Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Genuine question relating to the models. If the meto are seeing 10/15% poss of an easterly then that would suggest that the ECM GFS and UKMO have about 1 in 8 chance of producing a run that shows that outcome. If we then take the morning output from last Wednesday when there was cross model agreement, is this more coincidence when modeled at t144 plus?If we then see further runs showing consistency then this would suggest the % chance of it happening have increased or I am I wrong?Thanks in advance.

I believe Ian F said yesterday that even if we got an easterly Met Office thinking is that getting deep cold in and having it persisting is even more highly unlikely, it's a real long shot. Realistically I think we have to look beyond this opportunity and into late January-February for the next chance of a cold spell. Plenty of time left and anything could happen by February. Not sure this wild goose chase is worth the bother to be honest.

• Like 4

Posted

It's constant! We keep thinking 1step forward but then it's two steps back again! Stuck in a miserable rut!

It's not really though - as is often the case here people look much too far ahead and take it as gospel. This leads to the usual mood swings. It's been going on for many years and is highly unlikely to ever change.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

It depends what products they're using, the ensembles are generally often split with an easterly and don't normally jump fully across until much nearer the time, its not like a northerly toppler which is much easier to model.

Also when the UKMO mention easterly we're not getting the full story because for them an easterly might be the deep cold variety, some of those solutions may show a more se with an undercut but they won't class that as perhaps a proper easterly.

At the moment and given tonights outputs I'd put a deep cold easterly at still only around 20%, a snow event with a se undercut at 60%, an undercut with cold extending 50%.

If the trough disrupts favourably to the west and the UK continues to sit at the cold/milder boundary that does have a chance of giving some snow events.

IMO a proper easterly that people want to see is that one with deep cold uppers that can deliver snow showers, in terms of a slacker easterly flow I'd put the percentage higher but I think what the UKMO might be using is the deeper cold variety, maybe Ian F will clarify this later.

I like those percentages! Ian did say that there was a "10% chance of a colder E/SE'rly" but we will see tonight what they think about their own run in the fax....

Anyway back to the discussion, the latest CMA looking good at 144hrs -168hrs:

'Faux' easterly as Nick likes to call it, followed by the undercut @168hrs and with -3C uppers/SE flow, snow could be seen (even at lower levels) if there is any PPN related to the low:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Also with all the models updated, there seems to be a broad consensus that a NW flow will develop after with low pressure to the N/NW, an Atlantic ridge and lowered heights over Europe:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 5

Posted

just as yesterdays 12z ecm op was implausible (unlikely) around iceland with the high heights, so todays is with the low ones at days 7/8. that probably means the depth of the surface low is overdone. less pressure on the block will mean the trough not as far east when it disrupts se. perfectly in line with earlier thoughts as to where we are. solidly in line with the general ens guidance, despite the swings back and forth on the ops. nicks comments re undercutting is the way forward and a very stressful one for us i'm afraid becasue the way the trough disrupts and exactly what track it takes will be sooo difficult to pin down !

• Like 5

Posted

just as yesterdays 12z ecm op was implausible (unlikely) around iceland with the high heights, so todays is with the low ones at days 7/8. that probably means the depth of the surface low is overdone. less pressure on the block will mean the trough not as far east when it disrupts se. perfectly in line with earlier thoughts as to where we are. solidly in line with the general ens guidance, despite the swings back and forth on the ops. nicks comments re undercutting is the way forward and a very stressful one for us i'm afraid becasue the way the trough disrupts and exactly what track it takes will be sooo difficult to pin down !

Lol! yes whilst this thread is all in together at the moment, there could be a severe case of IMBYISM breaking out shortly if we see westwards corrections and more favourable trough disruption.

Given the paucity of snow so far it could get very ugly in here!!!

• Like 8

Posted

Worryingly the Chinese model is showing an easterly at day 6:

Posted Image

Hope I haven't jinxed it - I'll get my coat!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Likely outlook for Canada

Posted Image

Likely outlook for the UK

Posted Image

Unless the Scandi pumps iron !

only is some parts of Canada where i live this will be me with those charts

post-2495-0-85732400-1389729585_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

Some of the Pro's don't think much af the battleground snow possibility. This is from Liam Dutton

"@liamdutton: Whilst it'll be chilly at times during next 7 days, there's no sign of any notable cold or snow. Mild & wet the theme so far this winter.

• Like 1

Posted

I think people should face facts, there is now nothing cold, as in snow and hard frosts going to happen in the next ten days, or longer. Unless meto is on board, these possible cold scenarios will not happen. That 10% chance is the lowest possible chance I can imagine meto will give, can't imagine they will ever say 0%....

• Like 2

Posted

Seriously, I give up. Not with winter, not even with this 'Easterly' but with trying to pre-empt what any model is going to output next! We've seen far greater model inconsistencies than this through the years but this is, I don't know, I can't put my finger on it, all a bit weird... I know, not very scientific but it has been like the weather has ground to a halt. I remember reading somewhere recently about a longwave pattern involving a quad low pressure setup (across the hemisphere) where this can effectively occur. 

We need a kickstart from upstream. Signs are promising, especially liking the MJO at last looking like it will wake up from the circle of 'meh' and most going into high amplitude (and benefial for HLB) phase 7. That forecast big surge of WAA Polewards off the Eastern Pacific should shake things up a bit downstream later on and at last a consistent warming forecast in the Strat, maybe not an impending SSW (yet) but it can only help.

I suppose at least we are not being teased with severe Arctic charts and then having them snatched away last minute. Perhaps it is a reflection on the state of this winter that we are chasing, almost obsessively at times, any sort of continental feed! All part of the fun I suppose Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Some of the Pro's don't think much af the battleground snow possibility. This is from Liam Dutton"@liamdutton: Whilst it'll be chilly at times during next 7 days, there's no sign of any notable cold or snow. Mild & wet the theme so far this winter.

tbh, the initial trough will struggle to undercut cold enough surface flow because europe isnt cold enough at the moment. if it disrupts across us and is slack, then we will develop our own little cold pool over a couple of days. hills favoured under those criteria bit not exclusively. its the second trough beyond day 7 which has more chance of undercutting surface cold off the continent. i note the ecm ens mean is a bit east, but the anomoly is backed a bit west and the spreads show its 'game on' as to where it will sink.

and further to some of the posts above - its january - we dont need deep cold to create the conditions for snowfall.

the ecm op just past generates maxes sat onwards of 3c, 2c, 3c, 7c, 3c across the midlands and n england. the 7c in the brief warm sector. what if that were backed west a hundred miles - it isnt far.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters

Some of the Pro's don't think much af the battleground snow possibility. This is from Liam Dutton"@liamdutton: Whilst it'll be chilly at times during next 7 days, there's no sign of any notable cold or snow. Mild & wet the theme so far this winter.

Well my glass is half full and he does say "notable" which implies they may be some about and looking at the model output I don't think anyone would dismiss the chance of a cold and snow outbreak in the next ten days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down
Good evening. Here is the report on the 12 midday outputs from GFS, UKMO, GEM, NAVGEM and ECM for tonight Tuesday January 14th 2014 taken from http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/Model-Analysis(2859336).htm

All models show a warm front crossing the UK as I type with rain spilling East across the UK in rapidly turning milder weather. The South then becomes drizzly later in the night and at first tomorrow while the North sees the early night rain and hill snow continue throughout with any snow turning back to rain. Tomorrow shows a cold front moving East over the UK with showery rain as it goes clearing to showers in the West later. The rest of the week and weekend is typified by the close proximity of Low pressure with showers or longer spells of rain, heavy in places with some drier and brighter spells as well most likely towards the East and NE.

GFS then shows next week with colder weather making it's way across the UK from the East briefly with the threat of some wintry showers for a time as Low pressure fills it's way SE over France. It isn't long before the pattern reverts to form with Atlantic wind and rain on fronts crossing East in association with depressions to the North takes hold once more. Throughout the run apart from the brief colder interlude early next week temperatures will remain close to average with a rather chilly and strong breeze at times.

The GFS Ensembles reflect the operational run quite well tonight with unsettled and changeable weather expected for all areas through most of the time. A brief colder interlude is shown within the ensembles too early next week though most members that support this go the way of returning milder air back soon afterwards.

UKMO closes it's run with filling Low pressure sliding SE across the UK and on over Europe leaving very slack conditions across the UK with a legacy of cloud and patchy rain or even sleet in places as things turn rather colder.

GEM shows a ridge of High pressure building NE towards Southern Britain early next week with early week rain clearing to a drier and brighter phase in the South for a time. Later the weather returns changeable and wet at times again as further fronts and attendant Low pressure moves East to the North of the UK. By the end of the run winds have swung NW with sunshine and showers, wintry in the North.

NAVGEM shows a similar trend to GEM but develops the ridge less and further South meaning the path to continued Atlantic dominated weather over the UK is easier with further Low pressure areas crossing East over or to the North of the UK with rain and showers at times in average temperatures.

ECM shows largely changeable weather continuing next week. A drier interlude looks likely under a weak ridge at the start of the week before further Atlantic Low pressure continues to deliver rain at times in very average overall conditions for January though it could turn rather colder at times later next week.

The ECM 9 and 10 Day Mean Charts look very similar to this morning with a trough strecthing SE down the East of the Uk from Low pressure to the NW and SE and High well to the SW and NE. Scrolling between the two days shows little overall change with the Azores High notably strong.

The Jet Stream continues to flow to the South of the UK and Southern Europe over the coming week. Later in the output it appears that the flow may strengthen while moving across the Atlantic into the UK before once more progressing into Southern Europe.

In Summary tonight the indecision remains with regard to specific weather detail next week as approaching Atlantic depressions split with one portion sending energy NE while some energy moves SE across the UK with resultant slack pressure at times under Low pressure. As is alwas the case under these synoptics weather details are always hard to pin down with some rain and showers inevitable with some snow on Northern hills while other areas see dry and bright weather at times too. There is still some hope that something might develop from the East should more energy spill SE from these depressions than is currently shown but with the Atlantic remaining strong and some indication of a Jet flow strengthening later next week the favourite option remains for unsettled and Atlantic based weather to continue to run the show over the British Isles for the time being.
Edited by Gibby
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I think people should face facts, there is now nothing cold, as in snow and hard frosts going to happen in the next ten days, or longer. Unless meto is on board, these possible cold scenarios will not happen. That 10% chance is the lowest possible chance I can imagine meto will give, can't imagine they will ever say 0%....

Well given that even the professionals are mentioning high uncertainty, then I think your fact is just an opinion, for which some of the models disagree with. 

The point is we don't really know where we are heading, even beyond about day 3 at the moment apart from the next approach low will disrupt with x amount going north east and y amount going south east, the value of x and y being critical to what happens over the UK. Given the operations are all over the place and giving no realistic trend then I would say that all options are open.

Model wise, the ECM ens from my viewpoint have ore members colder than the op in the mid range with better trough disruption. Though someone who can quickly view the postage stamps can agree and correct me otherwise.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Sorry, apart from high ground...I meant widespread and notable cold/snow

with huge miss modelling andwide divergence in any singular evolution for a colder scenario ATM the last thing anyone should be pinning there hopes ar probabilities on is snowfall. As all are aware this is areal headache at present as regards models. And we would need to be 100% of colder inflow before talk of the white stuff should even be flagged.
  • Like 1

Posted

Well after a forced absence it appears the models are still as confused as ever, but the favourable outcome still appears to a trough more or less sat over us with rain/cold rain being the form horse for lower elevations in England/Wales with any snow restricted to higher ground and at times lower elevations North of the Border. So it's as you were then, lots of promise but the same old same old continues.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 1

Posted

Don't know about a sustained spell of bitter cold ie an easterly but I'd say there's a very high probability of a frontal system stalling across the UK, bumping into relatively cold 850's and falling as snow. 

While a raging easterly appears unfounded for now (what with the core of cold pushing back east over NE Europe) we should be able to tap into some -5 850's. 

If I were to go a step further you could potentially see several frontal systems trying to push in giving many periods of snowfall. The block is putting up a fight so while at face value the output is underwhelming it has alot of potential. 

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The azores high is never going to be left alone to build north and that is why it does matter what is happening in America, when it comes to our weather.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Frost, Thunder and Storms

I think it looks likely that if we are to see any now next week it is more likely to come from a cold north-westerly rather than an easterly with northern and western areas especially high ground most prone - while GFS and ECM FI show the block receding eastwards somewhat, they do not show typical south-west to northeast zonality but rather lows diving down on a north-west to south-east axis - John Holmes anomoly charts would also back this up - I would love a screaming easterly next week but being realistic no model, met office etc. are on that page.

it is what happens after mid next week that will determine our weather for late Jan / early Feb - hopefully those south-east diving lows will trigger a rise of pressure to the west which would allow the block to the north-east become a bigger player as we enter the last third of winter proper and possibly our first proper cold spell. Tentative signs in some outputs for this to happen. Some encouraging signs also such as the pacific ridge coming more in to play and events high up in the stat could also aid us going forward.

This winter has really been a waiting game for us all searching for proper cold / possible snow - hopefully that wait is nearly over. maybe the GFS 18z will pull a rabbit out of the hat

EWS 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Another recent trend is after some yet more disruption to the PV amplification becomes strong over the pacific and starting to create so very 'pokey' highs towards the pole.

Open these two here.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014011412/ECH1-240.GIF?14-0

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014011412/gfsnh-0-240.png?12

Looking in the Pacific area you can see things they are pretty close in strength, shape and position. There is no need to be ticked off about recent outputs as the chance for a cold spell sooner or later is looking increasingly likely.

Just add to my post here is the mean.

Posted Image

Big yellow thumb sticking out there.

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

very subtle changes at the 90 hr mark on the 18z ie ridging not as strong and the low slightly further north,effect later on?Roy Orbison at 120hrs on this run

Edited by swfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

I think the 18z will be different to the 12z with the Scandi high sinking by 114hrs:

Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis