBC Monthly Outlook uses just the ECM 32 Day whereas the MetOffice extended outlook doesnt always follow just the 32 day if some of there other models (MOGREPS-GEO4 etc) show something different? Im not sure though so hopefully Ian F is around to answer Posted Image

This is taken from the beebs monthly outlook page right at the bottom

The weather beyond about a week ahead stretches even the most experienced weather forecaster. Complex numerical weather forecast models from the Met Office and the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) are run many times for the month (and season) ahead to build up a picture of the likelihood of different weather types affecting the UK.

Looking at the ensembles there are some promising signs from the 8th of Jan with rainfall finally easing giving places time to dry out after a very wet few weeks

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Temperatures out to mid Jan never look too far away from average

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The fax charts for the next few days sum up the outlook for this week and probably beyond as well.

A couple of images below show the persistence of low pressure in the eastern Atlantic feeding the south westerly winds across the UK with frontal bands of strong winds and rain moving through from time to time.

post-2026-0-83177600-1388408481_thumb.gipost-2026-0-58072200-1388408494_thumb.gi

A very persistent setup so far this Winter and it looks likely to continue into the first week of January with mean outputs supporting continuing low pressure close to the UK feeding of the main core of the Greenland/Canada vortex.

post-2026-0-94639800-1388408966_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-88568300-1388408993_thumb.pn

Some mountain snow likely in Scotland where somewhat colder air mixes in at times outside any warm sectors but nothing out of the ordinary for a UK Winter.

I wish i could see signs of a change but nothing really new is promised by the looks of the current runs.

The main interest for weather watchers presently continues to be for any gales and heavy rain.

• Like 7

Posted

Oh okay thenWrong! There are a lot of lurkers in this thread who will quite understandably take charts at face value. Unlike your rather rude and aggressive post I was at least discussing the model output. By all means disagree but its posts like yours that deter people from posting in here.

Yes, and referring to the original post, the model is not really an "algorithm".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest NAO update continues to suggest it staying around neutral during the first part of January 

Posted Image

Latest AO update stays negative for the opening few days of January after this we have a lot of scatter

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

I'm not entirely sure but i believe the BBC Monthly Outlook uses just the ECM 32 Day whereas the MetOffice extended outlook uses the 32 day alongside some of there other models (MOGREPS-GEO4 etc) to get a more detailed picture? Im not sure though so hopefully Ian F is around to answer as it is a bit strange that the outlooks differ like that Posted Image

Well that would explain why the discrepancy then, as the ECM32 are pointless after 15 days regardless of some defending them.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Well that would explain why the discrepancy then, as the ECM32 are pointless after 15 days regardless of some defending them.

Not backing the ECM 32 up, but to be fair, are there any reliable long forecasting models out there at the moment? The ECM32 is not great but is the probably the best available for the timeframe it covers. The problem is rather that forecasting accurately past 15 days is still no where near as accurate as everyone would like and the models (EC 32, CFS, JMA) all reflect this and take the stick. Modern day society needs and wants more accurate longer range weather forecasts and Improving longer range forecasts is probably the next biggest milestone to be achieved in weather forecasting.

Edited by bradythemole
  • Like 2

Posted

Afternoon all

Just catching up with all the outputs, the ECM is a step up in terms of cold potential compared to last nights 12hrs run, the GFS still underwhelms me.

Earlier there is a marked difference with how the big 3 deal with that low in the NE USA, the UKMO looks very much an outlier solution with that although NOAA in their state forecasts suggest a high level of uncertainty.

NOAA also comment on another chunk of PV dropping into the US plains from NW Canada, and another possible ne USA storm for next week, this will be the one that develops around 168 to 192hrs, this really is the crucial system because its how this interacts with the PV that will effect the ridge thrown ahead of it that buys some time for western Europe.

post-1206-0-77601500-1388414720_thumb.gi

Essentially here its a simple question of whether any phasing takes places between the PV to the west and that low near the UK, its really down to that, we don't want any phasing and must have enough ridging between the two to stop that.

post-1206-0-51869300-1388414801_thumb.gi

There  isn't really a middle ground solution here either because if phasing takes place this will pull a bunch of low heights east with it and the window to escape this zonal stalemate closes.

So I'm afraid we have all our eggs in one basket here, if this opportunity implodes then we'll have to wait for another and I'm sure patience amongst coldies is wearing thin.

I should add the ECM and GFS deal with the crucial low very differently, the GFS has no interaction with the PV, the earlier timeframe here does have a big impact in terms of the chance of the ECM trend verifying, the further south low pressure is over the UK the higher chance of success so keep an eye on this around the 144 to 168hrs timeframe, also the shape of any troughing, the round one shown in the GFS is a big no no in terms of success, you want some elongation of this and it to be as shallow as possible.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 9

Posted

Not backing the ECM 32 up, but to be fair, are there any reliable long forecasting models out there at the moment? The ECM32 is not great but is the probably the best available for the timeframe it covers. The problem is rather that forecasting accurately past 15 days is still no where near as accurate as everyone would like and the models (EC 32, CFS, JMA) all reflect this and take the stick. Modern day society needs and wants more accurate longer range weather forecasts and Improving longer range forecasts is probably the next biggest milestone to be achieved in weather forecasting.

Agreed, it is the probably the best out there and the odd time it has picked up on a trend, but we've still a long way to go yet in producing accurate LFR. The Strat thread is like a breath of fresh air come the  winter, it's not infallible but it's certainly the future of making LRF during the winter months.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 1

Posted

Just a reminder to stay on topic please folks.

A few posts have been removed which didn't add anything.

Thank you everyone.Posted Image

Posted

SI/Lassie23,

Noted but posts have been removed now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Weatherweb tv mentioned a cold snap in the middle of January. CFS is going for one too, but a brief one which may be extended due to the predicted Stratospheric Warming. As long as I get a fix of ice and snow, then I'm happy. Those snowless winters with 14 degrees in February in the 1990's were awful.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS 12z continues to reverse yesterdays trend of flattening the Scandinavian ridge and pushing energy NE through the region -  96h 12z comparisons today/yesterday (Incidentally, yesterday's 18z was flatter still)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Let's hope for more amplification upstream than previous runs.

Edit. mid term 144

Jet bucking over Canada and much more amplified with better ridging ahead - this is a trend we need to see continued and improved upon.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

Out to six days so far on the 12z GFS and its wet and windy.

Looking from the NH view, it looks promising for a colder spell with heights pushing towards the Pole,Northern Greenland and Scandi with the core PV shifting back to central Canada.

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20131230/12/144/npsh500.png

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Like 2

Posted

The GFS 12hrs run is still blowing up that low over the UK, but its much better upstream with more amplification, and better to the ne.

A small step to the ECM upstream but we need to see a shallower low over the UK.

If that pesky low was shallower and more elongated running ne/sw then I would wager we'd see a good outcome, it will be a close run thing here.

We must not see phasing with that low over the UK, if only the damn thing would just fill more quickly!!!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

The GFS 12hrs run is still blowing up that low over the UK, but its much better upstream with more amplification, and better to the ne.

A small step to the ECM upstream but we need to see a shallower low over the UK.

That would be nice and the trough digging deeper would also help but I think we may be about to see the first decent FI on an operational run for quite a while nontheless - we shall see. Either way it is heading in the right direction.

UKMO looks pretty poor in comparison. Scrap that decent FI for GFS, Atlantic ridge not strong enough.

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3