Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Felt quite chilly here today. Currently 1.9c/1.6c from a high of 2.7c this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Plenty of snaw last night on the hills surrounding Crieff and even a covering just outside the town on the road to Muthill but nothing in the town itself.

Was just wondering how this winter currently stands compared to the last relatively poor one we had in 2011-12?

My perception is that it has generally been worse for all us cauldie Kilters, but that could be my ageing memory playing tricks on me.

What's the general view of how the second half of meteorological winter is shaping up amongst fellow Kilters? Snawfest or nawfest?

Would even take a few more decent cauld, clear nights at this stage - opps to use the telescope have been extremely limited this winter so far, too.

In the meantime, will keep chasing the charts... until Easter! ;-)>

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

December was awful really awful. However January has been mildish but not without cold days. I think if we had a good cold spell in December then we would take average for a few weeks in Jan. It's because we have had above average temps for the whole of December and Jan is non descript that the winter can be described as mild and damp so far. We could have a really cold Feb /March which would make up for it. However I always think that snow in March is quicker to disappear due to longer days and warmer sun.Before we had the cold of 2009/10/11. The winters were much like this one for a few years. It was a case of marginal snow that never came due to the uppers which was frustrating.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Funny you should say that as I was looking out the window this morning and my 6yr old son asked "is it snowing?". I replied "No, but it might" (there was some slight hope). His exasperated reply "Oh, when is it going to snow, so the children can have some fun?". My explanation that it doesn't always snow in winter and that he was lucky that since he was born there's been some good snowy winters didn't seem to go down too well.

Times/Climate must be well different noo?Ah cannae remember a Snawless Winter when ah wiz young??Cannae even imagine nae Sledgin, Snabaw fights or buildin a Snawman, back then it wiz a given!Winters brought plenty Snaw & Ice and Summers brought plenty dry days Sunshine & heat.Christ, wi must have had something called Seasons???Ahhh fkn spoiled wi withur we were, spoiled!!!Big Innes Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

As a Jags fan, I can relate to the fitba analogy only too well! But never give up!

Posted

Aye Innes I cannot remember, not having a snow event between Mid November and mid Jan when I was a laddie. We used to have our first snow slide in November. Back then November was the start of winter, now people call November autumn in Scotland!

As a Jags fan, I can relate to the fitba analogy only too well! But never give up!

Another Jags fan excellent! I thought I was the only one on here.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Fog Is still here and not budging!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Would even take a few more decent cauld, clear nights at this stage - opps to use the telescope have been extremely limited this winter so far, too.

Agreed Polar Gael my telescopes are likewise moribund.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Agreed Polar Gael my telescopes are likewise moribund.

My telescope has been under wraps for so long it doesn't know what the night sky looks like! Still cloudy and cool here.....longing for winter to arrive!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

so it's a little like watching your football team heading to half time 1-0 down. If we're still having the same let-downs by the end of February then even I'll concede it's almost time to give up, but that's six long weeks away.

I'm a Leeds United fan and this winter is like the 6-0 thrashing they took last Saturday Catch! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I dunno, there are more Jags fans in this thread than turn up at Firhill every week Posted Image

12z GFS isn't heralding a new ice age, but it isn't mild. Limbo land beckons.

It's good synoptically but the lack of a proper cold pool to the east is slightly perverse given the time of year:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still, better than nothing, and the longer that Scandi High hangs around the better chance we have of a proper SSW by the end of the month and a shot at something genuinely impressive for cold.

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

It's good synoptically but the lack of a proper cold pool to the east is slightly perverse given the time of year:

I've have a work thing in Berlin next week. I was hoping to get at least one week of winter under my belt over there. Not looking likely at the minute. It's depressing LOL

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

looks like its going to be another evening for the ducks

post-18233-0-28799100-1389720567_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

NASA 0z today was giving hints as well to what ECM 12z yesterday and others today have been hinting at with a possible easterly.

post-18233-0-40323100-1389722469_thumb.p

this model has hinted at this a few times over the past days even before ECM yesterday

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A cold blue day here - north-east Sutherland - with high cloud only messing with the sunset.  The ground was frozen all day and I got one of my winter favourites, broken ice skittering over the car roof. Yee har Posted Image ... Nice to be able to walk across crunchy bogs and keep dry feet too.

Some of you astronomers should move up here - there have been enough clear nights to persuade me to finally part with some readies & launch another expensive hobby.  Will give me something other than watching tv and emptying bottles at any rate.

Internet connection up here isn't quite light-speed tho...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

^^ Great programme, BBC4 also has one on later about the Eiger. Another fascinating watch.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Seen as the model output is sending everyone round the twist. Spare 7 minutes watch this and marvel at the fact that we are all still here.

Truly Mind Boggling..

http://myscienceacademy.org/2014/01/11/time-lapse-map-of-every-nuclear-explosion-ever-on-earth/

• Like 6

Posted

Aye must be another benefit of the Union.We get to radiate our planet.Good luck selling that one Darling!lol

• Like 4

Posted

Seen as the model output is sending everyone round the twist. Spare 7 minutes watch this and marvel at the fact that we are all still here.

Truly Mind Boggling..

http://myscienceacademy.org/2014/01/11/time-lapse-map-of-every-nuclear-explosion-ever-on-earth/

that's got to have added to global warming cos aint the explosions as hot as the surface of the sun that's why they vaporize people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

5.5/4.7C here this morning with light winds, plenty of grey cloud and the occasional rain shower. Depressing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Driech, dreich and dreich again!  And mild...7c and murky. Can't tell you how much I hate it!