Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Right then peeps!

As ahm no technical enough wi regards tae the Withur Models etc. ah rely oan two things.Posted Image

Firstly, ah look in the Mad Hoose tae see whit the Very Learned are saying, Steve, Nick, Me Holmy, Frosty tae name but a few.Posted Image

Secondly, ah then prefer tae look in here for whit Lorenzo, LS and BUS tae name but a few are saying  Posted Image (I know our guys post in the MT), but you'd need an Aeburdeen Trawler tae land the best posts in there. Posted Image

So far This Winter has been dominated by Storms coming in of the the Atlantic.

Now! this has apparently been driven by an exceptionally strong Jet Stream, which in-turn has been driven by an exceptionally cold North American Winter. (Up-Stream)

If any thing, all of this more so than ever before, is confirming to me that what happens Up-Stream has a ultimate impact on our resulting weather here in the UK.

My conclusion therefore is that why do we not simply look at the Models for the USA / Canada to see what the projected weather is for them.

This area of the NH (Up-Stream) is continental and much more easy to forecast accurately than our Island Location within the NH and surrounded by Ocean & Sea.

I think that we could possibly prevent all the disappointment which Model watching and Interpretation bring to so many in the hunt for Snow, Cold & Easterlies, if we always observe North America very closely for their current & also forecast weather before we try to work out what might happen here at T+ whatever  Posted Image

A simplistic view I Know, but to me it looks like as long as America & Canada are having a Record Breaking Winter, then We are phucked!!! Posted Image

Big Simple Innes

I think you're actually pretty close to the mark there and if you look at the posts from someone like BA and quite often Nick Sussex they are always banging on about North America, this has a big bearing on our weather down the line, especially during record breaking periods.

The PV that's been situated to their north for weeks on end is a monster and has dominated our winter so far and tbh I can't see any signs of it weakening. Until this happens the best we can maybe hope for is transient cold before it's blasted away again by an attack from this mighty PV to our west.

I'd love to see the PV work in our favour later in the winter but it will take some dramatic changes over the next few weeks to budge it.

• Like 9

Posted

On mobile so can't see much but has there been an upgrade on the hill snow tonight? Motorway signs are warning of snow and meto have an ice wwarning out which mentions hill snow? Maybe a snow one about to be issued? Can't see charts with cr*p mobile connection.

• Like 1

Posted

Ah, warnings just north of central belt. Must be because parts of Strathclyde are affected that its on the signs nr Glasgow.

edit: warning texts mentions chance of snow to low levels thro central belt for a time

Edited by Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Actually Big Innes, something I did not know surfaced on the 'Battered Britain' broadcast on Friday. Whilst the cameras were in the weather office, a forecaster demonstrated how, using computers, that they firstly check the predictions for weather in the USA. They then select the most likely pattern and use that as a starting point to compile our forecast for here.    So you see, you are not as meteorologically challenged as you thought you were!Posted Image

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Ah, warnings just north of central belt. Must be because parts of Strathclyde are affected that its on the signs nr Glasgow.

edit: warning texts mentions chance of snow to low levels thro central belt for a time

I think the delayed onset of the front is why the risk of snowfall has increased a bit - previously it looked like reaching us by 3pm but now that's extended to 9pm:

Posted Image

Posted Image

'Lower' uppers just about holding due to a slightly better tilted trough, with Glasgow westwards in particular having a shot of some early snowfall:

Posted Image

before turning more to rain later on:

Posted Image

The really intriguing bit is that uppers above 0C are overhead right now, draw up from the south, but slightly colder uppers will push in from the west with the front:

Posted Image

By midnight this layer is fine, but lower down the less cold air has mixed in:

Posted Image

Slightly unusual to see one layer warming while the other cools with frontal systems but this is an unusual one - we're currently in the 'warm sector' (believe it or not) although the warm front was incredibly weak and hasn't really managed to mix down to lower levels. When the cold front pushes in behind this evening it will cause the milder uppers to mix downwards while simultaneously bringing in a colder airmass From a geek point of view it will be fascinating to see how this unfolds - cold be a freezing rain-sleet-snow-rain event for some.

edit: forgot to put in the actual fax chart:

Posted Image

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 6

Posted

Well a very dreich dull calm day here with what the "ancestors" would say has the feeling of snow coming. Currently 2.8c so snow may not be out of the question later today. Ground frozen quite hard first thing this morning so there is a cold base for it. Feels like there is something in the air and I know not at all scientific 

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted

Was lovely to see another sparkling frost again this morning as they have become like hen's teeth so far this winter. Only got down to -0.7c overnight but it was quite damp. Currently still feeling chilly at 2.3c/1.8c/E. Hope we manage a few flakes this evening before it all goes off on one again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon Kilties! Temp got down to just below freezing here last night, but the cloud has returned and brought rain with it. We are currently at 4.1c, baro 1005 and steady. Doesn't look like winter is even near to chappin' on oor door yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Leaving second son back to Pollock Halls to recommence his Engineering studies at Edinburgh Uni. this morning and what a contrast between there and Perth.

Edinburgh sunny and 7C, Perth dreich and a maximum of 1.2C and now falling! VERY foggy between Bridge of Earn and Glenfarg (visibility - 50 yards)

Very pleasant walk to Carrubbers church on The Royal Mile from Buccleuch Place at 11.30 and returning at 13.30.

• Like 3

Posted

Jealous of Drumochter at the moment......*sigh*

post-1989-0-20593500-1389545375_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Ok been into the MT and totally at a loss tbh.

Feelings mixed at what i can see is no major signs of mega snow or and easterly type event. Which is fab as eldest is off to school camp in one week and i'd probably be very worried if road conditions were treacherous, so it can snow all it likes after the 24th lol.

Still really missing having some snow, I know how you feel Blitzen. 

Anyways enough sadness, time for some cold weather lamb and roasties. Posted Image

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 1

Posted

Glasgow Airport is holding onto a low dew point for now, currently 4ºC/0ºC. It will be interesting to see how it pans out Posted Image

Edit: Latest METAR reporting 3ºC/-1ºC which is game on for snow Posted Image(or very cold rain Posted Image )

Sleet here in Kilmarnock so probably good news for those further north/higher altitude!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

SNOWING HERE!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Radar shows freezing rain for here which I would welcome briefly as I haven't seen it for about 30 years - but the reality is... no ppn at all!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

Some wet snow here in Coatbridge.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Overnight low here of -4.6C which is almost certainty the lowest of the year so far and even this winter so far. Not a very visible frost from that but the ground was still frozen solid at 3pm. Currently the temperature is 4.8/1.8C and rising slowly. In contrast to yesterday its been a grey, cold day rather than a bright cold day. Notable though that we've now gone 7 days with a total of 0mm of rain.

Not going to mention the models as its not worth the effort.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Sums up this winter nicely.........i actually got quite excited there ,when there was heavy sleet falling.....a slight covering on the car......has now given up....its pishin doon again!!!

• Like 3

Posted

There's two words I haven't seen in the same sentence for a couple of years Ross, that brings back the memories Posted Image

Edit: For anyone who hasn't been around here for more than a couple of years, I meant "sleet" and "Kilmarnock" as the two words.

Haha, driving back through to west Lothian soon so no doubt will be snow as I pass kilmalcom (well,within 10 miles or so!)

• Like 1