Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Good ECM 240. Could go either way from this point but an interesting chart and the 192 and 216 are not the worst either.http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=72&mode=1&map=0&type=0&archive=0

Well at 10days away its pretty meaningless to analyse to much,upstream it looks reasonable but loook at that huge area of High pressure across Southern Europe,we need the lows to drop SE,desperately.

• Like 1

Posted

The sum total of that ECM is I have a concussion after banging my head against a brick wall!

Upstream is good, indeed the orientation of the PV looks a good correlation for a ne/e over the UK, as you can see at T240hrs it desperately tries to do that, maybe you might get lucky here but margin for error is always needed in the UK.

If people don't want to have to need sedatives to cope with the stress of finding some cold then we need the upstream pattern as is with the troughing over the UK sending more energy east/se, we need a bit more forcing on the pattern near the UK and need some stronger heights to the ne.

Overall not a bad trend from the ECM and theres scope for some improvements, a lot needs to go right upstream and its critical that energy phases with the PV and associated low to develop that more amplified wave ahead of it.

• Like 3

Posted

The next two weeks could bring a transition - PV looks to be vulnerable, a near permanent Arctic High - but for cold prospects, the continuing strength of the Canadian PV is problematic - while it's around, we're always in danger of being on the milder side of things.

ECM T240 shows how cold could threaten even with the Canadian PV in situ - shame the ECM has tended to overdo amplification in recent times:

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Good ECM 240. Could go either way from this point but an interesting chart and the 192 and 216 are not the worst either.http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=72&mode=1&map=0&type=0&archive=0

Alas we can't develop a Euro trough which means the wedge of heights will sink over the UK. You need a better profile to the north east earlier on, which can split the energy NE/SE and develop a low in the Mediterranean like this mornings run. This one you end up with a stalemate which stalls the trough which means the trough sharpens and elongates whilst remaining in near enough the same location. That in response actually raises heights over southern Europe as the trough digs into the Canary Isles. 

It's pure conjecture though as the models can't agree at even 4 days out on the upstream pattern. At least the ECM and to a degree the GFS offer some hope going forward with some tweaks. But frankly the models seem to being playing with these different heights/ridges like they are pick and mix.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

Only going one way at that point! Return to westerlies.

Not sure I completely agree with that. It's certainly a possibility but if you look at the progression of the low near canada from 216 to 240 its going north. Also with a distinct high pressure cell to our NW the jet could easily be deflected SE.A very difficult chart to call tbh.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Hp across Europe is proving a real pain in the backside again.Posted Image

Euro high and azores high this winter have been misbehaving!Posted Image They just won't head north.

Posted

After my mini tirade re tonights ECM lets think positively here! The small high which looks no match for the PV could develop into a cut off feature here, it all depends whether that energy on the se part of the PV goes se.

It has though a low margin for error because the troughing over the UK  has taken so long to fill and disrupt, upstream is favourable, its just trying to get the pattern near the UK to play ball.

• Like 4

Posted

ecm op is in line with the dominant cluster on the 12z gefs at day 10.  a bit of light in the general darkness ???

Should mean a more amplified NAEFS 12z later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Only going one way at that point! Return to westerlies.

Please back that statement up with reasoning for the newbies or less well informed

After this point i presume you are referring

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013123012/ECH1-240.GIF?30-0

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013123012/ECH0-240.GIF?30-0

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Things starting to look better now albeit 10 days away so caution needed but we do have growing signs that the Atlantic train of LP systems could come to an end during the 2nd half of next week

ECM

Posted ImagePosted Image

GEM

Posted ImagePosted Image

GFS

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Please back that statement up with reasoning for the newbies or less well informedAfter this point i presume you are referringhttp://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013123012/ECH1-240.GIF?30-0http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013123012/ECH0-240.GIF?30-0

In fairness, he's presumably referring to the jet stream coming off the US. The issue really is where that jet streak goes and that's very difficult indeed to call off that chart. Its a real 50/50 scenario as I could see that developing into a full blown easterly two days down the line. Equally though it's perfectly possible that we would be back to square 1 two days later. Take your pick really.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

In fairness, he's presumably referring to the jet stream coming off the US. The issue really is where that jet streak goes and that's very difficult indeed to call off that chart. Its a real 50/50 scenario as I could see that developing into a full blown easterly two days down the line. Equally though it's perfectly possible that we would be back to square 1 two days later. Take your pick really.

I understood that but thankyou for your explanation.My point was really that it was not going solely one way and it would have been better for some on here to know that.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Posted Image

Now that's more like it, will this be the first run of many to show this route this soon?  I think it is onto something here.  For me previous runs have been milder than this, although not real cold its a colder theme and could develop more favourably from there.

And not without support ..... a hint from GFS

Posted Image

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

In fairness he said "there's only one way from there". No 50/50 caveats stated or suggested. Simply a misleading statement which appears far to often on this forum. How I can come to the same (correct) conclusion as many of the experienced people on here with regards to that chart, considering my very limited exposure to the models, while somebody so accustomed to them can differ from them so much is strange. Really doesn't help with the learning process that so many on here, such as JH, attempt to aid. Charts to back up the statement would help in this regard Edited by The Post-modern Winter
  • Like 3

Posted

Posted Image

Now that's more like it, will this be the first run of many to show this route this soon?  I think it is onto something here.  For me previous runs have been milder than this, although not real cold its a colder theme and could develop more favourably from there.

And not without support wither

Posted Image

BFTP

Posted

There are a few posts in this thread showing 10hPa temperature charts from meteociel. Please note that the temperature patterns on these charts do not show the geopotential heights and therefore we cannot comment on the state of the polar vortex at this level from these charts. Therefore we cannot say whether there is a split vortex or not. Currently any strat warming forecasts are very much at the end of FI - yes they are promising, but I feel that we should not get overhyped about these until we something in a more reliable timeframe. Furthermore to that - even if we were to see a SSW then it would be unlikely to occur until the last third of January and any possible cold benefits would only be felt after that date so we are not likely to see any significant strat induced cold options on the modelling for a good while if at all.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if we should concentrate on the trop output for a while in this thread and keep the strat charts to the strat thread?

A very strange request from you Chionomaniac considering the great work and time you have put

in to educate posters about the importance of the state of the stratosphere in winter time and the

undeniable link it has with the troposphere and different synoptics seen in the troposphere and

on the NWP model output.

I think all cold winter weather lovers should be very pleased with the GFS 12z run from a

stratospheric point of view.

Edited by cooling climate
  • Like 2

Posted

In fairness he said "there's only one way from there". No 50/50 caveats stated or suggested. Simply a misleading statement which appears far to often on this forum. How I can come to the same (correct) conclusion as many of the experienced people on here with regards to that chart, considering my very limited exposure to the models, while somebody so accustomed to them can differ from them so much is strange. Really doesn't help with the learning process that so many on here, such as JH, attempt to aid. Charts to back up the statement would help in this regard

Trouble is that there is no 'right' answer with that chart, it's very much down to personal opinion. My opinion is that it's an unusual set up from there and I think its not possible to be confident about what comes next. Others may disagree however and his view is that its a nailed on westerly. Who knows, he may be right.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Trouble is that there is no 'right' answer with that chart, it's very much down to personal opinion. My opinion is that it's an unusual set up from there and I think its not possible to be confident about what comes next. Others may disagree however and his view is that its a nailed on westerly. Who knows, he may be right.

Exactly, there is no right answer. So don't make definitive statements with supporting them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

A very strange request from you Chionomaniac considering the great work and time you have put

in to educate posters about the importance of the state of the stratosphere in winter time and the

undeniable link it has with the troposphere and different synoptics seen in the troposphere and

on the NWP model output.

I think all cold winter weather lovers should be very pleased with the GFS 12z run from a

stratospheric point of view.

Troposphere....enlighten me, I know nothing about this and how it affects our weather.Posted Image