Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

spot on for me 88M :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

here everyone try this just put in your location and click on the part of street your house is on and it gives you your exact altitude

http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm

Ah..that explains where my winter's gone then. I'm 20ms lower than I thought!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

It's still trying hard to snaw here in Crieff - mixing between wet snaw and freezing rain with a dash of sleet chucked in for good measure. 

We have managed a bare covering though - just. Posted Image

Posted ImageCrieff snaw 12.i.14.jpg

Posted ImageCrieff snaw2 12.i.14.jpg

I would take it :)

• Like 1

Posted

1 metre higher than I thought.....not that 19 to 20 makes me feel high up

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

I would take it Posted Image

Will try and send some your way for the wee yin. Posted Image

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Glen Ogle getting plastered at the moment.

Posted

Will try and send some your way for the wee yin. Posted Image

cheers :) precipitation getting heavier and threatening sleet 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

I heard the weather forecast mention thundery showers tomorrow early evening I wonder if we might get some around Scotland cos we aint getting any snow soon and some thunder and lightning rocking around as its getting dark would certainly be a decent second prize.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Oops turns out I am 100m lower than I thought. Oh well Posted Image

Edited by Ross Andrew Hemphill
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Current Temp 2.2 DP -0.2 280 asl Raining here, I might need my ice skates in the morning :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

looks on raintoday like snow in quite a few places as we can see from the posts above.... but rain here and not even a hint of sleet.......feels very cold out and in the rain its brass monkey stuff.....

lily still going crazy at the lack of snow....I have bred a monster.......she was particulary upset as thought the frost was snow at first today......."its not fair I thought there was snow but its only jack frost" proceeded to throw her juice cup across the floor...... goodness knows what she will be like in the MT in future years!!

Why wait, get her in the MT now, she'd probably feel at home, what with all the prams, toys etc. On second thoughts she might be a bit too mature for it. Temperature is up to 5.2/2.9C now so not even close to marginal here. The rain/snow can stay the other side of the Cairngorm, or preferably on top of them where it might last. As least then I can get my boots out and go pay a visit to it since it seems not to want to come to me this year.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Rain on now, not freezing.  I see the Aurora prediction is the highest for a long time tonight... Sod's Law with this weather Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Been getting my snow fix (mildly) from French tv series, The Returned. Wonderful snowy mountain scenery at times.  We also had a short potter on half-frozen slush here this afternoon.  I hope LS's winter forecast isn't going pear-shaped.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Rain on now, not freezing.  I see the Aurora prediction is the highest for a long time tonight... Sod's Law with this weather Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Been getting my snow fix (mildly) from French tv series, The Returned. Wonderful snowy mountain scenery at times.  We also had a short potter on half-frozen slush here this afternoon.  I hope LS's winter forecast isn't going pear-shaped.

I hope not either, although it would be typical if it was the mild bit that verified but not the coldPosted Image Still got around a fortnight to get my 'beast from the east' started and with the strat warmings and lowering of zonal winds I'm not all that downbeat - reckon my temperature forecasts are once again going to be quite a bit too low though.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning folks. All things considered, the runs aren't too bad this morning. ECM has another go at an easterly, unfortunately uppers are a bit marginal I would say as Europe not as cold by that time? GFS kind of similar but has the easterly running over Scandy. UKMO not too bad either but only up to T144 so not sure how it would progress. As usual, no 850s are visible at the crucial time which makes it a bit difficult to compare for me.  UKMO at T144: GFS at T168 and ECM at T168.   Anyway, looks as if we might still have some wiggle room.

post-1989-0-74883900-1389598679_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-62887600-1389598842_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-31590000-1389599027_thumb.gi

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Fleeting chances of snow today as that front passes through.

NAE

post-7292-0-51745900-1389599219_thumb.gipost-7292-0-67579800-1389599227_thumb.gi

EURO4 & Evening Temps

post-7292-0-96635900-1389599241_thumb.gipost-7292-0-80128500-1389599249_thumb.gi

Chilly evening in store... just spotted a slack Easterly at 192hrs on ECM... Here we go again...

post-7292-0-39060300-1389599338_thumb.gi

Forecasts keen on some Thunder today for North England, so satellite and radar will be worth a look to see what crops up.

• Like 8

Posted

Morning all, on route back to a wet Londonshire again. Was up at Palacerigg yesterday, and was a very wintery scene, frozen ground with a crisp layer of snaw. Had a brief snaw shower last night, but quickly turned to rain. Ice all but gone this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Bright, sunny and cold morning here today with a temp of 0.3C at 9am and a dewpoint somewhere sub zero. Car was more frozen this morning than frost covered (only 0.2mm of overnight rain though), with a very pretty set of ferns on the windscreen that my son found fascinating. By his age (approaching 7) I was well aware of what frost/ice ferns were from my bedroom window in the winter. Despite how pretty they can be I've no desire to repeat my childhood experiences in that respect and will happily stick with my modern central heating and double glazing.

• Like 2

Posted

Case of steady as she  goes I think with 06z up to T192 - pointless looking further ahead with GFS. There are certainly similarities with ECM and at least it didn't upset any further interest in viewing the 12zs. I think we can remain interested but wary!

• Like 1

Posted

A late frost here with the temp at 0.3c when I left home at 8am. Interestingly it was colder in Crail than St Andrews/Leuchars.

Models seeming to indicate some pretty typical January weather on offer, with nothing particularly mild, or cold, on offer in the reliable. Looks pretty decent if you are a skier though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

As promised a couple of days ago, here's some photos taken at Sandend Bay (Moray coast between Portsoy & Cullen) on Saturday afternoon. A glorious day if well wrapped up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Surfers in Scotland are what you could call hardcore!

Edit : Pictures are a little on the large size if you click on them. Maybe I should have re-sized them but it took me long enough to get the links to them on Google Drive set up properly.

How'd you get a series of pictures on here like some manage, where once you've clicked on one picture you get a 'Prev' 'Next' option to go through them?

Excellent pictures!

You have the opposite problem to me - my pix are always shrunk which annoys the hell out of me!

Bright, sunny and cold morning here today with a temp of 0.3C at 9am and a dewpoint somewhere sub zero. Car was more frozen this morning than frost covered (only 0.2mm of overnight rain though), with a very pretty set of ferns on the windscreen that my son found fascinating. By his age (approaching 7) I was well aware of what frost/ice ferns were from my bedroom window in the winter. Despite how pretty they can be I've no desire to repeat my childhood experiences in that respect and will happily stick with my modern central heating and double glazing.

You know it's cold when there are ferns on the inside of double glazing. Haven't had that since winter 95/96!

Oo I do like exclamation marks this morning!!

Edited by Hairy Celt