Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

that year was very ordinary but I think he might have meant January 1917 as this is very similar to what they are seeing with an early push of cold

post-18233-0-28871700-1389657585_thumb.p

then mid month they saw another cold push then look what we saw

post-18233-0-19665100-1389657586_thumb.ppost-18233-0-87430800-1389657603_thumb.ppost-18233-0-14230100-1389657597_thumb.ppost-18233-0-10881800-1389657606_thumb.ppost-18233-0-32365600-1389657599_thumb.ppost-18233-0-01311600-1389657608_thumb.ppost-18233-0-64949800-1389657615_thumb.p

then into march we saw a cracking easterly but it didn't last long only a couple of days

post-18233-0-54099800-1389657608_thumb.ppost-18233-0-26408100-1389657617_thumb.ppost-18233-0-02082100-1389657618_thumb.ppost-18233-0-72024500-1389657618_thumb.p

CET's that winter were dec 1.9 jan 1.6 feb 0.9 and march 3.2

so with similar pattern in January we saw cold with it but we also had a cold December so don't know what correlation we can find from that but the starting point from here looks the same roughly and look what we have showing on ECM it does look similar.

just noticed from your original post that it was January 1917 you were on about I really do need to slow down and read posts properly lol.

for some reason the February chart is below and it wont let me fix it.

post-18233-0-06560600-1389660324_thumb.p

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

you wouldn't think there was flooding down south when you see this but after quite a dry spring and summer a lot of those totals would have been from the end of the year

post-18233-0-96988700-1389659604_thumb.p

Posted

posted this in the strat thread and thought I would put it in here as well its something I found on twitter of stratospheric waves observed on venus the article tells more

Discovery Space â€@Discovery_Space 47m

Mountains on Venus Make Waves in the Sky http://a-eng.in/1dLsCk8  by @JPMajor pic.twitter.com/7rzdqfvT3B

post-18233-0-05252000-1389669453_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Madainn mhath from a rather chilly Inverness this morning, -4.6'C out there and a thick frost. Could drop a bit lower yet I suppose as there's over an hour until sunrise proper.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Thanks for that BUS. Hopes still alive then if there is indeed a correlation. ECM  backs off from the easterly around the 144 mark but much better amplification upstream this morning. All is not lost, still looking chilly, a good run this morning imo as cold doesn't have to come from the east.  Plenty to keep us interested.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks for that BUS. Hopes still alive then if there is indeed a correlation. ECM  backs off from the easterly around the 144 mark but much better amplification upstream this morning. All is not lost, still looking chilly, a good run this morning imo as cold doesn't have to come from the east.  Plenty to keep us interested.Posted Image

I would say if it's a Scotland-wide cold spell you're looking for then cold should ideally come from the north or north east, the Highlands in particular are just too far west and sheltered (for example, snow showers would have to make it over 100 miles inland to reach here in an easterly wind). 

The Greenland High is Scotland's best friend, hopefully she makes a beautiful appearance this winter and what's always encouraging is that as the winter progresses, the likelihood of one increases. 

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' Kilties! A nice morning here, 1.4c at 8am, calm and cool. Nice! I'd like it a bit cooler though, some nice frosty days and starry nights and if you happen to have any snow, fling that in for good measure!

• Like 1

Posted

Well, well, -5.2'C at about quarter to 9, coldest temperature of the winter thus far! Posted Image

...actually that's quite a dire thought when I think of it! Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

OK this is getting frustrating!

Overnight low of -2.4C and even at 8:45am when I was leaving the house it was still -0.3C with the dewpoint below zero. Car was well iced up, the kind of ice that defies any attempt at scraping and only copious amounts of de-icer will do the job. Those kind of temperatures with showers incoming from the SE I expected there would be a change of seeing at least some falling snow, but oh no, when I drove through one of the showers on the way to work it was rain, and not even at all sleety. If the forecast of the BBC website is to be believed then not much chance of seeing snow after today until at least next week as the temps are too high.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A touch of freezing rain here briefly this morning. Now cloudy. 1.4C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

This link allows you to compare the models, I can't believe it has taken me so long to click on it on Meteociel as the link has been sitting there all the time. I think this is a reflection on how rubbish my French is, I only managed a German standard grade, French was too much for me Posted Image

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/comp_panel.php?mode=0&ech=120&size=0

Ditto!Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I think this is just one of those winters where the only snow chance is marginal. So highly unlikely we will get anything in the next 10 days. We are then looking at Feb to deliver for us. Just too much mild air over North West Europe. The pattern is persistant. At least the ski centres in the west are doing well. Lowland snow event is looking unlikely this winter unless a dramatic and unpredicted change occurs. I would take a two day lying snow at this stage that's how desperate I am!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Looks like the ECM00Z is siding with yesterday's GFS12Z. Easterly? What easterly. Looking zonal next week and beyond. Head to the hills if you want snow where there'll be plenty of it at times.

Posted Image

Edited by snow1975
  • Like 1

Posted

I think this is just one of those winters where the only snow chance is marginal. So highly unlikely we will get anything in the next 10 days. We are then looking at Feb to deliver for us. Just too much mild air over North West Europe. The pattern is persistant. At least the ski centres in the west are doing well. Lowland snow event is looking unlikely this winter unless a dramatic and unpredicted change occurs. I would take a two day lying snow at this stage that's how desperate I am!

Bad sleep last night Nov? Posted Image

Posted

Bad sleep last night Nov? Posted Image

No Scunnered! Waiting since December 1st for some snow. Here I am 6 weeks later still waiting. Just as well I am skier or I would never seen proper snow this year! Certainly wasn't up lampost watching LOL! Haven't done that this year! I think we are due a break ....c'mon snow!
  • Like 2

Posted

No Scunnered! Waiting since December 1st for some snow. Here I am 6 weeks later still waiting. Just as well I am skier or I would never seen proper snow this year! Certainly wasn't up lampost watching LOL! Haven't done that this year! I think we are due a break ....c'mon snow!

Last measurable snowfall here (i.e. more than a dusting) was December 2010. You've got to be mad  patient to be a snowlover in coastal NE Fife!

Situation summed up well by others this morning: plenty of snow for the hills but little sign of a significant widespread snowfall event for the heavily populated areas of Scotland. Nothing very mild on the cards either: 850s generally look to be in the range +5c to -5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Me too, i'll bring some food to keep us going :)

• Like 6

Posted

Must be tough for the kids though. Imagine you grew up and never got a snowball fight or sledging. Used to love winter as a kid slides,snowball fights,winter adventures on the canal.....Aye them were days 2010/11 lol.

• Like 1

Posted

well I am still holding firm with my thoughts that we will see another go at Greenland before the month is out and it should be a better shot this time with a greater chance of it landing as the second push out the atlantic just didn't work this time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Must be tough for the kids though. Imagine you grew up and never got a snowball fight or sledging. Used to love winter as a kid slides,snowball fights,winter adventures on the canal.....Aye them were days 2010/11 lol.

Funny you should say that as I was looking out the window this morning and my 6yr old son asked "is it snowing?". I replied "No, but it might" (there was some slight hope). His exasperated reply "Oh, when is it going to snow, so the children can have some fun?". My explanation that it doesn't always snow in winter and that he was lucky that since he was born there's been some good snowy winters didn't seem to go down too well.

• Like 3

Posted

Or more precisely: "ich auch" Posted Image I am always surprised at how much German I remember, my Standard Grade was 21 years ago now.

As for the charts, I feel a song coming on: "Cold air to the east of me, cold air to the west, here I am, stuck in the middle with goo". OK, so it was funnier in my head Posted ImagePosted Image

Edit: On a happier note, I'm off today so I'm making soup; butternut squash and I'm going to head out to get some nice crusty bread to go with it. And we're going to have a big roast chicken tonight, with plenty of leftovers for chicken & salad cream sandwiches for lunch tomorrow. Yum!

that's it we are all raiding catches house for a good feed.

remember though catch if theres no snow the chicken stays in the oven and out the bin Posted Image

• Like 2